Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 06:49 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this study could explain this phenomenon:

Report: Negligent Parenting Hurts Black Students' Performance

Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Human beings are complicated, you can't just judge them on numbers on a graph. It's cultural, it's mentors early in life.

How can a black kid with terrible academics become a great chess player? I thought that was the ultimate thinking Man's game? Because it has happened.

I truly hate these graphs and these boxes that liberals constantly want to put us all in. Every person has value, but liberals want to let you know just where you stand CONSTANTLY and it makes me sick.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yes, because the whole country is a mess thanks to military rule and civil war, all the result of a "country" that was cobbled together by the British.

No, if you bothered to read, you would see it is Nigerians students in America's colleges, not just those who came with degrees. And those same visas apply to any other ethnic group. So why is it Nigerians and not Russians who are the most educated? Or even Brazilians or Dominican's for that matter?

It has to do with the Igbo culture (it is mostly Igbos who are in school, and a few Yoruba) The reason blacks score so low on tests is the exact same reason rural white "redneck" kids score low on tests: they have the same culture, with slight differences. All inner-city thug culture is is redneck culture, adjusted for urban life.

Black Rednecks and White Liberals

In short, black people in America should stop behaving like the Scottish lowlanders, whose "redneck" culture they inherited.
Agreed. I'm of Irish family; and, as a group we ain't the smartest out there even tho some indivdual "Celts" are the best of the best. We had to clean up our own act BEFORE we started to be accepted. I'm 100 percent sure the "Scots-Irish" have or had the same problems.

Too; our Edward A, made the comment that Black ladies as a GROUP are smarter than the dudes. That kick OUT "racism" as the main reason why so many Black dudes come across as stupid. I really believe the "keeping it real" culture is very toxic to most Black people.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Again, why are African ethnicities not broken down like Hispanics?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:06 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
The issue is we have a clear definition of what height is, but not one for intelligence.

It is something of a joke among African Americans that "white folks don't have any common sense!" Is common sense intelligence?

Ever notice that most Darwin Award winners are not black? Or how when anything absurd happens (a terrorist attack, a shooting, etc) black people are the first to RUN while white people are more likely to say "let's check this out" and end up killed?

I was at a restaurant once and a fire broke under the streets as some wires got fried. Black smoke started billowing out of an electrical power hatch and the whole place turned black as pitch. As I ran towards the kitchen and what I assumed was a back door, I heard several white customers asking "ah...should we leave"? I ran through the restaurant's kitchen, through their back door, past astonished looking staff and ended up safely in the alley. Well, I was there, as was a black family who followed, seeing I had the right idea, and seconds later a black waiter was next to me. I was in my car when the white customers finally started to leave.

It may sound unscientific, and it is, but that's because there is no real way to measure "survival intelligence." If there was, I think we would see people of African descent would be on top.
Do you realize that this "survival instinct" (as you euphamistically put it) could also be viewed as a disadvantage? Would you want Emergency Responders to have this instinct? How about soldiers on the battlefield? Maybe blacks are more fearful and prone to the flight-not-fight instinct?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:13 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
victorianpunk...

LOL! I can verify what you are saying. I've been an emergency responder pretty much my entire career except for about the last 5 years where I'm stuck in an office. But I can tell you I've seen this many times.

Construction backhoe hits a gas main with gas blowing near a building. Black folks are running away from the emergency. White folks walking towards it with video cameras

Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
How come the focus is always on the white to black gap?

What about the Asian to white gap?

Or the White to Hispanic gap?
Maybe because those races don't claim to be getting cheated out of quality education?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
http://www.jbhe.com/latest/news/1-22...lgapfigure.gif

Can someone explain why black kids from presumably very educated parents who make a combined income of $140K to $200K (Those are engineers, doctors, lawyers, etc. category) score less on the SAT compared to white kids from poor family making less than $20K?
Perhaps, there are no questions on the test about HipHop/Rap history and music...

Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Culture. Modern black American culture does not put much value on education. Which is why African immigrants do so much better academically:

Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
Yet they will not break down African ethnicities like they do Hispanics or sometimes Asians. It much easier for them to hold on to their ignorance by forcing diverse people into some "black" label. There is a culture of willful ignorance on the part of so many in the majority and certainly those who deal with demographics (and statistics).

Old 09-06-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Another "let's complain about Blacks". Where has it gotten anyone? How has it improved race relations? How has it made test scores go higher?
I don't look at it as "complaining", but more of as discussing a disparity and finding solutions. If we ignored all our problems, would they ever be solved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies