Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 05:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Just me opinion of who were the winners and losers: remember, for most of us, our personal favorites are going to influence our ideas:

Winner as of right now: Carly for sure; she was precise, has done her homework in most cases, no one will ever not make a mistake: and seems to be in complete control: a leader in my book.

Rubio: He is a young man with good ideas, articulate and conservative enough without being totally over the top. I think he showed that Wednesday night. I admire him for not trying to slap all the other candidates around, but rather is telling us what he would do if elected.

Bush: he is not my favorite, but I think he did better than the first round.

Losers: Trump, he still just keeps telling us what a great group he will put together: isnt' that what most of the candidates plan on doing. He thinks, just by reminding us how rich he is, he can control the world. He never mentions much of his money was inherited. He is a blow hard, that thinks the way to win is to put others down.

Paul: I had hopes when he entered the race. Though I don't like all of his ideas I still thought he might be the answer: I have changed my mind. He is exactly like his dad and has too many nutty ideas in my mind.

Walker: A guy that has done a lot and shown he can win in his state, but I just can't see him as our leader. He needed to prove himself and I didn't think he did. His days are numbered.

The rest of the pack had good and bad moments: Nothing that wll go down as rememberable or game changing. I do think we are going to see Ben Carson start to slip.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:51 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
That's complete nonsense. Just because Republicans don't run out into the streets and start banging pots and pans about 'social justice' and 'poverty' doesn't mean they don't care.

And the Pope was rightly criticized for his repeated attacks on Capitalism. It had nothing to do with the poor.
So.... when politicians do it, that is NOT considered an "attack on Christianity?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You must be watching media sound-bites...

Christie brought it up, when he bashed the media for creating a schoolyard brawl on non-issues, over things that do not matter to the middle class and the impoverished.

I believe Walker mentioned the shrinking middle class.
Ted Cruz did too.
So... 3 sound bytes in 3 hours? Yeah, that's obviously right at the top of their agenda. They did more Clinton and Obama bashing, Reagan name dropping and planning all the wars they wanna get going ASAP.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:54 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Why are we talking about poverty like it's all Obama's fault? The Great Recession was responsible for dumping a whole lot of people in poverty, and that's a Bush legacy that started in 2008, before Obama even took office.
No, it was the Democrats who caused the Great Recession by forcing banks to make home loans to obvious deadbeats lest they be accused of "racism."

Obama was a lawyer for ACORN, which threatened to sue banks if they didn't make loans to people who couldn't pay them back.

Bush didn't do enough to stop the nonsense, but are you really going to try and suggest that cold-hearted capitalist Republicans wanted to help the poor?

Are you going to suggest that, when your side's whole schtick is that Republicans don't give a fig about the poor?

ROTFLMAO!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Places with low poverty rates like Scandinavia, Germany and Switzerland all have far stronger strong social safety nets than the US.
They're also full of hard-working, law-abiding, well-educated white people who don't need to worry about defending themselves because we do it for them.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

Also, MANY people on so-called "entitlements," which most include SS retirement in that group or they should if they include SS disability because we pay into both programs, vote Republican.
Most people LOSE money on SS now. That can hardly be considered an "entitlement."
Quote:
"As recently as 1985, workers at every income level could retire and expect to get more in benefits than they paid in Social Security taxes, though they didn't do quite as well as their parents and grandparents.

Not anymore.

A married couple retiring last year after both spouses earned average lifetime wages paid about $598,000 in Social Security taxes during their careers. They can expect to collect about $556,000 in benefits, if the man lives to 82 and the woman lives to 85, according to a 2011 study by the Urban Institute, a Washington think tank.

Social Security benefits are progressive, so most low-income workers retiring today still will get slightly more in benefits than they paid in taxes. Most high-income workers started getting less in benefits than they paid in taxes in the 1990s, according to data from the Social Security Administration."
Social Security is a LOSING deal for most workers - AP

Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Democrats may not be perfect but Republicans are insane.
George W. Bush put this country in the largest debt it had
ever seen.
Wrong.

When Bush left office, the national debt was $9 trillion.

Obama has already DOUBLED it to $18 trillion.

Quote:
Every time there is a Republican in office they
want to go to war and spend our money on war all at the
expense of our young people.
How odd.

I guess the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ended when Obama took office.

Oh wait, they didn't.

Then Obama started a new war in Libya -- which is now a bigger mess than it was before he invaded.

Quote:
Then when they come back
from war they won't support these veterans.
Obama hasn't supported the veterans either, in case you haven't noticed.

Just google "VA scandal."

Quote:
They support
not giving a mother the right to choose
But the Democrats support Planned Parenthood's illegally harvesting and selling of organs from aborted fetuses.

Charming.

Quote:
President Obama inherited
this massive debt from George W. Bush
And then doubled that debt from $9 trillion to $18 trillion.

Quote:
How many ways can you show that the
Republicans have helped the poor ?
How have the Democrats helped them?

Oh, by spending OTHER people's money.

How noble of them.

And the poverty rate has gotten worse.

Democrats also defend massive legal and illegal immigration even when we don't have enough jobs for Americans.

And they refuse to allow poor parents to choose their children's schools, but send their own kids to fancy private schools.

Great going, Democrats.

You really "care" about poor Americans and American workers -- NOT!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:16 AM

37,187 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
My opinion....

Winners
  • Donald Trump - This spectacle established that he is the front runner. Like FOX, CNN's hit job failed to hit the target. All the other candidates and MSM recognize this now. All the silly predictions that he would fall out by now or wasn't serious are just memories. By all accounts, at this point in time, he will be the GOP nominee.
Losers
  • JEB - Failed to knock it out of the ballpark which is what he needed at this point. Furthermore he cooked his own goose when he was forced to say his brother did a good job. He will be running on his brother's record as long as he stays in the race. And standing on his tip-toes during the kumbaya moment photo op speaks of TIB (typical idjit behavior) common with the Bush family
  • Florina - Came off as the Wicked Witch of the West. All that was missing was the flying monkeys. Then again, why are we talking about her?
  • Carson - Who? Needs to get over that germ thing. This is the only thing that people will remember about him and this debate.
  • Rand Paul - Like Father, Like Son. Says a lot of good things, but never delivers.
  • Rest of GOP - Doesn't matter.
  • CNN - Only proved they are not credible at anything these days.
  • King Hillary Clinton - Every GOP debate keeps her from making any point beyond server gate.
Bernie Sanders was the big winner of the republican "debate", and is looking forward to their next one to give him another bump. He receiver 1.2 million dollars in contributions after the debate. Look for him on the cover of Time this week.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I like the Australian system....
The reason many countries can afford their safety nets is simple. They don't spend close to a trillion dollars on their military....
They don't jail their non-violent criminal citizens. At least not like we do.
I pay $5 for a pack of cigarettes here.

I understand that a pack costs at least five times that much in Australia.

I hate to think what a drink costs.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:23 AM

37,187 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Trump continues to lead in the numbers, of course, but this was the first time I saw him looking vulnerable and defensive. Relatively flat performance to his past bombastic attacks. This was actually the first time he was on the defensive. It was pretty flat. Fiorina got the biggest reactions in the room and online.

See here... Google trends in the first and last debate. Look at Fiorina vs. Trump.

Trump better improve going forward or people will start to close the gap. He can start by not sticking his foot in his mouth with stupid sexist, racist insults that give his opponents ammo against him and instead gaining some real substance to his policy proposals.

Trump's MO of insulting everyone and everything is wearing thin. He had nothing to say of any substance and sat on his tongue when the subject of foreign policy rolled around. He also is not putting any campaign infrastructure in place to handle a run if he is eventually picked, which is quite an oddity.

I still say he will drop out of the marathon at mile 23 and leave the rest of the field scrambling. He will, however, have a very real impact on who the candidate actually will be

Old 09-18-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Christie is trying to up his poll numbers. It's all for show. He's just another bought and paid for politician who says all the right things to get elected, and then does nothing or the opposite once he gets in. Same with Walker.

Cruz is too bizarre to relate to a large block of the population although his heart is in the right place.
Non-sequitur.

OP said no one addressed poverty, but they did.

Try to stick to the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies