Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 PM

23,414 posts, read 12,470,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Here's the thing, in a nutshell.. When the state takes custody of you, they are responsible for your welfare. If you don't agree, look up the definition of custody. They could have written him a ticket and left him to his own welfare. When they took custody, they took the responsibility.
Since when do they simply write a person a ticket and send them on their merry way after that person is busted on a parole violation?

Old 11-04-2015, 02:39 PM

169 posts, read 168,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Since when do they simply write a person a ticket and send them on their merry way after that person is busted on a parole violation?
you're splitting hairs. the post you quoted was correct

Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 PM

23,414 posts, read 12,470,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post
you're splitting hairs.
Actually no, since that statement I commented on was incorrect.

Quote:
the post you quoted was correct
And, so? There was nothing in that particular post of mine to give her any reason to quote it and make the comments she'd made.

The particular post that was quoted was an update post that was regarding several different things. The only comment I had made was when referring to the suicide attempt by FG's mother, and, she was not in police custody at the time of her suicide attempt. I made no comments regarding the other two update links which were regarding the case.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:44 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,886,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
They aren't Baltimore like most cities is self-insured. The money will come out of the City's budget.
How does Balmer city fit a $6.4M ghetto lottery payout into it's budget? If you have ever been where this stuff took place you would ask the question aloud. I bet the family is broke in a decade if not sooner and with nothing to show for it but a few hoopties with big rims. Throw in some ugly tats.

They'll be on Jerry Springer.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here is what I would suggest based on the facts we know. He was holding heroin(numerous arrests for drug possession with intent to deliver). As he was being chased by the police he swallowed it and the baggie or whatever he was using to hold it burst.(he tested positive for opiates). This apparently happens quite a bit and it would explain his actions while being taken to the van. Once in the van he probably stood up, van came to a stop or took off and he did a header into the side of it(other prisoner indicated he was banging around).

It's very difficult to stand in a vehicle in stop and go traffic let alone bent over in a van with your feet and hands shackled presumably under the influence of narcotics. Once you start going you can't even put your hands up to stop yourself.

This fits the facts as we know know them. In this scenario the only negligence is they didn't strap him in.
If they would have strapped him in and he was alive today a court case would surface about it being cruel and unusual.

You can't beat stupid but it can be ignored; something decent people need to learn to do.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
I'm sure the family of Gray would. Like it or not, he was a human being with family and feelings too. I understand he wasn't innocent, but that doesn't mean he deserved to die. The settlement is not only necessary but it's also standard procedure for police brutality incidents resulting in death.

This is Baltimorons we are speaking of. They burn their own neighborhoods down for sport and the mayor orders the police to step aside so they can do so. The family would hold the cash and forget Freddy.

Much of Baltimore - black and white - has trailer park mentality. I use to have a sales route there 25 years ago so spent much time there. I am an Orioles fan and have seen the not so good side of the area around Memorial stadium in the decades before Camden Yards was built.

I know a bunch of ne'er-do-wells from Dundalk, North Point and Highlandtown. It's a whopping 60 miles away from me.

The city and surrounding counties do have some nice neighborhoods but they don't get much mention.

The best hospital in the world, JHU, is in the middle of hell and a mile from the Inner Harbor, Baltimore's tourist destination.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker2005 View Post
I still think they're making this worse. 6.4 is not nearly enough for these people. When the cops get off, or they move the trial, which this almost certainly makes it seem like it will now, they're gonna be even more angry. I don't see it going well at all. This was just a pacifier.

Ya think they'll burn down more CVS stores?

Popcorn, please

Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My GUESS is that his relatives would have traded his life for $5,000.

They might have settled for a bag of weed and a case of 40s.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You should take economics 101 & 102. You would find out that the people on Wall Street are not criminals, and they did not cause the Great Recession.
Congress passed bills which forced the hands of banks under Clinton's watch.

Anyone want Hillary in the same seat?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If he jumps out a window, the state is not responsible for not stopping him. How many prisoners get to sue the state when they get raped in prison??? How many families sue if their family member is killed in prison???

I think Sandra Bland's family has a very good case if they push for it. Those cops smell guilty from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.