Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Actually you did. The only 2 words President Obama's administration has nearly as much trouble saying as "Radical Islam" is "States Rights".

He and his administration is changing the name of the mountain to satisfy the native American people and the Democrats in power in Alaska. If Obama was supporting states rights he would bow out of this and leave it up to all the people of Alaska to vote on the change.

It just seems to me that it's a case of President Photo-Op once again interjecting into something that he has no business in.
I sincerely hope you didn't injure yourself reaching around to pull that explanation out of your kiester.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes … Yes … YES … !!!

President Barack Hussein O'Bama will go down in history as one of our GREAT Presidents ...
He easily will. Look at what he has accomplished with all the bigot surrounding him. Healthcare, Cuba, great foreign policy, Iraq and more. Great times for certain.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
He easily will. Look at what he has accomplished with all the bigot surrounding him. Healthcare, Cuba, great foreign policy, Iraq and more. Great times for certain.

Accomplishments?

Healthcare- Since when is it the government's place to force the American people to buy something? Not to mention, it isn't free considering those of us who are working are footing the bill.

Cuba- OK... he got that one right. I never understood why we didn't open up relations with Cuba much sooner. It was more like slapping Cuba's hand like a child for allowing the Soviets to have their missiles there. Castro is an a-hole, but so are other dictators in the world, and yet we have relations with them, so why not Cuba?

Great foreign policy- We're still in the Middle East, still bombing people there, further destabilizing that region with our meddling, and still have military bases in well over 100 countries around the world.

Iraq- Again, we're still meddling over there.

As for the changing the name of the mountain. Like I said, we've got bigger fish to fry. Not to mention the people of Alaska are fine with it.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Talking Hey Obamaphobes!

Relax...

Take a deep breath...

That mountain was known as Denali for thousands of years before some random prospector decided to call it McKinley.

For decades, Alaskans (it's in Alaska btw; a red state) have been calling it Denali. It's the centerpiece of Denali National Park.

The only reason the feds haven't joined in is because some diehards from Ohio (it's not in Ohio, btw) oppose it.

As usual, Obama is right on this. You can continue whining about it, of course.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Amazing how such a trivial issue of absolutely no real consequences to anyone can spark the minds of Obama haters. We have the Speaker of the House holding press conference and now The Donald is pledging to rename the mountain once again to McKinley. Oh it is the silly season.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
And isn't it already Denali National Park?

Why not have Mount McKinley as it is in the Park, the way the Kennedy Space Center is at Cape Canaveral?

It's like there is a move to expunge Republican names from things. See also taking Ike off the dollar coins and putting Susan B. Anthony or Sacajawea on them.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Amazing how such a trivial issue of absolutely no real consequences to anyone can spark the minds of Obama haters. We have the Speaker of the House holding press conference and now The Donald is pledging to rename the mountain once again to McKinley. Oh it is the silly season.
Funny, isn't it, how quickly states rights go right out the window if it provides an opportunity to disparage the president.

Alaskans have wanted this for years.
If it means so much to the good people of Ohio, how about they rename Ohio State or something for Pres. McKinley.

Or would that make too much sense?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If it means so much to the good people of Ohio, how about they rename Ohio State or something for Pres. McKinley.
I would bet a large sum of money that before this issue came up most Ohioans didn't know McKinley was even from Ohio.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
I sure do dislike Obama. A lot.

I have a relative and a few friends who live in Alaska. This was a huge deal to them, one even had a "christening" party for it. The people of Alaska, both native and other, overwhelmingly wanted it renamed Denali, it's original name. A very few people of Ohio, who cared and had a powerful ear or two, wanted it to stay McKinley because he was a famous Ohioan. Whenever the Alaskan elected officials presented a bill or any other type of mechanism to change it, the far more powerful Ohio elected officials stopped it cold. Most of us were blissfully unaware. Basically a more powerful state was bullying a smaller state about something that had no effect on them but mattered a great deal to the people of the smaller state and it was simply wrong.

This is one of those rare times when I agree with something Obama did.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Funny, isn't it, how quickly states rights go right out the window if it provides an opportunity to disparage the president.

Or would that make too much sense?

I'm no Obama fan, but as someone who does feel that the states should have more rights, this Ohioan absolutely agrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies