Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I also think that the police have to wear too many hats these days. A better system of mental healthcare would take lots of pressure off police departments when it comes to dealing with the mentally ill. Issues with drug abuse and the homeless could be better handled with more social services and better drug legislation. I also think police departments should divide the force into two sections. One that deals only with small non-threatening issues such as neighbor disputes and the other with crime. I have noticed that many police officers find it hard adjusting from one to another. Imagine going from a murder scene to then having to break up a teenage house party. It would be hard to mentally shift gears from one to the other.
Good points and ideas. Police definitely have to wear too many hats, and are forced to "protect people from themselves" when time could be spent much more effectively targeting actual violent criminals.

There is a brotherhood born from the madness, and Cops stick together. I have seen it myself with my good friend and College roommate since he joined the NYPD 4-5 years ago. I sympathize with them on many levels, but our legal and justice system is so predatory and destructive that it becomes hard for many people to even respect or like any Cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Yeah there are some "bad" cops but every single profession has a few rotten apples. Doctors, lawyers, scientist, etc. Oddly people don't deride the entire field of medicine whenever a doctor does something unethical. Because that would be ridiculous. To attack the entire field of law enforcement because of some bad apples is just idiocy at its finest.
Yes doctors have been slammed for not doing more to get rid of the bad ones and condemned for covering for them.

When they have complained about the cost of malpractice insurance its been pointed out that much of that is their own damned fault.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I blame police officers.
Well, in one sense I do. However, I happen to believe that it's the "institution" that is bent on Protecting the "Bad Apples" within their ranks that continuously blame the victims of police abuse or just make lame excuses for horrific behaviour towards citizens they deem unworthy of respect of any sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. Most police officers are good, dedicated men. But those who are not good and dedicated have set a standard that hurts their own reputation.
Yes, and the good ones are muzzled and forced to stay silent for fear of reprisals. I do not happen to appreciate how the union heads talks about their "Wrong doing " Union member...and go right into media shaming, victim shaming ..all the while member gets paid for waiting out the (LOL) self Investigations..tho there is some changes in some States..which is promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I would have never stop service to a cop, just because when you leave he give you a ticket, but I myself have never met a honest cop. Im talking about those i have met. My college room mate was a sherrif deputy and he was dirty has hell just like his running mates. But i do believe if you behave your self you will never have a run in with a cop except maybe a speeding ticket and then its yes sir, no sir. I dont give a cop a reason.

when i was 16, getting my driver license at the trooper station, I had a trooper pull a gun on me, because my paperwork was screwed up. Im 16 what harm can i do a cop with wrong paperwork. so i truly feel, they are trained to be dirty at the academy. always in control of the situation and if anything is not by the book, they shoot you
Your experience right there would have left a real bitter taste in you psyche and no doubt you have had a rather distrust of any cop after that. Then Police Officer's wonder why you have an attitude. Bad attitudes towards police is a learned emotion thru experience..and gut feeling come out when those buttons had been pushed..Folks who have this attitude usually wait until they hear "That Tone" then they know what's about to come next....It's not what is said..It's How it is said"..IMO Body Language, facial expressions, tone and so on set the stage for conflict long before it actually gets started...

I'm speaking to non-violent situations, un-armed, misdemeanour type transgressions, that ESCALATE into horrible over use of force. I could make a list of such examples..but I'm sure you get my drift.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i myself would put the rate of dirty cops at 80% of the force, the last twenty will become dirty at some point of their career, its all about power and ego. they will do anything to maintain it. But that just my opinion, which doesnt matter here.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:02 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
I think the police are in a bad position because of all the unjust laws and regulations they have to enforce, but they're ultimately responsible for it. "Just doing my job" is no excuse.

Also, the point about it being a brotherhood is very true. I have friends in law enforcement and the military and they're always on Facebook talking about defending their own, standing up to anyone who disrespects them, etc.

Interesting to at least point out...look at the characteristics of a gang/mafia/cartel and compare it to the police. They defend their fellow members, they claim a territory, they enforce the will of their leaders, they take pride in their colors/flag/badge/symbol/gang sign...I'm sure there are others I'm missing. It's just that whole mentality that can be dangerous. Instead of acting as individuals who are responsible for their actions, they'll do bad things or defend bad behavior in order to stand with their team. That, or they just do as they're told and disregard their own conscience.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:32 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I think the police are in a bad position because of all the unjust laws and regulations they have to enforce, but they're ultimately responsible for it. "Just doing my job" is no excuse.
No, unjust laws are the responsibility of those that vote and pass them. Namely elected officials. Its also a dangerous precedent to have police take it upon themselves to interpret what laws they deem just and which they don't. If we going to have it your way we might as well scrap our whole government and install martial order. Sorry but your point is absolutely asinine.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:37 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
No, unjust laws are the responsibility of those that vote and pass them. Namely elected officials. Its also a dangerous precedent to have police take it upon themselves to interpret what laws they deem just and which they don't. If we going to have it your way we might as well scrap our whole government and install martial order. Sorry but your point is absolutely asinine.
I'm against having a state in the first place, otherwise I might agree. In any case, nobody - police, military, politician, private citizen, etc - can use "just following orders" as an excuse to do immoral things. The Nuremberg trials are an example of that...Hitler may have ordered all the law enforcement and military to carry out evil plans, but they ultimately made the choice to abandon their own morals and do it anyway. That's fully on them.

Last edited by T0103E; 09-22-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:58 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
I also think that the police have to wear too many hats these days. A better system of mental healthcare would take lots of pressure off police departments when it comes to dealing with the mentally ill. Issues with drug abuse and the homeless could be better handled with more social services and better drug legislation. I also think police departments should divide the force into two sections. One that deals only with small non-threatening issues such as neighbor disputes and the other with crime. I have noticed that many police officers find it hard adjusting from one to another. Imagine going from a murder scene to then having to break up a teenage house party. It would be hard to mentally shift gears from one to the other.
I think you are really onto something here. I think they could be split into even more groups than that.

One main issue is that police have been shifted from people who are helpful to people who are expected to generate revenue in the form of tickets, arrests and the like. The biggest part of the problem is that people are worth more money when they are arrested and imprisoned than they are when they aren't in trouble. In short there is far too much money to be made on "criminals" this has led to a situation with an obvious problem, the symptom of which being the worlds largest prison population, the worlds largest population of people on probation and a legal system that has essentially become a fortune 500 company. The mega money involved in crime and justice has made it corrupt, removing all incentive to stop crime because they're too busy harvesting so called criminals like a crop. That being said I think police action is being implemented where other means of action would be more appropriate.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
They have only themselves to blame. The absolute revulsion people feel when they see a cop is the result of actions cops alone have taken. For example:

Shooting Victim Demands Justice Ahead Of NYPD Officer’s Guilty Plea « CBS New York

Cop gets 'blackout drunk', in his own words, and shoots a guy 6 times. That guy's arm was destroyed and he is lucky to be alive. He eventually went home to his child. And the cop? 17 months of paid leave. And you people wonder why cops are 'disrespected?!!? How do you think the victims of their actions feel? Smdh.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
They have only themselves to blame. The absolute revulsion people feel when they see a cop is the result of actions cops alone have taken. For example:

Shooting Victim Demands Justice Ahead Of NYPD Officer’s Guilty Plea « CBS New York

Cop gets 'blackout drunk', in his own words, and shoots a guy 6 times. That guy's arm was destroyed and he is lucky to be alive. He eventually went home to his child. And the cop? 17 months of paid leave. And you people wonder why cops are 'disrespected?!!? How do you think the victims of their actions feel? Smdh.
The fact that cops can literally get away with murder is ludicrous. There is "justice" for everyone but police and it absolutely has to stop because people are gradually losing all trust in all police. When you have to fear for your life everytime police stop you it becomes impossible to trust or give true respect to any officer whether they are one of the good ones or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies