Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 12:23 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That depends on whether or not the folks use common sense with their GUNS. Wayyyyyyy too many don't.
Folks have a perfect right to own a gun. From a statistical standpoint does it make you safer?
That doesn't necessarily seem to be the case. When you factor in accidental shootings etc, quite a few studies indicate that overall gun owners are MORE likely to be shot than non-gunowners. Other studies of course say the opposite.

The idea though that simply having a gun means you don't need the police - and that the police don't protect anyone - is just plain stupid.

Ken

Of course there are folks who don't use common sense with their guns. However; I'm not one of those people. I grew up with them in my house. My step dad had one behind his bedroom door, as well as my step brother. They both had several rifles. I was taught early on that they're not toys, and assumed that they were loaded. Even if they weren't. I was also taught to stay out of other people's things! Something about not wanting get my a** spanked if I touched something that didn't belong to me. Growing up there were no accidents from myself, or my friends. Why? Because their parents had guns too. Now mind you, we lived in the heart of suburbia, so it wasn't like we were out in sticks. Though we didn't have to get too far to get their either. I think it is lack of training, proper awareness, and quite frankly lack of parenting that causes said accidents.

To your last comment, when seconds count the police are minutes away. A lot can happen at that time, and it's better to have that option, and not need it, then need it, and be totally screwed.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
The Somali police force essentially ceased to exist during the 1990's civil war. The country is in the process of trying to re-build it but they've got a longgggg way to go. Much of the country is STILL lawless.

Ken
They have 50,000 TODAY. Protecting people?

Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
" Why are so many people dying at the hands of killers if the police can protect you?"
Because the police can't protect EVERYONE ALL THE TIME.
That doesn't mean they don't protect ANYONE?
I swear, wingnuts appear to have no common sense whatsoever.

Ken
Hence I will protect myself.

Thanks for validating my argument.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
So tell me again how police don't protect you from criminals?

Ken
I never said they didn't. I appreciate LE and their efforts to arrest violent criminals. I just don't rely on them to stop a home intruder.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I work with cops. Carrying an unlicensed gun is a year in jail in most states. B&E is also a serious crime. .
WTF???????????????? You don't need a license to own a gun. You need to work with cops who will tell you the truth.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:36 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I know I'm bringing up television silliness, but nevertheless, I was watching Fear The Walking Dead last night when this topic came to mind.

One character was teaching another one's son how to use a shotgun following a Zombie attack on the father. The father comes in and has a fit while saying, "I don't believe in guns. Guns are never the answer." right after a gun was used to stop a Zombie that was about to kill him. It made me laugh when I remembered some postings that essentially said they wouldn't want a gun even when an intruder was in their home.
I think it's funny that when an atheist who doesn't own guns gets his/her house broken into, the first thing they do is pray (to God) for a cop with a gun... That's just ironic

Old 09-15-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The idea though that simply having a gun means you don't need the police - and that the police don't protect anyone - is just plain stupid.

Ken
I have no idea who said that.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Duh! The mere fact of owning a car makes you more likely to die in a car accident too. It's pretty simple logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Time to ban cars.
It does and it has quite a bit of rules of regulations to govern owning and operating a motor vehicle.... Which can cause death to not only oneself but a large number of people in some instances.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
What is more likely to happen in my case never does
Bek there are guns I am alive

Old 09-15-2015, 06:11 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:

Ken

Did anyone say that they don't need police because they have a gun?
You must have heard the old cliche':
"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies