Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 12:42 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

You obviously have no idea what "greed" is and why it is a good thing. Perhaps Milton Friedman can help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

Liberals would do well to push for more freedom in the poor, undeveloped countries.

I want to add. I saw the video and I am 100% in agreement with Milton Friedman. Without capitalism we are lost and make no mistake about it---------Norway is capitalist too. But, they recognize the need to make life easy for the average folks. Otherwise, what is the point of civilization and technological advancement?

And unfortunately we cannot have pure capitalism. The greater the success of capitalism the greater the social programs because they prevent social revolution. The less talented must be kept happy otherwise we have riots. It seems you guys do not get this basic concept.

In addition, you folks defend crony capitalism which makes no sense. Crony capitalism simply moves money from one pocket to another and there is NO wealth creation. It survives under the protection of Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
McDonalds rolled them out in Georgia too, where the state/municipal wage is the same as federal, $7.25.

Given the majority of McDonald's business is drive through, it has no impact.

The touch screen order allows the consumer to customize which take more time for humans to prepare.
Humans also deliver the order in baskets to the consumer's table which takes more time than handing over a bag at the counter.

They are attempting to better compete with the likes of corporate-owned sit down chains as they do in Europe metro areas.

On the flip side, some of the corporate-owned sit down chains are converting to touch screen ordering and payment. The pads also enable the consumer to play online table games for a fee. Chili's found diners who ate at tables equipped with the tablets spent more per check, particularly on "up-sell" items like dessert and coffee.
Clearly McDonalds believes it has an impact or they wouldnt be doing it.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Your choice to become outraged, or not.

I prefer to focus on things I can control about my own life, primarily my own reaction.
So comparing the cost of living to other countries isnt fair because it varies in different parts of the country, and we shouldnt discuss minimum wage standards in those very same countries because its out of your control, but we should whine endlessly that the minimum wage sholdnt be what it is..

Weird

Last edited by pghquest; 09-11-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I want to add. I saw the video and I am 100% in agreement with Milton Friedman. Without capitalism we are lost and make no mistake about it---------Norway is capitalist too. But, they recognize the need to make life easy for the average folks. Otherwise, what is the point of civilization and technological advancement?

And unfortunately we cannot have pure capitalism. The greater the success of capitalism the greater the social programs because they prevent social revolution. The less talented must be kept happy otherwise we have riots. It seems you guys do not get this basic concept.

In addition, you folks defend crony capitalism which makes no sense. Crony capitalism simply moves money from one pocket to another and there is NO wealth creation. It survives under the protection of Washington DC.
Norway????? Ok, you are definitely a troll. Why do Leftists constantly compare us to such tiny nations? Mathematically challenged I tell ya.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
There are endless regional exceptions.

For example, Williston, ND has the highest rent per square footage in the US while the state's Minimum Wage is the same as the federal minimum, $7.25. Dickinson, ND is not too far off.

Rent for a one bedroom in the city center of Austin, Tx ( $7.25/hr) is the same as it is in a comparable and desirable neighborhood of Chicago ( $10) or Madison, Wisconsin ( $7.25).
rent isnt dictated by minimum wage, its determined by costs associated with maintaining the property and cap rates. Things like taxes have far more reaching effects than salaries.

What you can afford, has no bearing on what I'm selling because others can afford it.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
First, who is defending crony capitalism?
Second, how the hell can you claim there is no wealth creation? if I have an exclusive patent on a product, (or crony capitalism, which the government demands you buy x from me), then my cost goes up and you are indeed creating wealth.. for me...

Old 09-11-2015, 01:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Clearly McDonalds believes it has an impact or they wouldnt be doing it.
Of course McDonalds hopes it has a favorable impact on declining sales/revenues. Allow the consumer to order it their way and deliver it to their table in a spiff plastic basket.

The concept has proven effective in some parts of Europe where it's all about walk in as opposed to drive thru business.

There was a time when it appeared that grocery cashiers and baggers would go the way of a dinosaur, replaced by self check out. That hasn't been the case. Too much theft and scanning issues.

In highly competitive grocery markets, it's all about the cashier engaging with the consumer and baggers are alive and well and will help you load your trunk if desired.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
rent isnt dictated by minimum wage, its determined by costs associated with maintaining the property and cap rates. Things like taxes have far more reaching effects than salaries.

What you can afford, has no bearing on what I'm selling because others can afford it.
Given rent usually takes the biggest chunk of people's paychecks, it has a huge impact on the cost of living in a given area.

States and municipalities within states can decide to increase their wages or not. I have no issue with leaving the federal wage where it's at, forever.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Norway????? Ok, you are definitely a troll. Why do Leftists constantly compare us to such tiny nations? Mathematically challenged I tell ya.
Please enlighten me! In Norway the minimum wage is 21-24 USD.
Are you saying they are a small country so they do not count?
Are you saying they are white so they do not count?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
First, who is defending crony capitalism?
Second, how the hell can you claim there is no wealth creation? if I have an exclusive patent on a product, (or crony capitalism, which the government demands you buy x from me), then my cost goes up and you are indeed creating wealth.. for me...
Putting more money in your pocket is not wealth creation.

If that was the case poor countries could simply print more money to be wealthy.

Let me paste the definition of crony capitalism again:

Quote:
Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of state interventionism.[1][2] Crony capitalism is believed to arise when business cronyism and related self-serving behavior by businesses or businesspeople spills over into politics and government,[3] or when self-serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public-serving economic and political ideals.
The term "crony capitalism" made a significant impact in the public arena as an explanation of the Asian financial crisis.[4] It is also used to describe governmental decisions favoring "cronies" of governmental officials. In this context, the term is often used interchangeably with corporate welfare; to the extent that there is a difference, it may be the extent to which a government action can be said to benefit individuals rather than entire industries.
WIKI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies