Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Wow. Both the manager and the clerk have to go.
The manager allegedly told the officer that the clerk "has the right to refuse to serve" you.
She used the Kentucky County Clerk defense.

Arby's apologizes after employee refuses to serve police officer

The drive-thru clerk, who was identified as Kenneth Davenport, 19, sounded "short" with the officer when he or she was ordering, the police report says. Police would not divulge the name of the complaining officer.

When the officer drove to the pickup window, the store manager, Angel Mirabel, told the officer that the clerk "doesn't want to serve you because you are a police officer." Mirabel had to order Davenport to process the officer's credit card.

The officer expressed displeasure and concern about the safety of the food to the manager. Mirabel also allegedly told the officer that the clerk "has the right to refuse to serve" you.

The officer felt "uncertain" about the safety of the food and was given a refund.
The 22 year old manager informed the officer that the 19 year old "doesn't want to serve you because...."?

Manager could have taken a different approach and immediately diffused the situation.

That's a lot to expect out of a young, relatively inexperienced and low wage store manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I am upset that someone would treat a law enforcement officer in this way. I for one will not patronize this place without a big, huge, really big public apology and termination of employment of that individual!
Florida police officer DENIED service at Arby’s because he was a POLICE OFFICER » The Right Scoop -
Being upset is a choice.

I save my emotional energy for stuff that really matters.

BTW, I am very respectful of law enforcement.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:05 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The woman is an elected official who was elected to carry out the laws of the land.
Not true. She is a LOCAL not a FEDERAL elected official. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure her oath of office did not include the words ... SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

Quote:
This is not Civil Disobedience by definition. At most, it would be considered a constitutional impasse (and that's a stretch) except that the Supreme Court has decided the matter.
Somehow your argument was used in the 50's and 60's ... and as we all know ... IT DIDN'T WORK.

Quote:
Case closed.
Not so fast ...

To quote Harry Carry ... "It ain't over til it's over." There are still 3 other county clerks.

Quote:
If she wants to disagree, then fine, resign the job and march outside with sign.
No ... don't quit.

Quote:
Like the Blacks, which you brought up. who burned up and looted a city, all they did is to make things worse for themselves.
For a minute I thought you were trying to make a rational defense. This statement proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you know nothing of the Civil Rights movement of the past. You know nothing of MLK ... who would NEVER, EVER have allowed the crap you talked about. You need to get a history book.

El Nox

Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I don't believe the workers were fired (just disciplined), but I'm OK with that. While outrageous and disgraceful, their actions were/are not so egregious as to warrant termination in my book. Now, if after retraining and education they pull that stunt again (I'm a big believer in second chances where appropriate), then fire their butts!

Old 09-03-2015, 07:26 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This really is a shame as police officers should be thanked incessantly for their heroic service which mostly involves driving around like sharks seeking prey in order to fine, tax, cage, stun, beat shoot, kill...
I really look forward to the day you need law enforcement and you don't get them.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 PM

399 posts, read 547,862 times
OMG they didn't even fire the clerk or the manager! F Arby's! Boycott! Not like I eat there more than once in 5 years but will change to NEVER now. I'm so angry.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 PM

399 posts, read 547,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't believe the workers were fired (just disciplined), but I'm OK with that. While outrageous and disgraceful, their actions were/are not so egregious as to warrant termination in my book. Now, if after retraining and education they pull that stunt again (I'm a big believer in second chances where appropriate), then fire their butts!
You must be joking. Not firing immediately them reflects the attitude of that business towards the police. I will not support any business with such attitude towards police. Would Arby's send these aholes to sensitivity training if customer was black or gay? Hell no! Fired on the spot.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
The Broward and Dade County Police Benevolence Association said an apology was not enough and called on supporters to boycott Arby's until the company fires the employees.

But shoot and kill an unarmed man and then lie about it you should be able to keep your job.

Fired Miami Cop Reinstated After Shooting Unarmed Man - The Root

Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
You must be joking. Not firing immediately them reflects the attitude of that business towards the police. I will not support any business with such attitude towards police. Would Arby's send these aholes to sensitivity training if customer was black or gay? Hell no! Fired on the spot.
I'm not joking. We just happen to disagree.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I can't believe anyone would want to eat at Arby's. Seems more like a punishment.

As for the cop I really don't care if he gets refused service. He should be glad he's openly being told they don't want him there instead of getting a smile from them while in the back they are spitting or doing who knows what to his sandwich.
The cop is female.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies