Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:10 AM

4,875 posts, read 4,196,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That is how it already is.

The government issues licenses and certificates for legal marriage. The church can do sacramental marriage.
You can have a government marriage with no church involvement, and you can have a religious ceremony without any government recognition.
You can, but none of the legal benefits of that marriage are recognized.

edited to add: although, only once in 10 years have I been required to present my marriage license/certificate to prove my husband and I are legally married...and it was to get health insurance spousal benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,192,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

edited to add: although, only once in 10 years have I been required to present my marriage license/certificate to prove my husband and I are legally married...and it was to get health insurance spousal benefits.
Which is why I said that two separate types of marriage already exist. Legal and religious. You can hove on or the other or both if you so choose.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:27 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,384,959 times
Quote:

If you are being married for religious purposes, why do you need the legal benefits? After all, marriage is for God right?

That was the purpose of jjrose's post. You can get married for religion, government, or both. Don't want the government involved? GREAT! Go to your church and have a ceremony, and don't worry about the benefits. If you are worried about the benefits, then you are saying government should be involved. Which is it?

Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM

My point is that only one of those marriages is legally binding and valid - and that is the government one.

If a couple chooses only to get married in a religious ceremony, it will have no legal benefits.

Personally, I don't care...but they are not the same thing.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,728,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Two kinds of marriage will emerge: government marriage and sacred marriage.

Watch.
Emerge? There are couples forgoing the legality for religious reasons right now. It's perfectly fine.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,728,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
I feel the same way about atheists.

Especially since this has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with a Supreme Court that has been way, way, way out of it's depth lately yet a damned idiot atheist chimes in anyway.
Sorry. No one's going to wear a gag just to protect your delicate sensibilities. If you want to participate in a public forum, you should toughen up.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,192,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Two kinds of marriage will emerge: government marriage and sacred marriage.

Watch.

And the post above is the one I was responding to when discussing that there are already two kinds of marriage.

Quote:
My point is that only one of those marriages is legally binding and valid - and that is the government one.

If a couple chooses only to get married in a religious ceremony, it will have no legal benefits.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,793,734 times
Quote:

I am going to assume that the god would only recognize marriages of a religious ceremony. Therefore, civil marriages/divorces need not concern religious folks.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am going to assume that the god would only recognize marriages of a religious ceremony. Therefore, civil marriages/divorces need not concern religious folks.

Agreed. No church will be "forced" to recognize marriages they don't agree with, and no government should deny the ability to marry to any two people who choose to enter into that contract.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:06 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,788,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
They were shut down or fined or thrown in jail for refusing to violate their first amendment rights. Simple as that. Not going to argue with someone that's clearly wrong and clearly has an agenda.
Lol everyone has an agenda, you have an agenda, these people have an agenda.

What clearly is wrong is when your agenda interferes with someone else's life. A marriage certificate is a legal document that brings medical, economic, and other benefits to a couple. It affects you in no way that another couple receive a marriage certificate.

The Bible, Jesus and God never tell people to try to control other people's lives, so what you all are doing is WRONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies