Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its like this after every hurricane i been through, and i been in over 20. people are living in fema trailers so long because they want something for free. they are too lazy to get out and search for reasonable housing. people going claimed they not no housing, BS, its been ten years everything been rebuilt plus some. I wish the government get out of the hurricane welfare, get them food and water for one month, then on your own, maybe a ww2 pup tent
FEMA sold these trailers long ago. No one's living in them as part of the hurricane recovery, as I understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 02:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Government employment is shrinkkng under Obama....
Don't fool yourself, it didn't start shrinking until after 2010 (for what reason could that be?) and they are relying on private contractors more.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:25 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Most trailers usually "cure" for a certain period of time.

During "curing" various chemicals outgas. After that curing period, the level of outgassing drops dramatically.

I bet these "bad" trailers were labeled so...due to outgassing-levels when they were new/nearly new. Probably nothing wrong/unsafe about those trailers now.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Fundamentally, we need some entity with national scope capable of preventing major impact of and responding to major disasters, be it natural disaster or an epidemic.
No,we don't. Central planning is almost always wasteful and less effective.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:45 PM

324 posts, read 270,877 times
Oh look there's 6 or 8 of those trailers here in this rv/mobile home park that's are rented out for 550 a month...... one does still have the RED "not for human habitation" on the window.....

Yet I have a 1994 camper that still has the original warning sticker in the bathroom warning of out gassing that happens for the first few months of use....... so it's not a new issue, it's been known for years.

The trailers just got pushed into use way too quick, they never were opened up to allow fresh air in. Why do you think the new rv dealers make sure the models are opened each day? Honestly it's because they do smell a bit chemical like, even after 6 months of being opened every day. We went looking at new rvs and I could taste that smell, it was a bit nasty and I knew that if/when we purchased new it would have to be early spring so I could air that sucker out every single day!

Old 08-29-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Don't fool yourself, it didn't start shrinking until after 2010 (for what reason could that be?) and they are relying on private contractors more.
Ok. And Obama took over in 2009. We went through a massive recession. Why do you think it's a point against Obama that a vast majority of his presidency has seen a shrinking federal government?

Most people would assume it's the opposite, given the rhetoric of extremists.

Conservatives are actually notorious for "shrinking" government and then just shifting the tax dollars over to private contractors (particularly military). DC area got flooded with them during the post-9/11 wars.

But I thought that was the point - get our public services in private hands so they operate more efficiently. I don't see why any conservative would oppose Obama on this point.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No,we don't. Central planning is almost always wasteful and less effective.
Tell that to the states, like Texas, that come begging for disaster relief funding.
How should a disease spreading across 30 states, or national defense, be handled?

When the economy collapses, there's only one entity structured to keep capital moving through so we don't lose our industrial base, our overall employment base, to a global market that will disperse our assets to other countries?

And how does Texas planning centrally for a major hurricane disaster differ fundamentally from a national entity doing the same, but managing coordination between all the states impacted by the hurricane?

Old 08-29-2015, 10:51 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Quote:
That's a radical position seemingly based more on emotion than fact. But how would a private entity, explicitly built to just take your money, do the job better?

And, keep in mind, when you make simple-minded attacks against government like this, you are attacking every soldier protecting our freedom, every wildlands firefighter protecting - and sometimes dying for - private property. You're attacking every astronaut and scientist pushing new frontiers of human discovery. Every inspector helping to ensure we can buy food without fear of disease.

Government certainly needs improvement, but come down off the ledge of radicalism. It's not helping anyone make rational decisions.

Oh come on....you sure in heck aren't trying to say that our food is safe today [or our meds] because of the FDA,when everyone knows that the exact opposite is true!

And don't talk to me about military personnel, because my dad was career Air Force, and my late husband and two brothers-in-law did fours years and got out. No I am not attacking them but I sure in heck AM attacking the SOB war-mongers who don't give two -hoots about sending young people to die for reasons that they never know the real truth about, and the lying recruits who feed them total BS to glorify enlistment, and then wonder why these kids snap when then learn the reality, of military life, and especially war! Most young people enlisting today are doing it for one reason, for a freaking paycheck since there are no jobs, and some actually believe the BS the recruiter spewed to them! Nothing more!

And NASA is about nothing more than SPYWARE waiting to be launched!

Only blind/deaf/dumb SHEEPLE support a corrupt government, or they are one of them!

Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A great deal of the infrastructure and housing in this country is built on waterways because of historical reasons. There is very simple solution to this. You make it a one shot deal, if the property is in a flood zone if it ever gets flooded it's no longer eligible for federal flood insurance and they would have to buy it on the open market. From there the owner can decide what they want to do; pay a higher premium, risk it with no insurance, sell for much lower since it's no longer eligible etc.
Congress created national flood insurance in 1968 because private insurers refused to insure the risks in flood prone areas. The cost of FEMA insurance has been subsidized by the federal government ever since.

Mortgaged property in flood plains must be insured. Those who own free and clear may be able to self insure their risks. Property subject to condo and community association covenants may be subject to maintaining flood insurance regardless of outright ownership of the property.

Flood plains have expanded over the years as has new construction in flood plains.

Most states cap insurer's payout of basement and non flood plain flooding damage.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:39 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Congress created national flood insurance in 1968 because private insurers refused to insure the risks in flood prone areas. The cost of FEMA insurance has been subsidized by the federal government ever since.

Mortgaged property in flood plains must be insured. Those who own free and clear may be able to self insure their risks. Property subject to condo and community association covenants may be subject to maintaining flood insurance regardless of outright ownership of the property.

Flood plains have expanded over the years as has new construction in flood plains.

Most states cap insurer's payout of basement and non flood plain flooding damage.
There should be the first clue to anyone who insists on building in such areas, that they are on their own.
as perusual, government marches in with its bureaucracy and our money and distorts reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies