Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 PM

218 posts, read 213,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazk14 View Post
growing up everyone respected the police. Nowadays no one respects the police, but worst of all our youth doesn't. This is only going to get worse and worse. Yes there are some crooked cops and they deserve to be punished, but having our population have no respect for authority is honestly repulsive.
How does one have respect for authority, when the authority can't be trusted? What is repulsive is thinking cops should be able to get by with this. That its okay they ruin the trust in even the greatest cops. It's not fair. It doesn't have anything to do with a cop doing his/her job, in the manner that respects people's rights, and ensure their safety.? PROTECT AND SERVE. That's the motto, is it not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meanwhile, in the real world, there's numbers and stuff to deal with, instead of raw emotion.

I don't know which timeframe you recall so fondly, but let's say during the Reagan years - you like Reagan, right? - the figures for officers killed were as follows:

1981 203
1982 195
1983 193
1984 183
1985 176
1986 179
1987 183
1988 195
1989 196

While under President Obama, the figures are:

2009 125
2010 161
2011 171
2012 126
2013 107
2014 117

So in other words, Obama's worst year is still better than Blessed St. Reagan's best year.

National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Officer Deaths by Year
Gotta love facts

Old 09-13-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Your post makes no sense. The stimulus was One Trillion dollars. That's a lot of cash that went to fill holes in local government budgets with very little infrastructure work. Remember that Obama found out that shovel ready was not so shovel ready? And you want to know why all that money was pissed away with nothing to show for it when 90 years ago we could have built ten Golden Gate Bridges for that money? It's because government is inefficient now. We have a huge bureaucracy that seems to be more concerned with increasing budgets, big wasteful conferences with no concern of costs (no need to with unlimited supply of taxpayer money and incentive to over spend so next year's budget is increased). Oh, and don't forget those employee bonuses over getting veterans the healthcare they need. The government "shutdown" didn't effect anything but people's ability to see memorials and monuments.

And when so many people were losing their jobs, perhaps employer-based insurance was not the way to go. But Obama needed something for his legacy even though it's still very unpopular.
I just looked up what was spent and which agency's received the funds. I'm not quite sure why you think it simply disappeared into thin air. Look it up. I know we have loads of new road and bridgework happening in California. How much infrastructure has been approved around your town? check out what your area is doing, if you weren't one of the dumber states to "refuse" the money, oh well. You want to be on your hi horse, so be it. Government is inefficient. What's new. Why not fix the inefficiencies? The government shut down for any length of time, other than republican grandstanding is tragic for many. Employer based insurance was THE BIG PROMISE, back when Reagan was union busting! They promised healthcare and retirements if everyone would break the unions and "trust" the new trickle down programs. BIG MISTAKE. UUUUUGE as your buddy, Trump, would say.

Last edited by 60sagain; 09-13-2015 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Auto correct errors

Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 332 times
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]For violent crime to decline in our country we need tosupport our police officers as they can be the perfect role models for futuregenerations. By hiring a few extra officers a city will see a big difference interms of quality policing. The way I see it, police work is not justapprehending criminals. It is preventing crimes in the first place by beingrole models to our kids, supporting people in crisis, and deterring crimebefore it happens. Politicians need to comprehend that crime control is muchmore than a simple number's game. By the way, I do not blame anyone except us, the private citizen for the current crime control crisis. This not a Black, White or Hispanic issue, but rather a lack of morals, values and structure issue.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Regards[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Carlos Lorie [/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,961,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post
The hatred for police officer started a while back. This is nothing compared to what we saw in the early 90's when rappers were singing about killing cops. Ice-T was famous for that, now he plays a cop in law and order.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_Killer_(song)

Reality is that is a risky profession. They are no heroes, they are getting paid good salaries for taking those risks. It's sad when cops get killed on the job. It is also sad when some cops abuse their power and kill citizens.
I know several police officers who were all for Obama just a few short years ago..

Now they bad mouth him constantly.

May or may not be justified, but the perception sometimes is worse than reality.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, in the real world, there's numbers and stuff to deal with, instead of raw emotion.
Real numbers has nothing to do with feelings..

To cite an example, you "feel" like ACA is a success, despite the "real numbers" showing its a complete failure.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
No, I'm proving that fewer pirates leads to more global warming. I mean, if you're going to make up correlations out of thin air, at least be creative.
Just a minute ago you cited "real numbers", so if someone was to show a graph of police officers being killed in relationship to the number of guns on the street, it would show a skyrocketing number of guns, while police officer deaths have fallen at the same time.

That is YOUR statistic.. now all of a sudden you dont like it..

waaaaaa

Old 09-14-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You are trying to relay facts to those who are entrenched in the fantasies which is Faux Snooze. Everything that you have said is true regarding the police getting away with murdering people particularly people of color. I remember when Johnny Gamage was killed in Pittsburgh some years ago by the police and they were let off of the hook and one was even promoted. To those who really do not believe that the police can do no wrong and are eager to blame Obama for the outgoing racial issues in this country are apparently myopic in their views of race relations in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
WHAT makes YOU THINK? Or do you - my guess is not. You do know this is 2015 right? What makes you think you know the details of my life / how I've been treated. I go by FACTS and EVIDENCE happening TODAY -- I don't live in the past. Of course reality isn't important to some so they go traipsing thru the past whining and boo hoo ing all the way.

Grow up.
Actually I already grew up, I'm 70! I was assuming by your racism that you are white, as am I. so I know that should you have had any interaction with the police of any type that you would have first been treated respectfully, unless you became a pain in their butt. If you had you would have been detained or taken into custody and treated as though you were a respected and respectable human being. As I was. Although my interactions were nothing more than a couple speeding tickets. Also, unaware of your own country's very bad history on the racism issue, and assuming that we should simply erase that history, isn't being American. We managed to pretty much, wipe out the horrific history we had with what we did to the native Americans, now we should just forget the black issue, instead of fixing it? Doesn't seem likely, so let's work on fixing the racism.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Worry not CD posters. Were looking at a banner year of police being killed ... but the real story is more sinister...

Its about creating chaos... something which both Obama and scumbags have in common.
No racism, no chaos. Obama is simply running the world, he doesn't have time for this pettiness, but he does care about civil rights and that is a good thing regardless of color.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,229,216 times
Blaming this President for "hatred" of the police is, at best, a shortcut to thinking. Mostly, its just pinheaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies