Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
and there are plenty of posts in this thread defending the city council.
I only see one in this 7 page thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:37 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
funny, they are fighting imagined discrimination with REAL discrimination.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I only see one in this 7 page thread.
I see plenty of people defending it in the last 3 pages, but then that is typical change the argument as opposed to deal with the issue at hand.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The whole point in this is that I agree that if CF-A won't be open on Sundays during normal FF business hours, they shouldn't get the DIA concession. They've made the decision to remain closed on Sundays. The respective DIA (or whoever) authorities made the decision to serve their patronage full-time instead of part-time. I can respect that. Free market at work.
I agree...to a point.

If it's a decision based on choosing a type of restaurant (for example, here it might be between KFC and CFA), then being open for full service would be a fair issue; after all, an airport has a limited amount of space for food vendors. Isn't Sunday one of the highest travel days of the week?

This may not be that unlike when I was a school principal, and certain purchases/contracts needed to be put out on bid. We didn't have to take the lowest bid, but we had to be able to outline why we made a choice that was not the lowest bid. For example, in a Yearbook contract, we didn't go with the lowest bid, because that company had certain deadlines that we felt were unreasonable. Another year we didn't go with a particular company because we could point to timeliness in shipments of supplies for industrial arts. So to me, being closed on a big travel day would be a poor case for CFA to get one of the limited spaces in the airport.

Last edited by phetaroi; 08-26-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 01:26 PM

28 posts, read 17,200 times
The airport isn't taking a % cut of the revenue. It's leasing space. If the shop wants to leave it dark on Sunday, God bless them.

On signage every weekend, they can even also explain to their prospective customers why.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:43 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipstertrendie View Post
The airport isn't taking a % cut of the revenue. It's leasing space. If the shop wants to leave it dark on Sunday, God bless them.

On signage every weekend, they can even also explain to their prospective customers why.
Percentage Rent is common in malls and food courts - the landlord gets a % of sales above a threshold. Management at a municipal airport has a duty to provide suitable eating options to passengers and should have the right to say that outlets must be open 7 days a week. I don't know if CFA closes on Sundays at other airports.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:32 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Probably KFC paid them off and is afraid Chick Fil A will take their business.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:06 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-sex-marriage/

Since Chick Fil-A is not guilty of 1) discriminating in their hiring practices, and 2) discriminating on whom they serve, I see a very fat lawsuit coming against the city of Denver.

The owners of Chick Fil-A have religious views that include marriage as one man and one woman, but they still are following the law. THIS is a freedom of religion issue. You have a company that follows the law, but also has PERSONAL beliefs which is prohibiting them from getting their lease renewed.
One of the main reasons why Chick-Fil-A is not getting the license is because of their policy on closing on Sundays. Since that is 1/7 of the week they are closed; that means valuable retail space is being taken up by an establishment that is shut down one day of the week. Considering it is an airport which has people coming and going every day of the week and any time of day; this is unacceptable from a business standpoint.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
CFA operates six days a week and still has higher sales volume per sqft than all of those other chains. Chipotle is a close second.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 PM

28 posts, read 17,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Percentage Rent is common in malls and food courts - the landlord gets a % of sales above a threshold. Management at a municipal airport has a duty to provide suitable eating options to passengers and should have the right to say that outlets must be open 7 days a week. I don't know if CFA closes on Sundays at other airports.
Here's the rent structure at DIA:

"What is the rent structure?

"The rent is equal to a Minimum Annual Guarantee (MAG) which is the rate per square foot or a Percentage Fee, whichever is greater. The Percentage Fee is established in the RFP document according to the concession policy.

"Retail $70 per square foot
"Food/Beverage $59 per square foot
"Services $36 per square foot
"Office Space $59 per square foot
"Storage Space $12 per square foot"

business.flydenver.com/bizops/documents/faqs.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies