Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it a good idea to require adults without disabilities or dependent children to do something to re
Yes 23 88.46%
No 2 7.69%
I really don't care or need more information 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Conservatives and Public Assistance in Maine

Duplicate topic that put shame to that chain email or whatever going around in the RWNJ blogosphere.

Georgia should have welfare reform similar to Maine
Welfare reform works in Maine
The State of Maine Are Forcing Welfare Receipents to Earn Money

And the same exact article and website linked to at least 4 times. Well, this counts as 5 now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 03:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Edit:

The poll question should be:

Is it a good idea to require adults without disabilities or dependent children to do something to receive SNAP assistance?
It's been Federal Law to require able-bodied adults to work ( orattend school or receive state qualified job training) for almost 20 years. A provision for state waivers based on unemployment was built into the legislation.

Fed temporarily suspended the work rule for 18 months during the Great Recession/aftermath.
When that was lifted in 2010, it was back to state by state waivers.

As for this poll, it's good to see that, thus far, all agree with the 20 year old legislation that limits SNAP benefits to 3 months in 3 years without meeting a work/training program.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
Excuse me if that has already been covered, because I didn't see this article until today.

This Is What Happened When Maine Forced Welfare Recipients To Work For Their Benefits*

Apparently, in Maine they made a change so that if your are an adult without a disability and with no dependent children, you must do some sort of work, training or volunteering to receive SNAP benefits.

The reported result was:

Edit:

Is it a good idea to require adults without disabilities or dependent children to do something to receive SNAP assistance?
I'd need more info, because from what I've seen (places I've lived), work is required even for those who do have young children- and I believe that's wrong.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Excuse me if that has already been covered, because I didn't see this article until today.

This Is What Happened When Maine Forced Welfare Recipients To Work For Their Benefits*

Apparently, in Maine they made a change so that if your are an adult without a disability and with no dependent children, you must do some sort of work, training or volunteering to receive SNAP benefits.

The reported result was:

Edit:

"Is it a good idea to require adults without disabilities or dependent children to do something to receive SNAP assistance? YES!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
It would probably be more efficient to just tighten the criteria in such a way that those who dropped out voluntarily would have been disqualified to begin with.

The work-for-welfare programs tend to be inefficient because now you have to hire bureaucrats to supervise all those workers, and you're unlikely to get much useful work out of them anyway.

Per OP's numbers, almost 80% dropped out voluntarily, so just change the criteria such that 80% of recipients no longer qualify.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As for this poll, it's good to see that, thus far, all agree with the 20 year old legislation that limits SNAP benefits to 3 months in 3 years without meeting a work/training program.
And it's shocking to see how few knew this was a federal requirement already and has been for decades. People's heads are filled with mush!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It would probably be more efficient to just tighten the criteria in such a way that those who dropped out voluntarily would have been disqualified to begin with.

The work-for-welfare programs tend to be inefficient because now you have to hire bureaucrats to supervise all those workers, and you're unlikely to get much useful work out of them anyway.

Per OP's numbers, almost 80% dropped out voluntarily, so just change the criteria such that 80% of recipients no longer qualify.
Hmmm. Or maybe the improving economy allowed a lot of people to go back to work.

Just a thought.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:41 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times
Maybe I don't understand how SNAP works. It's a federal program. How much is Maine saving by enforcing this as a state. There are certain to be some savings for certain.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
And it's shocking to see how few knew this was a federal requirement already and has been for decades. People's heads are filled with mush!
I think that a lot of right-wingers would rather die than say thanks to President Bill Clinton, who muscled enough congressional Ds to get this passed over the objections of many who voted for him.

Since they can't bring themselves to acknowledge this, they simply ignore it. This has the added bonus of allowing them to fulminate to their hearts' content.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Maybe I don't understand how SNAP works. It's a federal program. How much is Maine saving by enforcing this as a state. There are certain to be some savings for certain.
SNAP is a federal program which is administered by the states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supple...stance_Program

If you scroll about half-way down, you will see that the states do have some options in administering the program - but not many.

Here's the fed site explaining the program - Facts About SNAP | Food and Nutrition Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies