Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 12:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Then I guess these people (which I would venture to say represent a very hefty chunk of all Americans) would tell you they like crap.
Crap makes them happy. Who are you to tell them crap shouldn't make them happy? What...you're some commie government or something?
Therefore financing crap makes them happy.
Therefore working their butts off to finance crap makes them happy.

Do you know who's going to be unhappy in this whole story? People who are not made happy by crap yet who are forced by circumstances to live surrounded by the likes who love crap. Or who THINK they love crap.

And then of course, there are the anti-depressants, the lonely food gorging in front of late-night TV, the shoppoholism sessions, the meaningless marriages that end in Ashley Madison, the scores of "great friends" with commercial smiles and the zero authentic friendships...the lonely crowd syndrome, the occasional "F**k you all!!!!" shootings, etc........and you start wondering "dude, does the "crap" work or not??? 'Cause you said it does!!".
George Carlin...... is that you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 01:49 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
People in the US are so car dependent that they don't understand it densely populated regions and regions with decent public transportation it is not a big deal. I live in the north east corridor and do fine without a car. I am within walking and train distance to everything I need.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 PM

943 posts, read 781,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Government. And more government. And less freedom and less choices.

Yes, we do comprehend what those high taxes buys them.
High taxes or low taxes has nothing to do with freedom. If anything given we incarcerated more people than any other country, the drug war, and have the NSA-- it is the USA that has less freedom.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:27 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
People in the US are so car dependent that they don't understand it densely populated regions and regions with decent public transportation it is not a big deal. I live in the north east corridor and do fine without a car. I am within walking and train distance to everything I need.
Right - I'm an American living in Europe. One of the best parts of being here is not having to own a car. I do, and most locals I know do too, but I don't have to drive. The grocery store is a five minute walk away. The sidewalk to get there is very wide with a designated bike lane so it actually only takes two minutes to ride there. It takes more effort and time to drive than ride. I'm about a ten minute walk from a train station. I can ride from there to Siberia via rail if I wanted to. What if I'm too fat and lazy to walk for ten minutes? No problem. I can just ride the bus to the station. It stops just outside of my house every 15 minutes. My location would be an urban dream in the U.S., but it's very average by European standards. The majority of Americans have no idea how great it is to have transportion options.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Right - I'm an American living in Europe. One of the best parts of being here is not having to own a car. I do, and most locals I know do too, but I don't have to drive. The grocery store is a five minute walk away. The sidewalk to get there is very wide with a designated bike lane so it actually only takes two minutes to ride there. It takes more effort and time to drive than ride. I'm about a ten minute walk from a train station. I can ride from there to Siberia via rail if I wanted to. What if I'm too fat and lazy to walk for ten minutes? No problem. I can just ride the bus to the station. It stops just outside of my house every 15 minutes. My location would be an urban dream in the U.S., but it's very average by European standards. The majority of Americans have no idea how great it is to have transportion options.
Omg yes!!! we must all bow down to you guys and your amazing lifestyle!

Lol sorry i just had to

But good for you, do what makes you happy...

Old 08-27-2015, 02:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Incredibly short sided of you basing your opinion of what others life should be like by yours. My job is 20 miles away from me. Then there is the fact I play guitar am I suppose to put 2 or 3 guitars and amp plus other equipment on a bicycle going to a gig or to record?
Its confusing, they are all happy with their forms of transportation, why do they have to disrespect people who choose to drive a car?

Discrimination against people who choose a certain form of transportation is probably one of the strangest/unusual forms of discrimination there is.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
No, too many white people.
Hence the low violent crime rate!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:40 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
I visited Denmark. Fun place, great people.

I would certainly live there over Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Congo, Venezuela, and most other nations. Even Canada. But it would not be my first choice in Europe.

None the less, Denmark does well with their system and way of life. Mostly because most Danes agree with it.

Does anyone think transposing the Danish template on the USA would work, let alone be accepted? Does anyone think the USA has anything resembling Denmark's culture of consensus?

Ne.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Omg yes!!! we must all bow down to you guys and your amazing lifestyle!

Lol sorry i just had to

But good for you, do what makes you happy...
Hold the applause. On the whole, I actually prefer America to Europe. There are pluses and minuses to life on both continents. What I've gathered in the past year of living here is that life in the U.S. and in Western Europe is actually a lite more similar than many Americans and Europeans think. You can tell we share a common culture. They really do transportation better though. I wish more parts of America would invest more in public transportation - it really does enhance quality of life.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its confusing, they are all happy with their forms of transportation, why do they have to disrespect people who choose to drive a car?

Discrimination against people who choose a certain form of transportation is probably one of the strangest/unusual forms of discrimination there is.
Agreed - that attitude is not common over here. That's an American thing. Here most people I know drive, take a bus, take the metro, walk and ride a bike. They use the transportation method that make the most sense for the trip. Hauling around a flat screen tv? Yeah, use the car. Driving to the city center? Take the train. Running out for bread? Just walk - supermarkets here are much smaller and are well placed in pretty much every neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies