Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

"Black History Month" never made much sense to me anyway....

Don't blacks find that it marginalizes the accomplishments of black people, by designating the celebration of those accomplishments in to one month rather than year round? Wouldn't blacks prefer black history to be recognized as just "history"

And as far as racial pride in general, that doesn't make much sense to me either. I don't, and never have, felt "pride" in being white. I'm proud to be an American, but I'm not proud to be white. I'm not ashamed of it either. I'm neutral on the issue. In fact, the concept of "racial pride" never really even occurred to me. I view the progress and advancement of humanity to be racially insignificant. Members of all races and nationalities have contributed. It's "human pride" for me. People, who happen to be black, have contributed positively to humanity, just as people who happen to be white, have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Don't blacks find that it marginalizes the accomplishments of black people, by designating the celebration of those accomplishments in to one month rather than year round? Wouldn't blacks prefer black history to be recognized as just "history"

And as far as racial pride in general, that doesn't make much sense to me either. I don't, and never have, felt "pride" in being white. I'm proud to be an American, but I'm not proud to be white. I'm not ashamed of it either. I'm neutral on the issue. In fact, the concept of "racial pride" never really even occurred to me. I view the progress and advancement of humanity to be racially insignificant. Members of all races and nationalities have contributed. It's "human pride" for me. People, who happen to be black, have contributed positively to humanity, just as people who happen to be white, have.
You sure in the hell like to defend white people though...that is what I do not get. Cool....you are a great person. You are not racist. You never owned a slave. You never lynched a Negro...and all that Jazz. Yet....many whites have done those things and many whites today are racist and the cumulative impact continues to plague the black community. Yet.....you keep defending the honor of "whiteness" by turning this dysfunction in the black community into a SELF INFLICTED wound.....either to protect the image of reputation of whites and or to promote a doctrine and belief in black inferiority.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:29 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:40 AM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
There's nothing wrong with preferring certain races, cultures or ethnicities or religions or attitudes over another. Just as long as you don't feel one is inherently superior to another and you don't come into conflict with others trying to put them down while trying to build yourself up.
Maybe that's why liberals and now progressives keep alienating people. They should just live and let live.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.
Race is a biological reality.

See also cystic fibrosis, sickle-cell anemia, kawasaki disease, type 2 diabetes in Amerindians etc.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:25 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You should totally tweet that out.

Or put it on a t-shirt.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Race is a biological reality.

See also cystic fibrosis, sickle-cell anemia, kawasaki disease, type 2 diabetes in Amerindians etc.
No it isn't. Or if you can prove that, please do so. But you can't, because it isn't.

There is no biologicial basis for the idea of different "races". It is entirely a social construct.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
The Sneetches is one of my daughter's favorite books!!

On "racial pride" I do not think that it exist solely based upon one's physical features. IMO it is more of a cultural pride.

I am a "proud" black American due to the fact that I am inspired by and am thankful for the struggles and perserverance of my ancestors and kin in this land where so long they were not even considered to be people. I am proud that being black in America means I come from people of great strength and character.

I think most people who are "proud" of their identity feel the same way - it is not because they have a particular skin color, but it is because of the joy and/or awe of culutral aspects of their ancestors or countrymen.

As stated above I am a proud black AMERICAN. I am just as proud to be an American as I am of being a black American. I would not be the same type of "proud" if my ancestors were not Americans.

So do those who have an issue with "racial pride" also have an issue with national pride?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Black history month is a time of reflection on the history of peoples of the African diaspora today. It goes beyond black Americans currently and was created initially as "Negro History Week" due to the history of people of African descent in America and abroad being ignored.

Today that history is "history" but BHM is a tradition and is one that is a celebratory time for reflecting upon that history.

As a black person and amateur history buff particularly of black history (365 days a year), I would't "prefer" it to just be known as "history." Too many times when there aren't specifics in relations to historical topics, many persons and especially cultures of people are ignored or forgotten.

Contrary to what many of you may know, there are all sorts of sub-histories that are studied, even within "black history" (i.e. various countries/tribes of Africa, Colonial history of the African Diaspora, West Indian/Caribbean History, Afro-Latino history, etc.) There are the various histories of Europe and each of its ethnic groups, some of which are "recognized" as months on our calendar.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The Sneetches is one of my daughter's favorite books!!

On "racial pride" I do not think that it exist solely based upon one's physical features. IMO it is more of a cultural pride.

I am a "proud" black American due to the fact that I am inspired by and am thankful for the struggles and perserverance of my ancestors and kin in this land where so long they were not even considered to be people. I am proud that being black in America means I come from people of great strength and character.

I think most people who are "proud" of their identity feel the same way - it is not because they have a particular skin color, but it is because of the joy and/or awe of culutral aspects of their ancestors or countrymen.

As stated above I am a proud black AMERICAN. I am just as proud to be an American as I am of being a black American. I would not be the same type of "proud" if my ancestors were not Americans.
Good post. Having pride in your ancestors or your cultural heritage is cool. Like the Germans do with Oktoberfest and that sort of thing.

But the expectation that people should be treated differently based on their "race" is a purely racist idea, and the people that support and promote this idea are very certainly racists. And that applies regardless of what your skin color is.

In fact, there are no different races. But there are different cultures, different languages, different religions.

In fact, of all the differences that we have between us, the physiological variations in our skin pigmentation are truly at the top of the list of the most irrelevant, functionally speaking.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 09-03-2015 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies