Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 05:26 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,923,835 times

Advertisements

you couldn't be more wrong! There were heroes in every airplane, every building, every street corner, I'm just glad Bush was president... Because Obama would have been hiding under his desk.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:32 PM

17,379 posts, read 13,146,443 times
I was in Philadelphia on business, getting ready for sales calls with TV on in the background. When they zoomed in on the smoke and were calling it as a small plane collision, something clicked in my head. Too much smoke!

I sat on the bed and watched in horror as both towers fell. Then The Pentagon. Then Shanksville. Somewhere in the chaos, I called my wife and told her to turn on the TV.

When the news that all aircraft were being grounded "temporarily", I knew I was driving home. I flew enough to know that they would stay grounded a long time. I was lucky, I already had a rental car. Tried to call National Car Rental to let them know I was not going to return, busy. So, I started a very long drive home.

Very long because the rental had a broken antenna and would only pick up stations in close proximity. I stopped at every rest area on the way home to find out what was happening. (I couldn't get in touch with National for a few days when I did, they told me to just drop the car off at DAY when I could. They did not charge me a one way drop off charge and didn't increase my daily rate.)

I am smart enough to know the magnitude of the tragedy, but the real magnitude hit me in the face when I saw armed soldiers guarding the entrances of the tunnels on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I knew we were at war.

Spent the next many days glued to the TV like the rest of the country (world) I knew then that things would never be the same again.

There are pivotal dates that can never be forgotten. Pearl Harbor, VE and VJ dates for my parents. The Kennedy assassination and the Challenger explosion for me. But, 9/11 is THE pivotal date for most of us.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:38 PM

17,379 posts, read 13,146,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not onto concrete. Parachute's have failed and people have survived but they usually slowed down their fall with trees and landed in marshy bog. Very, rare. You would not survive this from a building.

No, the people on the upper floors could not get south of the floors where the plane crashed. They were only able to climb to the roof of the building.
I wasn't going to post this. you don't have to watch, but their story needs to be told:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnr...layer_embedded

Old 09-11-2015, 05:40 PM

962 posts, read 627,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not onto concrete. Parachute's have failed and people have survived but they usually slowed down their fall with trees and landed in marshy bog. Very, rare. You would not survive this from a building.

No, the people on the upper floors could not get south of the floors where the plane crashed. They were only able to climb to the roof of the building.
Name one solution they could have did to make themselves more likely to survive in general, if the lower floor stairways were blocked by the crashed planes and it was too high of a jump.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:18 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,664,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Seems like most have moved on....not much memory of the day.

Me? I worked for many years in the Cantor space.... more than 100 of my friends, colleagues and competitors met with death that day.

Forever, I will remember them, the horror of the moment, and shape of life since.

Old expression: "Lest we forget......." Somehow I think we mostly have.
No, we have not forgot. We are simply doing that which truly honors those who were lost.
We are moving on. Not letting this stop us from living.

We don't forget. We keep on going.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,831,151 times
I don't remember much of 9/11 because I was pretty deep in depression at that time. The first plane had already hit the building when I got up that morning and I was watching when the second plane hit, but it really didn't dawn on me what had happened. I hate to say it, but I was just too depressed to care. I took in the fact of people jumping and of all the shoes they found on the ground, but it didn't really register. And I have to admit, I always wondered if I used my depression to just turn off what I was hearing about.

I do remember watching an international jumping show (horses) held in Saudi Arabia somewhere (I think) right after 9/11, and every participant was wearing a US flag sewn to his sleeve. That finally brought home to me what had happened.

In 2005, I found a book called "The Ghosts of Vesuvius" which drew a parallel to the way the dust cloud from Vesuvius collapsed on Pompeii in AD79 to the way the Towers collapsed. It was pretty easy reading until the last chapter or two, and I finally began to understand the horror of that day.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I read Laurie Garrett's "I Heard the Sirens Screaming" which is a first hand, incredibly researched and detailed day by day timeline of what happened in New York that day and afterward. She describes the meetings and the back biting that went on with the mayor's office, and between the CDC and the FBI. It's well worth reading if you can find the book. I'm in Washington state and my library had to order the book from the University of Arkansas for me to be able to finally read it.

By the way, I don't remember the figures, but Laurie Garrett does address the number of people who got out of the towers. From what I can remember, no one above the floors that were hit by the planes escaped.

Anyway, I think I finally faced what happened and I have a handle on my feelings about it.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:59 PM

35,435 posts, read 20,796,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
you couldn't be more wrong! There were heroes in every airplane, every building, every street corner, I'm just glad Bush was president... Because Obama would have been hiding under his desk.
Busch froze, but today is not for that

Last edited by tinytrump; 09-11-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 07:01 PM

35,435 posts, read 20,796,828 times
we will never forget, let us learn to stand together as one -that is what it will take!

Old 09-11-2015, 07:06 PM

5,237 posts, read 3,577,791 times
I walked by my local small Firehouse in Queens this evening just by happenstance, no plan to do so, & they had a small card table with the photos of three young guys who never saw September 12, 2001 who had worked there.

My job brought me down to ground zero many times after 9/11 & I still get chills thinking about the acres of devastation & debris with hundreds of small alarms constantly going off, the smoke & smell & the look of shock on everyone.

An old buddy of mine in the same line of work was there,several blocks away, when the tower collapsed & was completely covered with that dust. He was an active guy who had run an Ironman triathlon back in the day he passed away about 4-5 years ago from respiratory issues in his 50s.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,031,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Name one solution they could have did to make themselves more likely to survive in general, if the lower floor stairways were blocked by the crashed planes and it was too high of a jump.
What are you talking about? There was zero chance for survival for the people above the floors where the planes crashed. Why don't you understand that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies