Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 28 days ago)

34,605 posts, read 16,662,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
If he would have put his hands behind his back none of this would have happened. I know everyone will complain about the cops but nowadays everyone resists.
My children are 19 and 18. One of the things I taught them was to listen respectfully to police and obey their instructions.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:29 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,884,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's difficult to exact retribution when you're dead.

Of course, I'm not talking about this particular incident. But over and over again we see video of cops beating and killing people who have resisted arrest. And over and over again, people come to the defense of these police officers. It is simply amazing.
Michael Brown in Ferguson was a thug, and the fact that ended up in him being shot in the end were shown to be completely justified by all investigators, INCLUDING the federal ones. Darren Wilson, the cop, was acted in exactly the way he should have acted. So, should Wilson be castigated? Brown was a thug, and he is dead through his very bad choices.

Oh, and what drew Brown to Wilson's attention. Guess what? Jaywalking, after robbing the store. A scofflaw in other words.

Quote:
Our country was founded by people who were disrespectful of authority. Those same people made sure that our Constitution protected our right to be disrespectful. That's what freedom of speech is. The RIGHT to say things that **** other people off.

But have a government official come along in a uniform and all of a sudden we're all supposed to fall down at their feet, kiss their boots and say, "Here are my First and Fourth Amendment rights. I don't really need them."
The USA was also found on a system of laws. Police enforce them, and the courts judge if that enforcement was legal. Otherwise you have anarchy.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:32 AM

865 posts, read 620,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I watched the video.

The billy club was unneeded in the situation...unless the cop is a sissy.

Let's see, hitting a kid in the face with a billy club "prevents further injury". Except then they had to throw him on the ground. So you're wrong.

And as a police officer, you don't know how to handle a kid.
In case you weren't aware, it seems that it's open season on COPs.

You're going to see this more & more going forward. WTF do you expect them to do? Please the PC crowd or make their wife/husband a widow?

Old 09-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 28 days ago)

34,605 posts, read 16,662,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Michael Brown in Ferguson was a thug, and the fact that ended up in him being shot in the end were shown to be completely justified by all investigators, INCLUDING the federal ones. Darren Wilson, the cop, was acted in exactly the way he should have acted. So, should Wilson be castigated? Brown was a thug, and he is dead through his very bad choices.
I wonder who is paying for all of these "investigations"? If we inculcated in our youth the pragmatic duty to obey the forces of the law we wouldn't have dead or beaten teens or millions of wasted dollars.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,637,660 times
[quote=2mares;41280870]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes I do think.
All we see is what happened after the situation escalated.
In any event we know the kid violated the law, we know the kid cursed the officer we know the kid resisted. He could have been in danger or presented a threat.
Seriously, I cant believe this is some innocent teen who was just running to catch his bus and grabbed by the police for no reason.

Ok just stop. Do not argue with the police. There is no reason to argue with the police. They aren't out to get you. If you feel your rights have been violated there is procedure. Hopefully you wont have the same attitude while standing before the judge because if you tell him/her to F.O. and grab their gavel well that wont end well either.
No, I am not going to stop. What do you mean there is no reason to argue with police? Just because someone is a police officer does not mean they are right all the time, or that they're obeying the law all the time. And NO ONE should have to be fearful of arguing with an officer. The Supreme Court has ruled numerous time that we have a First Amendment right to free speech which includes disagreeing with a police officer.

And as far as saying they aren't out to get me, you're probably right. I'm a middle-aged white woman. But if you don't believe that young black and brown men are harassed by police when they aren't doing anything wrong, you haven't been reading the news for the past 100 years.

Last edited by Marlow; 09-21-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 11:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,085,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
Ahh the ol ignore the jaywalking offense that leads to accidents each year because its not a serious crime.
Its not harrassing when the person is committing an offense. I love when a nonserious offense is committed by someone and when the police are invvoled it suddenly become harrassing
Its selective enforcement.

Is an officer going to pull over every person they see jaywalking? If so then why not?

Old 09-21-2015, 11:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,637,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Oh, and what drew Brown to Wilson's attention. Guess what? Jaywalking, after robbing the store. A scofflaw in other words.

The USA was also found on a system of laws. Police enforce them, and the courts judge if that enforcement was legal. Otherwise you have anarchy.
The other end of anarchy is a police state. And that's where we're headed if people have no qualms with police stopping people for no reason, getting them riled up and then beating or killing them when they resist arrest. OR, arresting someone for a legitimate reason and then beating or killing them for being "disrespectful."

You would have been on the side of the British during the American revolution.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:47 AM

50,357 posts, read 23,944,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
In case you weren't aware, it seems that it's open season on COPs.

You're going to see this more & more going forward. WTF do you expect them to do? Please the PC crowd or make their wife/husband a widow?
National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Preliminary 2015 Fatality Statistics

Data thus far for 2015, and it looks as if the single biggest increase in police officer deaths is road accidents, while murder of police by guns in down substantially.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:51 AM

5,851 posts, read 3,272,894 times
Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund: Preliminary 2015 Fatality Statistics

Data thus far for 2015, and it looks as if the single biggest increase in police officer deaths is road accidents, while murder of police by guns in down substantially.
How many principals are getting killed annually in the United States? What are the stats on that? That's right. Being a cop is a little different don't you think? Easy to criticize from behind your computer when you have never done what these guys do!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,435,834 times

Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies