Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:04 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,883,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I would not want to work with THAT thing !
Name calling is not ok. It's interesting how many people care so much about issues that don't concern them. Is this person a good employee? That's a more important question.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:29 PM

13,293 posts, read 9,827,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Thanks for trying, but most of your reply isn't addressing what I asked. Maybe my question wasn't clear. But I'll respond to your bold part. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that these men wouldn't say they "feel like a woman," but rather, the gender they feel more comfortable with is female. I don't understand the difference. Seems like two ways of pretty much saying the same thing. But I'm still trying to follow you...so....

I asked why wouldn't a man who likes dresses and sparkly things simply be a man in a dress and sparkly things. Do you think that such a man feels like he would never be accepted in this culture and this time dressed that way, and he thinks it will be easier to fit in and be accepted if he tries to pass himself off as a female?

Personally, I'd much rather see men in dresses admitting they are men who like dresses, instead of men who want to pretend to be women. No one should have to pretend. No one should surgically mutilate their genitals. That seems so horrible! Why can't they just be who they are, with their original body parts and hormones and likes and dislikes and style?
They aren't just men who like dresses. It's not just men, either. And afaik , they feel like they should have been born the other sex from a very early age, and that it's how it's always been for them.

There are men who desire to wear women's clothing but do not actually feel like women. They are transvestites. Trans people are not the same.

I can't explain how it feels because I don't feel it. I'd guess you'd have to ask them.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:34 PM

13,293 posts, read 9,827,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
1. If transgenders just want to lead a productive life like everyone else, why is everyone aware of them and their transition? They crave attention. If all they wanted was to transition they would keep it to themselves and there would be no show. It would be done, over and no one knows. Move to another town. Why? If you moved to another sex, moving to another town should be easy and desirable. Somebody knows and will spill the beans.

2. Everyone likes seeing how many clowns can fit into a car at the circus.

It's not a she, it's yet another person who "feels" - the key word - entitled to be a drama queen. Face it - it's all about the drama. Why don't they "feel" the need to go all the way with their transition? Too much drama or too much reality?
2 weeks after the lopitoffomy the truth will set in and the mutilated man will break down and realize he took it too far. He didn't want to be a woman, he wanted to dress like one.
1. Productive lives meaning work and pay bills. The doesn't preclude them for fighting for their rights of they're so inclined.

2. There are plenty of trans people who aren't in the spotlight. You can't speak for what other people feel or don't.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:40 PM

15,798 posts, read 21,316,439 times
Quote:
If tomorrow a transgender person starts to work in my department, the only question is if I choose to walk out or give a formal resignation. I might not even bother resigning. I will not show respect to any employer that asks me to work with THAT
Good. In my organization, you would be fired so fast that you wouldn't know what hit you. Thank G-d.

Decent organizations don't tend to retain "talent" that brags about being unable to deal with people who are different than you are. And they certainly don't tend to retain those who don't have the grit and character to work with people whose personalities or lifestyles you don't agree with. After all, someone has to work with you, right?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:06 PM

3,367 posts, read 2,853,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You do know that Wikipedia is not authoritative right? Transgenderism was virtually unknown in 1969 and wasn't an important part of Stonewall. Transvestites, sure, but not transgender.
Wikipedia is good enough for a qoute. I don't know what you call "transgenderism", but if we go by a more or less common definition that says "transgederism includes all aspects of gender identity conflict", then it was there since the beginning of time.

By the same definition, transvestites are transgender.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The solution is not to hire them in the first place. You don't have to fire or discriminate against someone who doesn't work for you. And no one can say why they weren't hired other than they just weren't a good fit for the job. The manager in the story didn't handle it well and could have gotten rid of the guy in a more discrete fashion.
Some people might come out after being hired

And some might be so much better fit for a job description, that it might be difficult to explain why hiring someone else, less qualified for a position and not a transgender person, is not a discrimination.

Plus, an employer would be required to provide all the internal emails on the subject, and if there are many people involved in the hiring process, there will be some mentioning of a special condition... Lawyers and judges aren't fools, and they can take a lot of your money in a law suite even if the person in question is not hired.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:16 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,456,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Honestly I can't tell she's a man. She looks like an overweight, homely, unkept woman. It isn't obvious to me. I don't know how some of you can tell she's a man? I really can't..
I agree. If you never heard this story or saw the license, you could easily think she was always a woman. Now, pictures can't tell us what the voice and mannerisms were like. Maybe it was more obvious in person.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,144,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Michael Jackson?
MJ suffered from a disease that caused his skin to lighten, and it was best for him to make the rest of his body look "white" or "lighter". It wasn't, "Hey, I feel like being white", it was the result of a skin disease.

I see this often, people assuming MJ just wanted to become white.

Quote:
I would not want to work with THAT thing !
If I'm a business owner or an associate of someone like Dye, I don't care what he or she looks like, as long as it's legal and making me money.

If you'd rather quit your job that you're otherwise happy/successful at because your company decides to hire someone, who's obviously qualified, that is transgender (or gay or whatever), then that speaks more to your own personal issues and not being able to maintain a cordial professional relationship like a mature adult.

I have never understood why people are so obsessed with what other people do with their life, as long as it's legal and not hurting anyone. People have enough going on in their own life to be so judgmental and disrespectful of others'.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Here in NYC things are different. Local anti-discrimination laws pile on those on the state and federal level. Sexual orientation and or gender expression are protected classes: Commission on Human Rights - What the Law Covers

Being as that may trans can and often do face discrimination even here, employers just are more cagey about how they go about things so not as to fun afoul of the law.

For instance in NYS you can terminate a new employee within 90 days (IIRC) of hire without having to give a reason. So if "she" was hired and later found out to be a "he" places can and have simply dismissed a trans before the probationary period was out.

Also until recent involvement by the EEOC on this matter lying on an employment application (saying one was a "she" instead of "he" for instance) was grounds for termination.

Finally until NYC recently made changes to birth certificate and obtaining a City issued ID card most trans here had a hard time finding any sort of employment, housing or whatever because they couldn't produce documents that matched whatever sex they "wanted" to be. Federal law requires all employers to ask for and make copies of documents proving a potential employee is a US citizen or has a legal right work here. So if you look like a woman but your drivers license and BC say "male"...

Life is not fair, and for many transsexuals, going through transition and having to deal with all these issues, bigotry and discrimination is still a better option than living the life as a male. Many cannot deal with life realities and commit suicide, suicidal rate among transgender is about 6 times higher than among straight folks. Others are forced to prostitution, and life on the streets. It's still better for them to take it, than to live as males...

I have highest respect for transsexuals who are out there, they risk everything in their life and their life itself for their pursuit of happiness, dreams and believes.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
MJ suffered from a disease that caused his skin to lighten, and it was best for him to make the rest of his body look "white" or "lighter". It wasn't, "Hey, I feel like being white", it was the result of a skin disease.

I see this often, people assuming MJ just wanted to become white.
Yeah, right. With his amount of money, he could get any medication and any diagnosys he wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies