Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:55 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times

Advertisements

Serious quesiton. I see all these posts on facebook, and people on forums like this one saying how Christians are persecuted. The latest is Gene Simmons and his comments about Tim Tebow.

It seems to me that the people that say this are likely the most Politically Correct, "namby-pambies" (or whatever you call them) of all people, which is ironic since they label everone else as PC.

Seriously, do people really think that Christians are persecuted more than Muslims, Jews, Blacks, or other minority groups in this nation? Or is it that these same people are confusing people having and an opinion with actually carrying it out and "persecuting".

When was the last time a Christian Church was vandalized? (And I don't mean a black Christian Church that was vandalized because the congregation was black). I can think of many, many, many times when synagogues and mosques have been. When was the last time people were ACTUALLY profiled for being Christian (as in kicked off a plane, or pulled over for looking a certain way). I'm sure it's happened, but not to the frequency of other groups.

So I guess this is part vent/rant, and part wondering how many people think that the people who throw out the "PC Label" are possibly the most PC, sensitive, butt-hurt group of them all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:59 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
It seems to me that some people having such boring lives that they need to seek out reasons to feel persecuted. We should feel sorry for them. It's difficult for people who have never had to give a moment's thought to anyone who doesn't think like them to adjust to not being in absolute power.

Signed, the Jewish girl whose house was repeatedly the subject of vandalism simply because we were Jewish

Old 09-06-2015, 01:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Are Christians really persecuted here in the USA?

No

Do some Christians feign victimhood?

Frequently

Old 09-06-2015, 01:04 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Christians tend to persecute others.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
No, Christians in USA are not persecuted and the majority of sensible Christians do not think that way anyway.

It's only a fringe element, the "not very bright, somewhat fanatically obsessed Christian" element who pull out the persecution card to try to guilt trip others with it or to boost the sense of martyred superiority of other fanatics like themselves.

The only reason they pull the persecution card is because they don't like anyone else disagreeing and saying "No" to them when they're trying to impose their religious view point on others. So they respond with the "Oh woe is me, I'm a martyr being persecuted for my cause".

Guess what - every belief system or special group has a few fanatics in the barrel. Personally I find it's best to just not engage with any of them.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM

325 posts, read 255,542 times
Only persecuted for their astonishingly bad taste in movies.

Exhibit A: The Omega Code II: Megiddo

Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Serious quesiton. I see all these posts on facebook, and people on forums like this one saying how Christians are persecuted. The latest is Gene Simmons and his comments about Tim Tebow.

It seems to me that the people that say this are likely the most Politically Correct, "namby-pambies" (or whatever you call them) of all people, which is ironic since they label everone else as PC.
This is similar to many other straw man arguments that are used in politics - especially prevalent in right wing propaganda. Rush Limbaugh began using this tactic back in the 80's and it has been very effective, since most Americans these days do not have critical thinking skills.

Keep repeating a false assertion enough times, say it loud and emphatically, throw in a little fear mongering, and eventually the sheeple start accepting it as truth.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:31 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Depends on what you mean by persecution.

If you mean having open season declared on them, being hunted down by government and their neighbors alike, being forbidden to own property, etc., then no, of course not.

If you mean that christians are not able to appropriate the machinery of government for their own, so as to force other people to conform to their vision, then yes, I guess they are.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:35 PM

174 posts, read 124,497 times
NO!

Bunch of drama queens. How dare the government tell me I can't mistreat and control people whose lifestyles I don't agree with.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:36 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This is similar to many other straw man arguments that are used in politics - especially prevalent in right wing propaganda. Rush Limbaugh began using this tactic back in the 80's and it has been very effective, since most Americans these days do not have critical thinking skills.

Keep repeating a false assertion enough times, say it loud and emphatically, throw in a little fear mongering, and eventually the sheeple start accepting it as truth.
They have certainly used it recently to restrict any reasonable discussions about race relations, tolerance of religious expression, the environment, tolerance of sexual identity and have really used the same tactic to (very effictively, I might add) smear any poltical opponent from another party, or even from within.

So I guess my next question: Why are they so loud while all the reasonable people sit quiety and let them spread the lies? Seriously, I look all around me, and it's scary how many people are starting to listen, and to hate on other groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies