Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:45 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In 2014 Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage.

A widely publicized article by economist Mark Perry declared that in the first half of 2015, Seattle restaurants had their single greatest job loss numbers since the Great Depression.

"However, the same reporting agency whose statistics Perry quoted in his article just released their most recent job statistics and it turns out that his fear of Great Depression levels of unemployment crippling Seattle due to their minimum wage hike were perhaps a bit overdramatic.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is now reporting that restaurants in Seattle have just posted their largest overall jobs gain in history with more than 2,500 jobs added in the last month, as well as an overall two month gain of more than 3,700 jobs."

Conservative Myth DESTROYED: Seattle Restaurants Post Largest Monthly Job Gain Ever
This was a great thread!
And it appears that those people who can actually read and apply the facts as they actually are, have taken katzpaw to the cleaners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Like all partisan articles the OP cherry picks data.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Lol, quick take-down of another liberal fraud

Old 08-26-2015, 04:04 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Actually the funny part is how many conservatives are going on about how small of a change it is.....whereas before they were going on and on about how it would doom Seattle, and listed restaurant closings as "proof".

Old 08-26-2015, 04:29 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Bump me September 2017.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
I'll be there tomorrow for 6-days. We especially like Lola, Etta's, Elliott's and Palomino. That will be a lot of meals-out and not having to leave a tip. Great city.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:12 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually the funny part is how many conservatives are going on about how small of a change it is.....whereas before they were going on and on about how it would doom Seattle, and listed restaurant closings as "proof".
Sure because it was initially presented as $15 Now! (IIRC that was the official name of one of the groups pushing for it). But by the time Seattle's ultra-progressive mayor Ed Murray (Seattle's first gay mayor) got done with it, it was $15 in 7 years. Why? Because a)Ed Murray is no dummy; he knows how supply-demand works even though he can never admit to it; b)he'll be 67, and probably retired from public office. He has had a long political career and will be 67 in 2021.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Sure because it was initially presented as $15 Now! (IIRC that was the official name of one of the groups pushing for it). But by the time Seattle's ultra-progressive mayor Ed Murray (Seattle's first gay mayor) got done with it, it was $15 in 7 years. Why? Because a)Ed Murray is no dummy; he knows how supply-demand works even though he can never admit to it; b)he'll be 67, and probably retired from public office. He has had a long political career and will be 67 in 2021.
Actually, I am all for the $15/hr wage rate. But it shouldn't be done in one year. I dont know if I would pick 7, maybe 4. So yeah I agree with you, he is no dummy. Its the right way to do this. But even with that caveat a lot of conservatives here were freaking out.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually, I am all for the $15/hr wage rate. But it shouldn't be done in one year. I dont know if I would pick 7, maybe 4. So yeah I agree with you, he is no dummy. Its the right way to do this. But even with that caveat a lot of conservatives here were freaking out.
So you are a software guy. On what basis do you come up with these numbers? Why $15, and why 4 years?

edit: I don't think conservatives were "freaking out." In the first place there are almost no conservatives in Seattle proper. Rep. Jim McDermott, who is on the far left spectrum of congress critters, routinely wins with 80+%. I don't care what they do in Seattle; I rarely even visit there any more. I have everything I need in Bellevue.

Actually I think it will be an interesting economics experiment to see what happens. A lot depends on how long the current economic boom in this area keeps going.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In 2014 Seattle enacted a $15 minimum wage.

A widely publicized article by economist Mark Perry declared that in the first half of 2015, Seattle restaurants had their single greatest job loss numbers since the Great Depression.

"However, the same reporting agency whose statistics Perry quoted in his article just released their most recent job statistics and it turns out that his fear of Great Depression levels of unemployment crippling Seattle due to their minimum wage hike were perhaps a bit overdramatic.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is now reporting that restaurants in Seattle have just posted their largest overall jobs gain in history with more than 2,500 jobs added in the last month, as well as an overall two month gain of more than 3,700 jobs."

Conservative Myth DESTROYED: Seattle Restaurants Post Largest Monthly Job Gain Ever

Are all of the areas included in that graph under the $15 mandate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies