Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 09:08 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,815,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post

If you are employed by the Government, you are required to comply with the statutes governing your "onsite" behavior, where you are a statutory person.

I've known a lot of statutory persons.

Why do you think they call them statues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQo11n4jLN4

Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM

7,573 posts, read 5,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"The State never intentionally confronts a man’s sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest."
Here is the problem, while everyone is attempting to put this as being either a case of denial of Ms. Davis' 1st Amendment rights or places this in the context of a government "employee" denying the rights of citizens. I find neither arguments to be valid. Ms Davis is not an "employee," she is the elected and autonomous head of the Rowan County Clerk's Office. As such, Ms. Davis is in effect the government of Rowan County, or at least one part of it.

County Clerk Kim Davis established, what is in effect, a religious based standard for the government of Rowan County to use when determining who can or can't be issued a marriage licenses, and by doing so placed the government of Rowan County in direct violation of the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment, a violation confirmed by the Federal District Court, the Federal Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court.

To emphasizes the point that his is not an issue of one person's personal freedom vs another's, Ms. Davis was offered the option of removing herself from the issuance of marriage licenses to same sex couples purely on religious grounds but Ms. Davis refused and went so are as to state before the Judge David L. Bunning that she would prohibit the issuance of marriage licenses by any other member of her office again demonstrating that this is an issue of a government entity violating the rights of its citizens solely on religious grounds in contradiction of the Courts and the Constitution.

While Kim Davis may be at the center of attention, the locus has to placed on the roll of a government agency using religious doctrine to determine the law of the land. This isn't about Kim Davis it is about the Rowan County Clerk's Office.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:58 AM

592 posts, read 413,034 times
James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

So speaking as a Christian, let's not get entangled in these matters. Let's keep ourselves unstained from the world.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:08 AM

19,672 posts, read 9,994,930 times
When sworn into office, on a Bible, Kim Davis swore to uphold the laws of Kentucky and the laws of the US. That doesn't give her the right to ignore any law she doesn't like when it changes. Laws change constantly.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,695,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

So speaking as a Christian, let's not get entangled in these matters. Let's keep ourselves unstained from the world.
Take care then. I assume you are done staining yourself on this worldly forum.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:24 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Christians don't follow the Old Testament. They believe they Jesus' sin washed away the need for it. While to the non believe it seems like cherry picking it's not really. They only take what is written in the New Testament as law.
They don't take the Ten Commandments as law?

Old 09-07-2015, 11:25 AM

46,824 posts, read 25,751,383 times
I've said it before: No one can act as persecuted as those who consider their unearned preferential status a law of nature. Christian Privilege is crumbling, and they don't much like it.

And Kim Davis isn't Rosa Parks. If anything, she's a bus driver refusing to start the engine until the blacks get to their assigned seating.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:26 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,005,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I've said it before: No one can act as persecuted as those who consider their unearned preferential status a law of nature. Christian Privilege is crumbling, and they don't much like it.

And Kim Davis isn't Rosa Parks. If anything, she's a bus driver refusing to start the engine until the blacks get to their assigned seating.
Excellent analogy. Sums up her actions quite well.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:26 AM

46,824 posts, read 25,751,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
They don't take the Ten Commandments as law?
Well, the Sermon on the Mountain didn't come in a handy numbered format.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,683,123 times
I guess she forgot (according to her religion) that a divorced person remarrying is living in constant sin, because divorce is considered a sin in her religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.