Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 03:27 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,209,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The business community loves that cheap illegal labor so let them pay up now.
Huh? If they're using illegals how is this going to change anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 03:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Liberal elites never live near what they create and profit from. That's what the gated communities and private schools are for.

I can show you some real depressing places in deep blue rich Westchester county or Long Island..away from the "good" liberal white folk naturally.

Stephen Moore and Richard Vedder: Liberal Blue States Have Greater Income Inequality than Conservative Red States - WSJ

You can argue with it, but it's pretty well documented.
I am FROM Long Island. save it. BTW, most of Long Island votes republican. But go ahead and educate me some more.

Any time Dems try to do anything at all about the income gap, your type screams that they want to increase unemployment.

Quote:
The point is to increase unemployment, thus government dependency, thus eternal Democrat votes.

Every evil they do is by design.
Please just quit while you're behind. Not everything is the fault of liberals. You sounds like muslims blaming everything on Jews. Yeah, I said it.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How in the world do you determine only large chain fast food workers deserve a raise and no one else?
Politically expedient. Fast food is already looked down upon as being bad for people and are big bad corporations blah blah blah so they go after them instead.

In short, grandstanding.

But hey, I really don't care....that's NY's business.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I am FROM Long Island. save it. BTW, most of Long Island votes republican. But go ahead and educate me some more.

Any time Dems try to do anything at all about the income gap, your type screams that they want to increase unemployment.
While I agree with many of your points about "blaming liberals" mindlessly.....the Congressional Budget Office under the current administration has already stated that higher minimum wages will increase unemployment as employers seek to mitigate the increase by using fewer more competent workers, mechanization etc.

Also, the vast number of illegals suppress wages for jobs like that. I'm not going to say right or wrong but it's a basic fact that you can get people to work these jobs cheaply because they have no documentation and are desperate. Without that massive cheap labor pool businesses would have to pay more for labor.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:34 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,332,195 times
Watch the franchised places disappear.

New Yorkers will have to go to Hoboken to get a hamburger or a pizza.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While I agree with many of your points about "blaming liberals" mindlessly.....the Congressional Budget Office under the current administration has already stated that higher minimum wages will increase unemployment as employers seek to mitigate the increase by using fewer more competent workers, mechanization etc.

Also, the vast number of illegals suppress wages for jobs like that. I'm not going to say right or wrong but it's a basic fact that you can get people to work these jobs cheaply because they have no documentation and are desperate. Without that massive cheap labor pool businesses would have to pay more for labor.
I started this thread, no? I am aware of the implications.

The poster I was replying to insinuated every single move made by libs is catastrophic.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:41 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,110,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Suffolk county born and raised.

It went for Obama. Twice.

As did Nassau. Twice.

Tell me more about this Republican dominance.

Quote:
Dems are dedicated to class warfare and government dependency.

Quote:
Please just quit while you're behind. Not everything is the fault of liberals. You sounds like muslims blaming everything on Jews. Yeah, I said it.
I never said it was. You are projecting.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,602,675 times
Quote:
The middle class was already established by the turn of the century after the industrial revolution.
The plant foreman might have been considered a part of the emerging middle class at the turn of the century. The majority however, including children, toiled 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week for enough to make the rent in a tenement.

By 1913, the average wage on Ford's production line was $2.25 week. Ford hired 52,000 a year to keep 14,000 due to turnover. Ford changed his compensation model to $2.50 week for work and a $2.50/week character bonus. The bonus was offered to men with families who became Americanized, learned English, avoided alcohol and gambling, kept a clean house and their children louse free. Home inspections were the order of the day.And your foreman had better not find you at the local tavern.

Middle class did not sincerely emerge until after WW2. The GI bill and unions lifted move out of poverty into the middle class than anything else.

It was a different time/place.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Suffolk county born and raised.

It went for Obama. Twice.

As did Nassau. Twice.

Tell me more about this Republican dominance.

Dems are dedicated to class warfare and government dependency.

I never said it was. You are projecting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Long_Island

you're welcome

Old 09-10-2015, 03:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,602,675 times
Another way of looking at this very local decision to increase the wage of some fast food workers is that it will likely diminish the perceived value of organized labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies