Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm not concerned abut Denmark at all. I have heard people talk (mostly on this board) about how wonderful it is and decided to investigate the facts.

Actually, the cold weather would prevent me from living there regardless of the tax rates.
And this "Lutefisk". Yuk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:09 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good for you. I hope you like the government taking almost all of your money and controlling your life. If that makes you happy, then you should move there. Consider this;

• Danes making over $75,000 are hit with 57% payroll taxes.
• On top of that, their sales tax rate is 25% and is not deductible.
• Then their car sales tax rate is 180%, which makes cars out of reach except for the wealthy. That’s why they have one of the lowest car ownership rates in the world.
• And members of the government church pay an additional 1.5% income tax.

So, if you make $75,000 per year, the governments take $42,750 ($43,875 if you are a church member) before you get your money. Then every time you buy a $600 iPhone, you pay the government an additional $150. And when you buy that new Toyota Camry for $25,000, you have to pay the government an additional $45,000 in taxes which makes your new Camry cost $70,000.

And then, to make life even more miserable, Denmark has the highest ratio of household debt to net disposable income in the world at 315%. This compares to the USA at 114%.

We know household savings is bad in the USA at positive 5%, but it’s golden compared to Denmark at negative 6.28%.

Now let’s compare household net worth. The USA is the highest in the OECD at $142,500 as compare to Denmark at $58,116.

Move there? No thanks. Denmark would be one of the last places I would move.

Sources: Wiki and the OECD data base.

https://data.oecd.org/hha/household-...ndicator-chart
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Denmark
Funny you posted this. I saw an episode of Oprah where she was in Denmark talking to a local there and the propaganda was amazing. I use it as an example all the time. Oprah saw all the people riding bikes and not driving cars and she framed it as if they really care about the environment that's why they don't drive and the stupid local woman said "oh yeah, we take the environment very seriously." Then Oprah was taken inside her dinky little one room apartment and asked, "Where are your closets?" The local woman said "we don't have closets". Oprah responded with "Where do you keep all your stuff?" She replied, "We don't have stuff, we have what we need, food, drink and healthcare". The local woman went on to brag about how they can get UE for years upon years and how much they get for their taxes paid. Those people over there don't know what real life is like, they are drones to the system and don't know any better. Funny watching people pile in bags of groceries into their three wheeled bicycles. No thanks!!!!! One more thing, gas was over $10/gal

Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I lived few years in Western Europe and now 7 years in USA (both with legal documents). I can say that the only two things US should adopt from those countries is the medical systems and the mass transportation. The other things US wins big time.
Im pretty sure that 180% sales tax on a car helps that public transportation.

Incredible but i guess if you can walk across your Nation in a week ypu dont really need a car.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yet, the people I met, all seemed satisfied.

I do wonder, why you are so concerned about Denmark? Will you be going through the close to 200 countries in the world declaring how you would not like to live in said country?
They are satisfied because they don't know any better.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:16 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
They are satisfied because they don't know any better.
And you say that based on what information?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Read my earlier post. I watched an Oprah show where she was in Denmark. Trust me, they don't know any better. If they did, they wouldn't be there. I know I wouldn't. It's a laborious lifestyle riding bikes everywhere even in the real bad weather, piling grocery bags onto their bikes just to get them into their tiny one room apartments with no closets or storage space. It's a very meager existence compared to what we are used to here in the US.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:23 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Certainly not based on travel. Danes travel far more to foreign countries than Americans.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Certainly not based on travel. Danes travel far more to foreign countries than Americans.
Not really, they can't afford to. If you are talking about taking a train a few miles to the next country like us going from one state to another you might be right, but they aren't going to other continents.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:27 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
People dont comprehend exactly what those high taxes buy them.

Its called-not worrying about being homeless if your job lays you off, or dying because you can't afford medical care. And the ability to attend college easily.

I'd pay their rates for that. Heck right now my health insurance and healthcare costs not covered represent a large % of income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Not really, they can't afford to. If you are talking about taking a train a few miles to the next country like us going from one state to another you might be right, but they aren't going to other continents.
I will tell my friend from Denmark he needs to go home, that he cant really afford to visit here.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:29 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Yea but you can't get their medical systems of their transportation system without the other things.
I'm not sure. The medical system is 5-8% tax, and the mass transportation is not so costly and covers itself with the ticket prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies