Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
What about the guy who gets a knife held on him and is told to hand over his wallet and cell phone? Wouldn't he be much better off carrying a concealed firearm? What about the woman who gets attacked in a parking garage and someone tries to force her into her car? Why can't she carry a concealed firearm?The only thing we do know is that violence and crime would increase if criminals knew that every potential victim they encounter is unarmed. It's a matter of most criminals want easy targets and your money or stuff. They don't want a physical confrontation or a gun fight. They'd avoid you if they knew there was a chance of being harmed or caught. A shooting spree is an extremely rare event. Tragic, but extremely lightning strike rare.
I have enjoyed some responses from the more addled minded left that question the benefit of the police carrying guns if they can be targeted and assaulted so easily. Who here doesn't think they'd be targeted in far greater numbers if they weren't armed?
This is a thread fail, sorry.
We have open carry in town here. I didn't realize it until we went to a festival downtown and I kept seeing weapons on the belts of some of the people. At first, it seemed a little creepy but then I realized if I wanted to commit a crime, I would choose another town to do it.

Kansas is pretty generous with gun laws which is fine with me.

Someone mentioned using fists or ball bat? I'm 61 years old and a female and if someone comes in, I need an advantage that my fists or ball bat wouldn't give me. I do have a cast iron griddle that if I could surprise the person coming in might be feasible. They come in my house and I have enough warning, a lot of bad stuff is going to happen to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 11:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
So then the whole "class" was a sham to promote gun control?

Either the students were part of the sham OR they were done a great disservice.
If the students were not part of the sham, then it was supposed to be an actual class to train people looking to acquire a CCP? They ought to sue for having their time wasted.

That'd be like an organization offering classes on the merits of the pro-choice stance and then showing the planned parenthood videos.

Obvious deception no matter what the real story actually is.
I guess you missed the part of the video at 2:05 where they say "he doesn't know the other students around him are cops". Essentially, they were all actors playing a role in this play.

Everything about this was set up to "prove" that if you have a gun, it's not going to help you.

Actually, they went a step further and proved that if you have a gun and you're attacked by a trained cop who knows you have that gun and will make sure you are his primary target, your gun won't make a difference.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:42 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Simple question, someone breaks into both our houses with a weapon. Who is it that has the better chance of defending themselves. You with your fists or me with my gun?

By the time you realized someone is in the house, went to get your gun, fiddled with the bullets, and got shot from behind because you were making so much noise it was easy for the intruder to find you;

I'd be out of the house and called the cops.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yep. I agree. Be it a gun, knife, ball bat, your bare hands (yes you can kill someone with your bare hands) whatever.... The only myth being perpetrated here is the the myth that stricter gun laws will prevent criminals from getting them, or prevent criminals from committing violent crimes.

OP... thread fail!
Confused.

You agree with a poster that says a gun is practically useless in defense.

And then you said my thread is a giant failed. Basically you agreed with me and then say you don't agree with me.

Romney, is that you?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
By the time you realized someone is in the house, went to get your gun, fiddled with the bullets, and got shot from behind because you were making so much noise it was easy for the intruder to find you;

Once again, we respect your right to not have a gun if that is your choice.

Can you respect our right to have one to protect ourselves if it ever comes to that?

Quote:
Confused.

And then you said my thread is a giant failed. Basically you agreed with me and then say you don't agree with me.

Romney, is that you?
The thing is, there have been a ton of incidents where people have successfully defended themselves with their guns.

Is there a reason you choose to ignore this?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:

And of course you'll be able to just quietly sneak out of the house without a peep without the risk of you yourself getting shot in the back, right? At any rate, even if the gun is locked up, you would be suprised as to how quick it is to obtain access to it, and load.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:53 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So OP is recommending everyone get professionally trained on how to handle a gun...I agree.

I can agree with the anti-gun crowd that we would have less deaths on a normal basis if we didn't have guns. However, the world occasionally sees millions of unarmed citizens killed after they were disarmed such as in Nazi Germany, Stalin's Russia, Mao China, Laos, etc. It's better to accept a dribble than a flood.
Well, the OP doesn't know what "professional training" is, nor what constitutes a "professional trainer". Therefore, is unqualified to comment. OP, has never been in a life or death situation, nor , do I believe, he/she knows someone, well, who has been. But, I do agree, with you, that seeking proper training, is a good thing. The "training" part is where I diverge from many lines of thought.

AFTER , having attended some prestigious school( Ayoob or such) does a person continue to progress, or call those basics good? Yes, BASICS. I'm not calling Ayoob an amateur, and in this he may agree, where do you go AFTER school? Do you even practice at all, or is a piece of paper with a prestigious instructors name on it enough? Or, even less prestigious, **PD Academy etc.

The only thing that gets one even close to "ready" for a lethal encounter, is having one, and surviving. Something nobody wants, let alone can attend class for. People who have done this, yep, they have schools. I will say, credentials run from impeccable to questionable, but training, often better than what cops get, is available. ( sigh) many folks have the "best" training. The basics, then..welcome to the real deal. This runs the gamut of high end , "spec ops" types, down to us lowly civilians. The "been there done that" crew, that are far more numerous than the OP thinks.

So many armed, and trained, civilians, defend themselves every day, but, we don't hear about it. Doesn't make the news, might not even be reported to police (most likely..not). There's a large number in that latter fact.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:54 AM

Just a week ago, two thugs kicked in the back door of an 85-year-old elderly man in order to victimize him. The man, who would stand no chance against two 34-year-olds, retrieved his gun and shot one of them, and the other ran off.

You'll notice one of the thugs relatives went to the elderly victim's home to confront him for shooting the thug relative.

El Cerrito Homeowner Confronted By Relative Of Burglary Suspect He Shot « CBS San Francisco

Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:

Again, post fail. I won't even go thru the details of it with you.

Oh, and here in Detroit we have something like a 37 minute response time for the police. In the suburbs maybe 10-15. Many things can happen in those time frames. Hope you have your exit out of your house planned out , clothed, shoes on, cell phone in hand etc.... you don't want to be fiddling around with those little details while exiting the house now do you ?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Confused.

Romney, is that you?

No! Your thread is a fail, because it's just more BS propaganda that comes from the anti-gun crowd! That doesn't mean I don't agree with what the other poster was stating that if someone wants to kill you bad enough they will find a means to do so, because that person is correct. At any rate, I'd still rather have the option to defend myself, my home and my family than be without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies