Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 05:31 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I honestly don't get why people don't get this. It is legal in Kentucky, thereby Kim Davis is infringing on the rights of the homosexuals and heterosexuals seeking marriage licenses.
I get your drift. Maybe they're making a States' Right type of argument? Maybe they object to having their right to infringe on the rights of others infringed upon? I honestly dunno either.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:05 AM

174 posts, read 124,386 times
She either does her job or she quits. I do feel slightly sorry for her in that I think she is missing a few screws and jail has worn her down already. Unfortunately, she will likely be encouraged by her supporters to stay in jail to prove their point. I do think that's taking advantage of mentally ill woman.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:12 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, more like you will do your job as an elected official.
She is a Democrat. Laws are to be interpreted according to them.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:16 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I have a very good education in the Bible, Christian theology, church history, etc. If this woman did not like the terms of her employment, and had religious/conscience problems with doing her job as demanded by the law, she should have resigned her job, not defy the law or expect that they should change the law to suit her.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:32 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
[b]

No they weren't. Terms of her job was to follow the law and fill out paperwork. She doesn't have to personally approve of every couple who applies. Doesn't have to like them. Doesn't have to think they are adorable.
The others clerks, despite their personal religious beliefs, are issuing marriage licenses to anyone that qualifies under the law. I "googled" for KY marriage license application and it asks for a few things but it does say for the couple "1st Party" and "2nd Party" and nothing concern male/female at all that I could see.

I would think as the supervisor that she could delegate others to issue the licenses but that is not enough for her. I'm guessing that most of us have seen documents from the County Clerk's Office and that person's name is on the documents and removing it would not be correct form. She is asking for too much at this point.

Sadly, this is not a woman that is thinking for herself. She is trying to make up for those past sins and people like that are just, well, no nice word for it. I was once in their midst and I know what they are like as in her not letting others issue the licenses and I bet she was telling them they would go to Hell for doing it and/or be fired.
Also, I am sure the minister, whose church reaps a nice benefit from their cut of the $80,000 is encouraging her to sit in jail while he enjoys his freedom.

For those that don't realize it, when these people accept Jesus Christ, then that wipes away their sins of the past so that relieves her of the sins being brought up in her own mind and that of "Christians" like my brother and my husband, not me.

Know that in saying this, I still believe that acts of homosexuality are sinful but also the church and state should remain separate. In addition, I believe that one is responsible for their sins and will be judged on them and that Jesus Christ was just a man and belief in him doesn't take away the sin.

In the office, I would assign the task to someone else that would not mind and if there were no one else, I would issue the license and if it bothered me resign. I would not run for re-election to a position that had a requirement that I found immoral though either.

Interesting was that I "googled" for Kim Davis and learned that she started going to church after promising that to her dying MIL. Ah, not the best reason in my mind but then, I have very little in common with her.

There needs to be some strict guidelines in place for religious accommodation. This could really haywire if it is not addressed. I asked my husband, who supports this woman, "If I get a job as a topless waitress and then become Christian and believe it is immoral, should I be allowed to wear a shirt on the job?" Well, I am 61 and they would probably welcome my putting on a shirt but............ And then I said, "What if on your job someone converts to a religion that says that they cannot work on Sunday, just absolutely cannot, and the employer is required to accommodate that. You know who will be working every Sunday to cover them? You!" Well, when it came down to "You", he said he would have to think about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
She either does her job or she quits. I do feel slightly sorry for her in that I think she is missing a few screws and jail has worn her down already. Unfortunately, she will likely be encouraged by her supporters to stay in jail to prove their point. I do think that's taking advantage of mentally ill woman.
Most of the women who get involved with these types of religions have low self-esteem. As I said above, the minister is probably there advising her while she sits in jail and he is free. I do not think she is mentally ill. I don't think people realize what kind of pressure would be on her from her fellow believers and again, low self-esteem.

I worked with people in a rather closed away setting that were like this. I was pure as the driven snow so all they did was constantly harp on the sins that they just knew I would fall into. "Oh, I was like you at one time." Ah, "No you weren't." They wanted to give me guidance on how to avoid the sinful lives they had lived. They were generally not highly educated and the women were oppressed. Not interested in a religion that oppresses women.

I believe in religious accommodation and believe that EEOC needs to be looking at getting some guidelines on situations like Kim Davis is in. WYSK: Workplace Religious Accommodation

The bottom line is that no same sex couple should be able to go in and demand that she specifically be required to issue their license, she should have someone issuing and if she doesn't want her name as County Clerk on the documents, she should resign.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Of course she can walk out any time she wants if she just complies with the legislative decree of the Supreme Court, which they had no constitutional power to issue, and as stated by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, this decree had "nothing to do" with the constitution.

She has not walked out, she is still in jail, of her own free will. She is telling the promoters of perversion to go ____ themselves. And that is the correct thing to do here.

There is no such thing as homosexual "marriage," regardless of any law that is passed anywhere saying otherwise. Likewise, if our nation or even the whole world passed a law insisting that the moon was made out of green cheese, that would not make it so either. Anyone who pretends otherwise is just playing make believe.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
I don't know why the few cases of same sex marriage could not have been handled by someone else.
Did she insist it was this way to make a point?
Is her job structured in such a way that others cannot do it?
If it cannot be done by someone else she should quit he job if her conscience dictates.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:55 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Now she wants to be taken off as signature for marriage licenses and allow her deputies to do it.

So she basically wants the terms of her job to change, but obviously she doesn't want to make any less taxpayer dollars

What's the matter Kim, is jail making you re-think "God's laws"???

Kim Davis asks Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear to free her - CNNPolitics.com
Seems that is a lot like what the EEOC calls "reasonable accommodation". Now, what do we do about a president that refuses to do his job and enforce immigration law.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
This whole notion that people want to believe that they should be afforded special consideration in performing their jobs due to religious freedom is BS. Religious freedom allows us to practice whatever religion we identify with without fear of persecution. It does NOT allow for individuals to disobey the law because of religious beliefs that are in conflict with their job duties. This woman has a choice, do her job or resign. No one is forcing her to sign those marriage certificates. As others have already stated, her signature is not an endorsement of marriage, it is a job duty, plain and simple. If that offends her religious beliefs, lucky for her the economy is improving and unemployment is low. The same goes for the flight attendant who refuses to serve alcohol. That is a large part of her job, if that offends her religious beliefs, find another job. Religious freedom must not infringe upon the right's of law abiding citizens who are paying for a service. The RIGHT is all about "hand's off" government until government does not support their narrow view of morality. You don't like the job, get a new one. Pretty simple.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Now the area is closing schools for the day because Huckabee is going to visit Davis. They want to alleviate traffic for the rally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies