Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
How many black people need to get murdered by government employees to reach your threshold of it being a problem?
What you don't seem to understand is that it's a problem that has no solution.

Every now and then a government employee is going to murder a black person.

Additionally, every now and then a government employee is going to murder a white person. Do you also consider this a problem?

Quote:
No one said it's most cops, but we have video evidence not of mistakes but of cold blooded murders with taxpayer money, or black people being targeted (unable to avoid interactions).
And those incidents are a statistical anomaly for which there is no solution.

Here is a question. Can you prevent any rapes from ever happening?

Quote:
You seem to be very removed from this problem so perhaps don't understand its pervasiveness, but it's a problem very different from everyday street violence among gangs and such (which is also a problem).
It's not a pervasive problem.

Quick question, who is most likely to murder a black person without any provocation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What you don't seem to understand is that it's a problem that has no solution.

Every now and then a government employee is going to murder a black person.

Additionally, every now and then a government employee is going to murder a white person. Do you also consider this a problem?

And those incidents are a statistical anomaly for which there is no solution.

Here is a question. Can you prevent any rapes from ever happening?

It's not a pervasive problem.

Quick question, who is most likely to murder a black person without any provocation?
I think a lot of people operate in an anecdotal world so see a story about a white guy shot and conclude It's all even.

But data tells a different story. On a per capita basis, there's no comparison in the rate of white people killed by police to the much higher rate of black people.

Now, some of those people did stupid things and were completely justified in being shot by law enforcement. But the issue is the many who did not deserve to die, and a rape has nothing to do with government employees gunning down citizens.

Stop changing the subject. Your group always points to come unrelated problem (often pointing to black on black crime for some reason) to negate the validity that more than a thousand black people killed a year by cops - and many more mistreated - is too many. I worry there's a white separatist population on this site. These are very disturbing arguments of deflection from a problem we can solve pretty easily.

Here's an explanation of the data:
Talk show host: Police kill more whites than blacks | PunditFact

Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Gun control...because criminal control is tooo hard.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
When you get in any major city in the US, the majority of murders is black on black, except in Florida. There it is Cuban on Cuban.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of people operate in an anecdotal world so see a story about a white guy shot and conclude It's all even.

But data tells a different story. On a per capita basis, there's no comparison in the rate of white people killed by police to the much higher rate of black people.

Now, some of those people did stupid things and were completely justified in being shot by law enforcement. But the issue is the many who did not deserve to die, and a rape has nothing to do with government employees gunning down citizens.

Stop changing the subject. Your group always points to come unrelated problem (often pointing to black on black crime for some reason) to negate the validity that more than a thousand black people killed a year by cops - and many more mistreated - is too many. I worry there's a white separatist population on this site. These are very disturbing arguments of deflection from a problem we can solve pretty easily.

Here's an explanation of the data:
Talk show host: Police kill more whites than blacks | PunditFact
Other people live in an imaginary land where cops are running around murdering black people all the time.

Sorry, but cops murdering black people is just as rare as cops murdering white people.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Other people live in an imaginary land where cops are running around murdering black people all the time.

Sorry, but cops murdering black people is just as rare as cops murdering white people.
I literally just posted a link to data that proves your claim wrong.

Your beliefs do not trump the facts. Sorry.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I literally just posted a link to data that proves your claim wrong.

Your beliefs do not trump the facts. Sorry.
And obviously you didn't even bother to read it, did you?

Quick question, how many black people did the article say were murdered by law enforcement officers?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Oh come on now. Chicago's population ( 2.7 million) is more than 20x as large as Bellevue ( 134,000). There are neighborhoods in Chicago larger than Bellevue. The demographics are also very different.

With the exception of some relocation stints, I have spent most of my life in and around Chicago. Most of our families live in Chicago. I have not had the experiences you did. I don't know anyone who has. Neighborhoods matter. And sometimes it comes down to luck.
OK granted that my experiences (and yours) are anecdotal. Maybe I'm just an anomaly who just had bad luck in Chicago. But let's compare the most basic of crime stats between Chicago and Bellevue: the murder rate:
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

Seven of 13 years listed here the murder rate is zero in Bellevue. The peak year was 2006 with 3 murders, for a rate of 2.5 per 100,000. Chicago appears to average in the range of 17 or 18 per 100,000. The peak (for years listed by CD) was 2001 with 23 murders per 100,000. The low was 2013 w/ 15.2.

Again there are two gun ranges within a 15 minute drive in Bellevue. When I lived in Chicago, there were zero gun ranges or shops. You had to drive out to the burbs if you wanted to buy a gun, and even then it was against the law to bring even a legally-purchased handgun inside Chicago city limits.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
And obviously you didn't even bother to read it, did you?

Quick question, how many black people did the article say were murdered by law enforcement officers?
Are you really claiming the 2k+ white people killed are "more" than the 1k+ black people killed, even though white people comprise 63% of our population and black people only 13%? I'm scared that you don't even know what "per capita" meant in my post.

Your argument is akin to sensationalist talk radio level of intellectual laziness.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Are you really claiming the 2k+ white people killed are "more" than the 1k+ black people killed, even though white people comprise 63% of our population and black people only 13%? I'm scared that you don't even know what "per capita" meant in my post.

Your argument is akin to sensationalist talk radio level of intellectual laziness.
Why are you dodging the question?

What number does your link give for the number of black people murdered by police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies