Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 04:05 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Trump said he would surround himself with the best.
For reference, GWB and Obama said the exact same thing before the election and inauguration. It's easy to say stuff.

Mick

Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
The one thing Fiorina said that I liked a lot was about putting a woman on a paper bill. All of those other guys, pandering "Rosa Parks". Please. That's the BEST woman you can come up with???? Out of our entire history??? There a droves of other men who have done far greater things who we could put on a bill. It's laughable also, that there are so few women who have done great things, that at least two answers were women who weren't even Americans!
Well, CNN moderator caught them off guard with that question, though the same question has been asked everywhere in the media. They had no idea who to pick so they picked the obvious ones, Susan B. Anthony and Rosa Parks. It was a total bonehead move to pick Margaret Thatcher and Mother Teresa, accompanied by a statement, "it's probably not legal but . . ." Duh. And of course, all the "my mom" or "my wife" answers. Please.

While Rosa Parks' actual contribution to the Civil Rights movement has been questioned, I think Susan B. Anthony and her would both be finalists when Jack Lew puts a woman on the bill. Who else is more deserving in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Another thing that killed me was when Jeb said about his bro, "He kept us safe." and the audience clapped. I so wanted Trump to say something like Ventura did to that statement on Hannity's show :except for that whole 9/11 thing. Kept us safe? The worst terrorist attack in our history happened on his watch!
I couldn't believe that Mr. Trump, the other candidates or the moderators didn't point out this outrageous gaffe. Wow.

Mick

Old 09-18-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What abilities? There is nothing in his resume to indicate he can actually do anything. He's just a good talker who knows a lot.
Well, there you go. That's better than 70% of the field. And then there is that thing about serving in the U.S. Senate and Florida legislature. I bet that is more useful than being a pediatric neurosurgeon, failed CEO or real estate tycoon.

Mick

Old 09-18-2015, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
7 years with Obama, you can no longer blame Bush. I think Bush was terrible, but you can't blame Bush for the current state of wealth inequality.
Well, to be fair, Bush didn't leave us with a recession. He left us "Great Recession" which was literally steps away from Great Depression II. Don't you remember 100-year old highly respected companies like Lehman Bros. and Merrill Lynch literally failing overnight? A year before, no one (and I mean no one) would have believed that could possibly happen. If the Feds didn't plop them up, I don't know how many banks, insurance companies, car companies, etc. would have failed. I have never seen anything like it.

Quote:
We need to ELIMINATE capital gains tax and teach students how to start building a retirement plan starting in high school. You don't need millions, or thousands, you can start with $100 here and there.
This would unfairly benefit the rich, and won't help the middle class. And greatly reduce our tax revenue - how would you offset it with more taxes or less spending? For most Joe Blows, capital gains tax is irrelevant in that they mostly invest in stocks and mutual funds inside their 401(k) retirement accounts or IRA. As such, capital gains are shielded from taxes until they take distributions upon retirement, at which point the withdrawals are taxed at ordinary income rate.

By capping the capital gains rate at a low 15/20%, as compared to the ordinary income rate at the applicable marginal rate, there is plenty of financial incentive for people to invest in equities already.

Mick

P.S. I used to own a 335i xDrive, too - a great car!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
George W. Bush inherited a growing economy, a budget surplus, and a nation at peace.
Bush inherited the dotcom bubble burst. There was no surplus; the national debt increased each year under Clinton. And Clinton both ordered military action against Iraq and signed the Iraq Liberation Act in 1998.

Quote:
"What did liberals do that was so offensive to the conservatives?
Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans
the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted
millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation.
Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act.
Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act,
the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them
on every one of those things. So when you try to hurl that label
at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of,
something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work,
because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge
of honor." -Lawrence O'Donnell Jr.
A higher percentage of Rs voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act than Ds.

You need to review your history. You seem to be missing a lot of info.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:18 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And when he was president, the Republicans did everything they could to harass him and block anything he wanted to change. One of them even said that no bill of Obama's was going to pass if he could help it, and it didn't matter to them whether it helped people or not.
Isn't that why the people elected Republicans twice? In order to stop Obama's agenda? (I think GOP has been pretty soft on trying to stop Obama, but that's a whole different subject).

Old 09-18-2015, 05:23 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Well, there you go. That's better than 70% of the field. And then there is that thing about serving in the U.S. Senate and Florida legislature. I bet that is more useful than being a pediatric neurosurgeon, failed CEO or real estate tycoon.

Mick
No two of those people can point to their accomplishments. You know, accomplishments are the outcomes of actions. Name Rubio's accomplishments anytime at all in his life. He's no different than Clinton in that regard. Actions aren't accomplishments. Just being in the Senate and Florida legislature is not an accomplishment. Tell me something he did in his job that resulted in some outcome he can point to with pride. I'm sure if there was something he'd be talking about it instead of making Obama-like speeches about what he knows rather than what he's done. There's nothing in his resume or in his ads that proves he's capable of implementing any of his foreign policy positions because as far as I can tell, he's never implemented anything in his careers. It's not what you know, it's what you've done.

The pediatric neurosurgeon can point to the outcomes of using his skills and the big decisions he had to make. Those outcomes are healthy living human beings that were formerly in some bad shape and perhaps (because I don't know) a hospital division that ran better due to him overseeing it (perhaps one of his opponents will check that out or he will tell us). Those decision making skills followed by ACTION is what he would take to the presidency.

The real estate tycoon can point to the buildings all over the world that bear his name, the famous skating rink he saved that was over budget and overdue until he took it over and finished it, and the wealth he's accumulated as his accomplishments for the big decisions he made, the actions he took and his skills in deal-making. And, you might even look at coming back from bankruptcies as an accomplishment as in overcoming adversity. Also, useful for a president.

I can't tell you Fiorina's accomplishments because I don't know them but I'm thinking she had to have accomplishments to get the job offer at Hewlett Packard. And if she overcame her firing at Hewlett Packard and wound up in a better position after she was fired then she has accomplishments and can point to overcoming adversity. Unfortunately, I have no idea what she's been doing all of these years after leaving HP.

The governors all have accomplishments they can point to where something improved because of their actions including the governor who left the race. Some of them overcame crises. Every week of their lives they make big decisions and implement those decisions because like the doctors and the real estate tycoon, governors are do-ers. They deliberately chose a career path of a do-er.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:30 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
That's why we have 6-7 million more people in poverty since Obama?

Democrats have an interest in keeping people dependent on welfare and social programs because nearly all of them vote for Democrats. Why? Because they live off those programs, so as long as they stay poor, they will continue voting for the party that created and supports those programs.

A key flaw in this overly promoted theory is that MOST POOR PEOPLE DON'T VOTE!!!

About 20% of them did in the 2010 election vs 69% of "most financially secure."

The Politics of Financial Insecurity | Pew Research Center

Also, MANY people on so-called "entitlements," which most include SS retirement in that group or they should if they include SS disability because we pay into both programs, vote Republican.

And let's not overlook the REAL elephant in the room that absolutely no politician will ever talk about- financially "well off" seniors legally hiding their assets for free health care. THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM driving up entitlement costs- seniors doing "Medicaid planning" (AKA "Spend down to Medicaid") who put their funds in a trust or give to kids so the state (ie, all of us tax payers) can pay for these millionaires long term care.

TAXPAYERS ARE LITERALLY SUBSIDIZING "TRUST FUND KIDS!!" And with the aging population, it is going to get much worse.

This can mean paying well over 100k per year for a year in a nursing home X's however many years they are alive. We're talking megabucks here!! Just one set of elderly parents needing 5 years of long term care means the state paying out over 1 MILLION DOLLARS IN HOUSING ALONE!!! You could easily DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THIS FIGURE for the elderly couple depending on what surgeries, meds, and other treatments they need.

Yet most people get caught up in the poor and illegals using the ER for primary care which is practically pennies by comparison. Especially with our aging population.

To take it even a step further, Christie has the right idea with those who do not financially need SS retirement electing not to take it. Makes sense to me. We all pay into SS disability yet few "benefit" from it. Why should SS retirement be any different? It should just be there if you NEED it.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:37 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont you could have created a posting based upon more nonsense and lies if someone paid you to do so, which of course we all know you arent being paid, since you are so proud of the welfare you receive.
???

That was a 100% factual post. Did you even attempt to fact check it?

And "Obamacare" is not "welfare." You don't even know what plan he has, only that he can afford it now. So by that logic, everyone who can afford their health insurance is on welfare? ?

Old 09-18-2015, 05:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Not one.
Wrong.

Rand Paul and Chris Christie did.

And here's a little clue for you to consider: The debate moderators ask the questions and choose the subjects to be discussed.

Quote:
Over 47 million people are living in poverty in this country.
Complain to your hero Obama.

He and the Democrats were going to solve that problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies