Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:59 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren44 View Post
You are also missing presidential memorandum he uses to restrict gun rights...
What "gun rights" have been restricted?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren44 View Post
You are also missing presidential memorandum he uses to restrict gun rights and etc that has him surpassing Harry S Truman
Prove it.

PS: My guns haven't noticed any changes except that now I can concealed carry in National Parks. What restrictions have your knickers in a knot?

Carry on.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
He may have said that. And it may even have happened.
But it doesn't make sense.

*Slavery was alive and well in England until 1833.
*There were numerous slave rebellions on Jamaica. They continued until 1813.
*Are we to believe that 12,000 valuable escaped slaves were allowed to just stand in line to board ships so they could be slaves somewhere else.....?
That was a significant factor in the War of 1812, however. The British successfully enticed a good number of Virginia slaves to run away and provide them with intelligence during that conflict.

As for slavery in England, my current understanding is that much earlier in history, slavery was abolished within England itself, to the tune of the saying, "A breath of English air makes a man free," and anyone who wished to keep his slaves had to be sure never to make landfall with them in England.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That was a significant factor in the War of 1812, however. The British successfully enticed a good number of Virginia slaves to run away and provide them with intelligence during that conflict.

As for slavery in England, my current understanding is that much earlier in history, slavery was abolished within England itself, to the tune of the saying, "A breath of English air makes a man free," and anyone who wished to keep his slaves had to be sure never to make landfall with them in England.

Nice of the Brits to free the dozen or so slaves in England, but maintain slavery in their empire, which is where it was predominant, anyway.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Talking 29% of Americans think Obama is Muslim . . .

Well, we've certainly had good participation from the 29% in this thread.

Keep up the good work!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:49 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And this is relevant to the conversation in what way?

Let me get this straight. You believe he's a Muslim--even though other Muslims say he can't be a Muslim, or if he was he was a very bad Muslim--and then you counter with well, he's just a BAD Muslim, but that doesn't mean he isn't one? Yeah, OK.

So tell me again why you are so convinced that our pork-eating, non-Ramadan observing, non-five-times-a-day-praying, beardless President is REALLY Muslim? Because call me crazy, but I'm not seeing the evidence, and your belief just doesn't match up with what we all can see.
Michelle, is that YOU??!?!?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:59 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think he is not spiritual at all. Nor a literal believer in any faith.

I do think he wants to go down in history as someone who validated and supported the belief that Islam and Christianity (and every other faith and philosophy in the world) can coexist on Earth. I think he sees Islam's violence and underdog status vis-a-vis the West as a result of Western policies which is why it seems he is leveraging his Western power to level the playing field believing this will make Islam more peaceable.

Personally I don't believe in that. Any religion that holds itself as the 'one, true path to God and available to every being on Earth', whether Christianity, Islam, or other, is going to be in an eternal adversative, and likely violent, struggle with every other religion or philosophical worldview. The only thing that has neutered the same violent and jealous impulses in Christian nations has been secularism and a decline in literal belief in scripture.

If you want Islam to be peaceful, you need to take the fundamentalism out of the rule of Islamic nations.
This is what I think. I think that like many Americans today, the Obamas are not especially religious. They go yo church on holidays. And probably more than usual because he is President.

Do I think that's hypocritical? No. Many people from a Christian background select a church to attend that will build connections for the sake of appearances.

There is nothing in the Constitution that says that the President has to be a Christian - or have any religion at all.

In 50 years this won't be an issue.

There is nothing at all to suggest that he was ever raised as a Muslim. He drinks and used to smoke - or maybe he still does. That is not permitted in Islam.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 PM

755 posts, read 674,985 times
What's funny about this thread is, you can very easily distinguished the intelligent from the non-intelligent.

Soooooo many group think people who repeat right wing talking points it is ridiculous; and when someone smacks em in the face with facts, they continue to ignore.

If something doesn't fit in their belief system, just ignore it instead of accommodate it and adjust their views accordingly and admit they were wrong......but nah, then they couldn't reinforce their own stupidity.

Last edited by jmac1; 09-16-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 09:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
We live in a society where its frowned on to be an overt racist.... It is however accepted to be a covert racist. You can make up all sorts of bs to dehumanize a race of people you just don't like. That's the issue here . The president is a black man who is intelligent and liberal. Racists can't stand the fact that they couldn't beat this guy TWICE. They feel the grip on white supremacy starting to slip and its scary for them. Nobody wants to see their power wane. Think aparthied south Africa.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
. . . and they're all voting for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies