Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,514,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Who gives a crapola what happened 4,000 years ago in Sodom and Gomorrah?
Spartacus713 certainly thinks it's important.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,514,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
^
^
^
yes, please see above.
Then why do you care so much about homosexuals getting married to their same sex? Are you dearly afraid the practice will spread to heterosexuals, like a fad?

Old 09-01-2015, 04:11 AM

38,611 posts, read 26,247,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marriage case

She's refused to issue marriage licenses for 2 MONTHS now, to all couples because you know, her religion apparently gives her the right to discriminate so basically, she's being paid by taxpayers for NOT doing her job.

You lost today, you little bigot.

I wish they would have fired her months ago.

Better question is why do we allow the Supreme Court to legislate when the Constitution grants no such power to the Court?

Old 09-01-2015, 04:17 AM

33,801 posts, read 16,806,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Better question is why do we allow the Supreme Court to legislate when the Constitution grants no such power to the Court?
They didn't. They ruled. As they should do.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,116,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
There is a higher law than the Supreme Court. Marriage is between a man and a woman. In fact, these people do not have the authority to redefine marriage. But if homosexuals are insistent on trying to imitate the lives and practices of "breeders" as they call them, that form of make-believe is now encouraged by the US government.

The folly of man apparently has no bounds. There is no such thing as marriage between homosexuals. And if the Supreme Court were to rule unanimously that the moon was made of green cheese, that would not make that so, either.

The arrogance of those people even surpasses that of Barack Obama, hard as that may have been to imagine before the Supreme Court's recent decision on this issue. And as far as I am aware, our current Supreme Court and Barack Obama are the most arrogant humans in recorded history. Perhaps I am overlooking some act of human arrogance that surpasses the acts of these people. If someone can think of such an arrogant act by a human being in the past, please do share.

Arrogance? Arrogance? You have the audacity to talk about arrogance? Your religion does not own marriage. To think you have the right to deny others a right based on what you believe an unproven non-communicative deity wants is the height of arrogance.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:00 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,859,271 times
Angry Court Aproved of a downward Life Style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marriage case

She's refused to issue marriage licenses for 2 MONTHS now, to all couples because you know, her religion apparently gives her the right to discriminate so basically, she's being paid by taxpayers for NOT doing her job.

You lost today, you little bigot.

I wish they would have fired her months ago.
She is standing her Christian Ground and God Bless her for taking a stand with a such a immoral life style. don't worry she is protected from evil doers and folks like you who think everyone is a "Bigot" because the life style is a sin on all levels.

The freedoms and choices that God has given us comes with repsoinbility!

Matter off fact they should promote her to supervisors!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
She is standing her Christian Ground and God Bless her for taking a stand with a such a immoral life style. don't worry she is protected from evil doers and folks like you who think everyone is a "Bigot" because the life style is a sin on all levels.

The freedoms and choices that God has given us comes with repsoinbility!

Matter off fact they should promote her to supervisors!
We don't live in a theocracy. Your/her religion has no sway over the law. Would you support her if she was Muslim and was following Sharia law?

Old 09-01-2015, 05:48 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,327,258 times
Why do we let people ignore the rules and, among other things, cover their faces with masks on their official government ID, when wearing a mask is part of their superstition? For better or worse, federal law bans discrimination based on religion and calls for "reasonable accommodation". I disagree with it, but this is no stupider than many other aspects of EEOC law.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:11 AM

25,674 posts, read 21,838,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I had no idea that employee's hired by Government offices are actually voted for?? My..So voting in employee's of KY Government positions have to have a vote by taxpayers??? yikes...

Pardon me but always thought like Police Chief/Sherrif's/Judges/Councillors/Governors/and any other Political representative was on the ballot..Since when does any clerk required 50+1% of votes??

Employee's are hired? NO? Employee's especially in Government positions required to take oath of office?? No? SoIf any employee breaks that oath of office that she agreed to..and refuses to do..Guess..that end's that contract one signs means must be prosecuted for breech of contract?? No?? Ohhh maybe Christian's are different..???
Really, I do wonder what is taught in school anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Why does her religious belief enter into her ability to issue legal documents? Can she then turn around and deny Hindus marriage licences? Where do her religious liberties end?
That is the question that has to be answered, "Where do my rights end and yours begin?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What's your point other than a somewhat disjointed ramble?

She's not an "employee" in the sense you're using the term. The Rowan County Clerk is an elected official (as are many County Clerks across the US). Some have different names for the office.

So to answer what I think your point was, she's an elected official who is voted for, or against, every (I would think) four years.

I've never known of a Police Chief being an elected position but I suppose that may be true somewhere. Superintendent of Schools was an elected position in many states for awhile.
You are correct. I thought most people knew this, at least those that vote. Guess not. It amazes me how many people don't understand our government and how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So court clerks should have the freedom to consult their religious principles in judging whether a couple is fit for marriage? So if a court clerk judges a black and white couple as unfit for marriage, then that couple can go try their luck in the next county.
We are not talking black and white couple but homosexual couple. Marriage had been defined for hundreds of years as between one man and one woman so 2 of the same is not like a black and white couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The County Attorney would, in this case the County Attorney cited a conlict of interest and forwarded the complain the Kentucky's Attorney General who will then decide whether or not to appoint a special procesutor to get involved.

At this point my guess is they were waiting for her appeals to be ruled on by the Court, which is was today, and based off what she does tomorrow will determine any future actions.
We tried to get a elected County Treasurer out of office for not complying with the statutes. The County attorney wouldn't become involved and the Attorney General's Office said it was up to the people to remove her because they elected her. It is a very cumbersome task to get all the signatures and there were costs that were more than we were interested in taking on. She was kicked to the curb when the next election came up. I found it unbelievable that it would be so difficult to remove someone that was not doing their job and/or abiding by the rules.

I do think an accommodation should be made when possible. It is done in other circumstances and this should have been no different: WYSK: Workplace Religious Accommodation and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscientious_objector

Also, anyone heard of "civil disobedience"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_...ience_(Thoreau)

Of course, that would put a kink in the agenda: The homosexual propaganda campaign in America's media

Spartacus713: I agree with everything you say but with separation of church and state, gay marriage has moved forward. Note that I say "gay" marriage because it is not traditional marriage. I don't care if they gay marry but I do care that they trample on the religious rights of others. There is no reason that some sort of accommodations should not be made.

While I have sympathies for all people who cannot get out of the web of sin that they have become trapped in, I cannot give up my beliefs so that they can feel better about themselves. Self-loathing was one of the criteria for homosexuality being classified as a mental illness and being loud and obnoxious is what got it removed from being a mental illness and now that is how they try to get everything done. http://www.behaviorismandmentalhealt...hat-went-away/

The clerk was within her right to engage in civil disobedience. She is not the only one and I am guessing that it is happening all over the country but they just decided to exploit this one particular clerk. We all know how the LGBT likes to single one out from the herd and attack. Here it is: Complete catalogue of ‘same-sex marriage’ violations of faith As we know, death threats are not uncommon coming out of the hatred that the LGBT has for the Christian community. I do wonder just how much harassment this clerk, others in her office and their families may have suffered.

Don't they teach American Government and American History anymore in high school? From the posts I read here at C-D, it doesn't seem like it as there is so much ignorance about such subjects. I'm thinking a few people need to switch the channel from "reality show" to "History Channel".

Old 09-01-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Really, I do wonder what is taught in school anymore.
I wonder that as well.

Quote:
is the question that has to be answered, "Where do my rights end and yours begin?"
It has been. By several courts at this point. How much more do you need.

Quote:
are not talking black and white couple both homosexual couple. Marriage had been defined for hundreds of years as between one man and one woman so 2 of the same is not like a black and white couple.
We've changed the definitions of things many, many times. Why should marriage be any different.

Quote:
I do think an accommodation should be made when possible. It is done in other circumstances and this should have been no different: WYSK: Workplace Religious Accommodation and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscientious_objector
Like just allowing someone else in the office prepare marriage licences? Something she could have done before starting this whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.