Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 05:08 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The issue is we have a clear definition of what height is, but not one for intelligence.

It is something of a joke among African Americans that "white folks don't have any common sense!" Is common sense intelligence?

Ever notice that most Darwin Award winners are not black? Or how when anything absurd happens (a terrorist attack, a shooting, etc) black people are the first to RUN while white people are more likely to say "let's check this out" and end up killed?

I was at a restaurant once and a fire broke under the streets as some wires got fried. Black smoke started billowing out of an electrical power hatch and the whole place turned black as pitch. As I ran towards the kitchen and what I assumed was a back door, I heard several white customers asking "ah...should we leave"? I ran through the restaurant's kitchen, through their back door, past astonished looking staff and ended up safely in the alley. Well, I was there, as was a black family who followed, seeing I had the right idea, and seconds later a black waiter was next to me. I was in my car when the white customers finally started to leave.

It may sound unscientific, and it is, but that's because there is no real way to measure "survival intelligence." If there was, I think we would see people of African descent would be on top.
So, there was a fire and you and the other Black people ran and the White people stayed because they were inquisitive and wanted to find out what was going on. And you think that this demonstrates higher intelligence on the part of the Black people? Your story seems to fit the stereotype that Black people are easily scared and quick to flee in the face of danger.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:19 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

Can someone explain why black kids from presumably very educated parents who make a combined income of $140K to $200K (Those are engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc. category) score less on the SAT compared to white kids from poor family making less than $20K?
It's their K-12 public education.

U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

That in and of itself is bad enough, but pay very careful attention to the much lower basic proficiency percentages for Black students.

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

Are Black students really innately that incapabale? I don't believe so.

Time to end the Democrats' stranglehold on education, and give students vouchers. Let each student go to the best school they can get into and are willing to attend, exactly like our college/university system works, even at the state (public) level. Our college/university system is the best in the world, but our K-12 is abysmal because students are trapped. They don't get to choose based on their ability.

Oh, and the end result of the SAT stats posted in the OP?

Blacks are far more likely to attend low-quality colleges, due to their lower prior academic proficiency levels:
Quote:
"Black Americans have a distinctly worse experience than other racial groups in terms of college quality. This is not to say the problem is solely with the college system: the gaps reflect the accumulated disadvantages of the prior eighteen years. But it serves as a stark reminder of the depth of the challenge."
Black Students at Top Colleges: Exceptions, Not the Rule

So when Blacks complain about discrimination in the job market, it's not because of their race, it's because of their inadequate educational background. That has to stop, but Democrats just won't let go of their stranglehold control over keeping Blacks Dumber than everyone else.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:23 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, because the whole country is a mess thanks to military rule and civil war, all the result of a "country" that was cobbled together by the British.

Quote:
But this isn't the reason Nigerians in America are highly educated. It's Nigerian culture.
No, if you bothered to read, you would see it is Nigerians students in America's colleges, not just those who came with degrees. And those same visas apply to any other ethnic group. So why is it Nigerians and not Russians who are the most educated? Or even Brazilians or Dominican's for that matter?

It has to do with the Igbo culture (it is mostly Igbos who are in school, and a few Yoruba) The reason blacks score so low on tests is the exact same reason rural white "redneck" kids score low on tests: they have the same culture, with slight differences. All inner-city thug culture is is redneck culture, adjusted for urban life.

Black Rednecks and White Liberals

In short, black people in America should stop behaving like the Scottish lowlanders, whose "redneck" culture they inherited.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:23 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Yes, those are all good points. My example would work better if I specified that all four 115 IQ parents come from families that are exactly average for their groups in terms of intelligence. They are the children of parents with average IQs (white 100, black 85) and the averages of all their ancestors going back several generations are also these values. If so, using Stephen Hsu's math, we should get expected mean IQs for the white kids of about 109 and the black kids about 103.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I see the view expressed often, and it's almost always misunderstood.

As I already stated, regression to the mean is a statistical phenomenon and in the case of humans it's not something that happens all that fast. Intelligent people tend to marry within their same social class, so they have an average IQ that is already above the mean of the general population. Regression within a single generation occurs when the parents are extreme outliers from their ancestors. The closer they are to the mean IQ from which they originate, the less likely there will be regression for their children. Steve Hsu even points this out in the post that you linked to. His example is poor, since he uses two hypothetical parents who are 4 standard deviations above the mean. That's misleading, because even if two adults are 4 STDs above the mean of the population, it is unlikely that they are 4 standard deviations above their own parents.

Here's a good article that discusses regression to the mean and demonstrates that high ranking families have shown continued success across centuries, which is a product of genetic inheritance:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...ncestors/?_r=0

That is the reason that the Indian Brahmin caste has a high average IQ and doesn't regress to the Indian mean of 82. They have a closed gene pool within the larger Indian society. Although not as rigid, most societies also have class systems which helps maintain inbreeding populations. Smarter people are more selective about who they have children with, which keeps their IQs higher than average. They don't regress to the mean of the general population. That seems to be the source of most of the confusion that I see when others talk about heredity and regression to the mean. When talking about race, we are talking about a very broad group made up of disparate peoples, where there may be limited gene flow between them.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

Not quite accurate. After all, there is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

And standardized tests have never been very accurate ways of measuring intelligence:

https://www.boundless.com/psychology...ing-241-12776/

An idiot with a strict Chinese mother and father would study, and study...and study some more for the SAT on pain of death, while a bright black kid may get yelled at by his mother once about studying. The results would be the Chinese student does better, but generally isn't as intelligent, as the black kid who just didn't try because his culture was not one of pushing children to succeed.

In other words, black folks need to put down the Tyler Perry and pick up some Confucius.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Acting on one`s initial impression doesn`t indicate intellegence or even common sense if it isn`t followed quickly by a more reasoned evaluation of the first impression (should we leave Africa in the white man`s boat?).

Being able to make a conclusion in an instant as opposed to waiting for more information, and seeing the entirety of the situation, is a mark of a certain kind of intelligence. Call it "street smarts" if you will. The only tests for this "situational intelligence" I can think of are simulations. Answering a question slowly on a piece of paper is not the same as being presented to a situation and having seconds to make a decision. When one realizes waiting for a "second impression" may result in meeting Nietzsche himself in the hereafter, the obvious conclusion is to act and not wait for said second impression. All the brains for the SATs in the world are not going to be of any assistance if someone starts firing in the classroom, and one doesn't know to duck for cover immediately.

Quote:
As for measuring "survival intellegence", I would suggest using survival rates as the criteria for measuring survival intellegence.
That would require major studies with controls and the like.

Or, one need only watch a horror movie to get the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRQPEUzpJo

Old 09-06-2015, 05:51 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:

It has to do with the Igbo culture (it is mostly Igbos who are in school, and a few Yoruba) The reason blacks score so low on tests is the exact same reason rural white "redneck" kids score low on tests: they have the same culture, with slight differences. All inner-city thug culture is is redneck culture, adjusted for urban life.
Yes, the successful Nigerians are overwhelming from the Igbo tribe. This tribe is not very well liked in Nigeria since they control most of the commerce and dominate all the business sectors. They've also been known for centuries to be successful merchants.

Quote:
“Nigerians of all other ethnic groups will probably achieve consensus on no other matter than their common resentment of the Igbo”, a phenomenon that Chinua Achebe had dubbed “the Igbo problem”. They argue that the Igbos are more cosmopolitan, more adapted to other cultures, more individualistic and competitive, more receptive to change and more prone to settle and work in other parts of the country but the myth persists that they are aggressive, arrogant and clannish.
The Jews of West Africa? - The Unz Review

But it's not just their culture that makes them this way. They are a closed inbreeding population who over many centuries have become much more intelligent than most other Nigerians and even most other Africans. Other Nigerians mock them for their large heads.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:53 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
The issue is we have a clear definition of what height is, but not one for intelligence.

It is something of a joke among African Americans that "white folks don't have any common sense!" Is common sense intelligence?

Ever notice that most Darwin Award winners are not black? Or how when anything absurd happens (a terrorist attack, a shooting, etc) black people are the first to RUN while white people are more likely to say "let's check this out" and end up killed?

I was at a restaurant once and a fire broke under the streets as some wires got fried. Black smoke started billowing out of an electrical power hatch and the whole place turned black as pitch. As I ran towards the kitchen and what I assumed was a back door, I heard several white customers asking "ah...should we leave"? I ran through the restaurant's kitchen, through their back door, past astonished looking staff and ended up safely in the alley. Well, I was there, as was a black family who followed, seeing I had the right idea, and seconds later a black waiter was next to me. I was in my car when the white customers finally started to leave.

It may sound unscientific, and it is, but that's because there is no real way to measure "survival intelligence." If there was, I think we would see people of African descent would be on top.
So you're saying that black intelligence and white intelligence are two different things?? That blacks can't do the kinds of things whites can do and vice versa? That the races are different??

Old 09-06-2015, 06:05 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Honestly, I don't care who is at the top or bottom as far as SAT scores are concerned. All I care about is this. I care about where I stand. I care about how I do. How some other kid did on the SAT is none of my business. I've already gone through college and I have mine. if you don't study and work hard for the best grades, well, the results will show. Simple as that. All of this complaining about Blacks and Hispanics isn't going to make things get better. I really am not bothered at all that Asians are scoring higher than everyone else. Fine. Whatever. I was never bothered by it. What bothers me is if someone doesn't put the effort in when it comes to one's studies. What disgusts me are people who will use the SAT scores to thumb their noses at Blacks and other groups.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDays123 View Post
It looks like our country is getting dumber and we will have to import more Asians and Indians (from India) to help this country continue to innovate and succeed. These results are pathetic but the article does state that family income has a lot to do with it.

From the article:

"SAT scores dropped significantly for the class of college-bound seniors this year. All three sections saw declines -- and the numbers were down for male and female students alike. At the same time, SAT scores showed continued patterns in which white and Asian students, on average, receive higher scores than do black and Latino students."

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...s-remain-large
Is the same percentage of kids taking the test? As of this year ALL students in Michigan will take the SAT. It was an optional test taken only by kids whose colleges required it before. Yes, our scores are about to go WAY DOWN but it's not because the kids got dumber. It's because we're going to make them all take the test now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies