Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 02:00 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
And police departments need to train officers to not react with violence toward mouthy kids.
And parents need to take responsibility in teaching kids not to be mouthy.

The cop's use of force was not because of a mouthy kid, but the kid resisted arrest. Let's keep it truthful

Old 09-21-2015, 02:04 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Nah, you don't need that many cops for one kid. They should have been happy he was catching the bus to school. Instead of putting him the system, which would lead to a life of REAL crime in the future.
You dont know he was catching the bus to school. He was not put in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. One cop could have held him, turned him around, and a second cop could have cuffed him.

Or, are you saying that if backup had not arrived, the officer would not have been able to handle the situation?
As it is the officer is getting criticized for trying to get the kid under restraint. The officer is trying not to use any more force. I'm sure the officer could have handled it but as the kid was fighting and grabbing his club probably not with out using force and being judged by the crowd. Could you have handled the situation better. I know Im just an old lady but when is the last time you wrestled with a 16 year old boy? My gson just turned 13 and he can pin me, well he has been able to do it for a time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
He's a kid that didn't know any better. He probably was more worried about missing his school bus and having a way to school.
You don't know he was missing his school bus. Not knowing any better, is that why he told the cop to F off. If it were one of mine and they did something they were unaware of that was illegal they would say sorry, I didn't know then comply not say F off.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You dont know he was catching the bus to school. He was not put in the system.

As it is the officer is getting criticized for trying to get the kid under restraint. The officer is trying not to use any more force. I'm sure the officer could have handled it but as the kid was fighting and grabbing his club probably not with out using force and being judged by the crowd. Could you have handled the situation better. I know Im just an old lady but when is the last time you wrestled with a 16 year old boy? My gson just turned 13 and he can pin me, well he has been able to do it for a time now.

You don't know he was missing his school bus. Not knowing any better, is that why he told the cop to F off. If it were one of mine and they did something they were unaware of that was illegal they would say sorry, I didn't know then comply not say F off.

The Washingt Post article states he was trying to catch the bus to school:

Calif. police officer scuffles with 16-year-old over walking in the bus lane - The Washington Post

"Emilio Mayfield was downtown trying to catch a bus to his high school on Tuesday morning when he wandered into the bus lane."
A little basic research is very easy to do with the internet these days.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:07 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Police Officer did his job. Police Officer acted within department guidelines. All you cop haters can continue whining!!!! It will get you nowhere!!
And are you making any progress here on this thread convincing those whose views are different that yours? I don't those converts, either.

And, the vast majority of us are not COP HATERS. We are simply demanding a higher standard of performance for ALL COPS, that matches the high standard of performance of MOST COPS.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:08 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And parents need to take responsibility in teaching kids not to be mouthy.

The cop's use of force was not because of a mouthy kid, but the kid resisted arrest. Let's keep it truthful
Yes. Parents should teach their children to behave.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the First Amendment protects speech. Even mouthy, disruptive, unpleasant, rude, obnoxious, annoying, disrespectful, hateful, insulting, sarcastic speech.

Let's be honest. He pissed off the cop by being mouthy. The cop responded by calling in nine of his brothers and then arresting the kid for resisting arrest.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:08 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
If that kid gets hit his lovin mama will be suing that cop for not doing his job. Cops cant win!!

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the profession.
That should be true for all professions.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Police Officer did his job. Police Officer acted within department guidelines. All you cop haters can continue whining!!!! It will get you nowhere!!
I'm not a cop hater by any means. But I have undying respect for our Constitution and its Bill of Rights.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:12 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
I'm talking in a manner to show common sense. I don't go around saying some offenses should be ignored just because there is no immediate danger.

Though it is funny you think I am talking in a manner to appear intelligence and superior.
If he knew how to cross the street then he should have done it especially in an Downtown Transit Center area which would have quite a bit of traffic.
So in reality you don't know exactly HOW he crossed the street. Since you didn't see it happen. And your ASSuming a 16 year old doesn't know how to properly cross the street.

That's absurd.

How about he didn't cross the street in the designated walking area? Or didn't wait on the crossing light?

Because I'm pretty sure every 16 year old can cross the street.

And to that point. Anybody who's ever lived in the city knows that everybody jaywalks. Which goes back to this law being selectively enforced.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes. Parents should teach their children to behave.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the First Amendment protects speech. Even mouthy, disruptive, unpleasant, rude, obnoxious, annoying, disrespectful, hateful, insulting, sarcastic speech.

Let's be honest. He pissed off the cop by being mouthy. The cop responded by calling in nine of his brothers and then arresting the kid for resisting arrest.
The call for assistance was made AFTER the kid resisted. You saw that, right?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:17 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
It doesn't change the fact he was at least standing 2 feet off the sidewalk. Where I am from a ticket for jaywalking averages $198

He stepped off one bus and was going to another bus. So there was traffic around. All he needed to do was do as he was told. He is 16 years old so he should have at least knew how to cross a street.
Based upon the video it looks like the cops were out of control. At one point the kid was just sitting there and then two cops came and attacked him.

Calif. police officer scuffles with 16-year-old over walking in the bus lane - The Washington Post

What is there reason for attacking him when he was just sitting there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies