Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:58 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I read your first link, at least most of it. Without the prison camp, the acronym might have been different, but the religious views would still be in existence, as again, they have been since the 7th century. But again, but for our withdrawal in 2011, ISIS would not have been able to establish political/military control in much of Iraq.

Note that this is the 2nd time I've posted this. If you can't respond to the point, other than to reiterate your initial claim (to which I DID respond), I'm not going to post it a 3rd time.
Bush, America, the West or even Obama for that matter did not create the ideology that drives ISIS. Agreed. Unfortunately, the invasion, specifically the prison camps, provided unique opportunities for this virulent political strain to replicate itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
JFK got shot before Vietnam heated up. Vietnam dates back to Ike anyway. JFK was around too short sadly to really effect the changes to be blamed. LBJ is villified by conservatives for the Great Society, by liberals for Vietnam and by libertarians for Nam and the Civil Rights Act. That's the hat-trick like Bush has. Obama is just has conservatives and libertarians against him.
the thing that Obama has that the others don't have is TIME.

there is plenty of time for history to show he was on its wrong side. plenty....

HOWEVER I am very willing to say, I cannot be unbiased about Obama. so take what I say about him with a grain of salt. all these threads that talk about judging a president, I always say it takes 20 years before you can objectively sort out what they did and didn't do.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
come on. you cannot be so intellectually dishonest to think ISIS as we know it today, would have been what it is, had we stayed!

the men who are now the leaders were evil suckers we locked up. they claim because of "American Brutality" they came up with ISIS. Really? you want to believe these guys?

Had we stayed all along and been serious about it, Iraq would be years further down the road to stability. JUST like Germany was in the wake of WW2.

instead we did in Iraq just what the Allies (including the US under Wilson) did in the aftermath of WW1.

WE LEFT

AND leaving is why ISIS is what it is TODAY.
I don't know if it is intellectual dishonesty. I think it is more denial. It's literally a lack of capacity to comprehend, because comprehension would bring forth a conclusion that is too horrible to face, namely that ISIS is and will be a big part of the Obama legacy.

If John McCain, or even Joe Biden (remember that Biden at one time sought the 2008 nomination) had won in 2008, I believe that they would not have ceded large areas of Iraq to ISIS as Obama has.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Bush, America, the West or even Obama for that matter did not create the ideology that drives ISIS. Agreed. Unfortunately, the invasion, specifically the prison camps, provided unique opportunities for this virulent political strain to replicate itself.
Not sure you would agree with me on this... but your post brought a thought to my mind.

its ironic that we were likely too restrictive on our rules of engagement on the battlefield and at the same time, we failed miserably in dealing with those we took prisoner on those same battlefields.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it is intellectual dishonesty. I think it is more denial. It's literally a lack of capacity to comprehend, because comprehension would bring forth a conclusion that is too horrible to face, namely that ISIS is and will be a big part of the Obama legacy.

If John McCain, or even Joe Biden (remember that Biden at one time sought the 2008 nomination) had won in 2008, I believe that they would not have ceded large areas of Iraq to ISIS as Obama has.
it is certainly true that Mr. Obama's doctrinal view of American foreign policy is to withdraw and to not project strength.

History will judge but from my very biased view, history will not be kind.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:15 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Are they the same.... 6 of one, half a dozen of another?

or, are they different, in your opinion?
The blame bush crowd has Obama actively engaged in the same.

The blame obama crowd does not have GWB as cheerleader or actively engaged in the same.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:20 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Cool story bro. The only problem is that it was Bush who signed the SOFA that lead to the withdrawal. Can you really not remember basic facts about recent history?

Bush’s finest moment on Iraq: SOFA, not the surge | Foreign Policy
Bush signed it, and I can agree that the agreement was a mistake. Pres. Obama executed it, however, in 2011. Are you able to admit that as a mistake? Not long after the 2011 withdrawal there were calls from the Iraqi foreign minister and others for a return of US troops. Obama ignored them. We'll never know, but I suspect that a Pres. McCain or Biden would not have ignored them.

BTW can you make a post without the annoying & condescending insults?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:35 PM

595 posts, read 368,367 times
Quote:
Bush signed it, and I can agree that the agreement was a mistake. Pres. Obama executed it, however, in 2011. Are you able to admit that as a mistake? Not long after the 2011 withdrawal there were calls from the Iraqi foreign minister and others for a return of US troops. Obama ignored them. We'll never know, but I suspect that a Pres. McCain or Biden would not have ignored them.

BTW can you make a post without the annoying & condescending insults?
Actually Obama tried to renegotiate it. The people of Iraq wanted the U.S. gone.
Iraq’s Government, Not Obama, Called Time on the U.S. Troop Presence | TIME.com

Even if the U.S. stayed past 2011 what would the plan be to leave, as McCain and others like him would like to occupy the region forever. The occupation of Iraq is what tremendously helped the Jihad gain support to fight the U.S., whether it was monetarily or manpower.

It was idiotic to go to Iraq in the first place, and it was the right call to leave. Otherwise instead of Iraqis, Syrians, etc.. dying in the mess over there right now it would still be U.S. troops.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
We'll never know, right?

He was a ruthless butcher but would have never been overthrown without the US. JMO
Ruthless butchers are ok in the Mideast they are functional to their system of government and the truth is the people like that in a leader

Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
You're wrong--no precipitous withdrawal, no ISIS--at least not in Iraq. ISIS is merely practicing a variant of fundamentalist Islam. It has been around since the 7th century. It was not created by Bush, invasion, or an American prison camp.
What do you allege here?? that we should have stayed in Iraq indefinitely? isn't it bad enough we were there as long as we were (and AT ALL) and the trillions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ we spent, for WHAT???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies