Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 07:46 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
The Washingt Post article states he was trying to catch the bus to school:

Calif. police officer scuffles with 16-year-old over walking in the bus lane - The Washington Post

"Emilio Mayfield was downtown trying to catch a bus to his high school on Tuesday morning when he wandered into the bus lane."
A little basic research is very easy to do with the internet these days.
When I opened the thread I read the link in the OP which did not contain a lot of info. I googled for additional legit reports and this one above was not on the internet at that time or it did not come up in my search. The story was still being investigated and reports pending.

Interesting the article said the officer assigned to the bus stop asked him to use the crosswalk as he was walking in the bus lane, to which the kid replied "F U Im not stopping for you."

So those questioning why he would stop someone for just jaywalking, well that was his assigned duty, safety of the people at the crosswalk, specifically students going to school. Kind of like back in the day when the school had safety guards with those long poles and a stop flag on the end to keep kids from walking out into traffic at busy intersections.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
When I opened the thread I read the link in the OP which did not contain a lot of info. I googled for additional legit reports and this one above was not on the internet at that time or it did not come up in my search. The story was still being investigated and reports pending.

Interesting the article said the officer assigned to the bus stop asked him to use the crosswalk as he was walking in the bus lane, to which the kid replied "F U Im not stopping for you."

So those questioning why he would stop someone for just jaywalking, well that was his assigned duty, safety of the people at the crosswalk, specifically students going to school. Kind of like back in the day when the school had safety guards with those long poles and a stop flag on the end to keep kids from walking out into traffic at busy intersections.
Witnesses have disputed that too. They said the kid didn't mouth off until the cop grabbed him as he was about to step onto the bus.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,013,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Witnesses have disputed that too. They said the kid didn't mouth off until the cop grabbed him as he was about to step onto the bus.
Would this be the same witnesses that claimed he was just a baby? The story also say the 16 year old had just got off one bus and was walking in a bus only lane when the transit officer started talking to him.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Yea I posted a few post back how this is a transit officer assigned to this bus transfer center. Some are trying to act like he randomly stopped this teen for no reason and a few even tried to add his race into as if that was the reason. The story I read also said he got off one bus first before this happened which tells me he was using public transportation to get to school. It wasn't a teen standing on a corner waiting for a school bus.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
He didn't feel threatened, he felt ignored. That's much, much worse for a Hispanic cop......to be ignored by a.....black teen.

Had this azzclown been ignored by white Anglo-Saxon 40 year old wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase, he'd have never raised a lip a the guy.

With decades of experience with racial disparity.....we surely know this by now, don't we?
My husband and I were talking about this last night and remembering once when he got a ticket for parking in the fire lane at the grocery store. He was waiting for me to come outside and was illegally parked. A female officer came up and wrote him a ticket. About that time I came outside. He was very aggravated and irate, saying we were leaving. The officer was adamant about giving him a ticket and frankly, a *****. They had an unpleasant verbal exchange which ended with her writing the ticket.

But she didn't feel the need to tell him to get out of the car so that she could show him who was boss, or to otherwise escalate the situation. I can only wonder what the outcome would have been if he'd been a black or brown kid mouthing off.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:42 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
Would this be the same witnesses that claimed he was just a baby? The story also say the 16 year old had just got off one bus and was walking in a bus only lane when the transit officer started talking to him.
No, it's probably another witness having a problem with a cop assigned to oversee safety in a bus zone who then ratchet's up a benign encounter so as to result in an attack upon a black kid whose safety he was supposed to be concerned about.

I'm so concerned for this kid's safety that I'll holler at him to get up on the curb and when he ignores me I'll get right on his case, grab his arm to spin him around and when he resists that, as I know any person other than a black teen (who is clearly beneath me on the socio-economic scale) would, I'll then have the excuse to pull the nightstick and go all official on his sorry azz.

That should make it clear to all and sundry that I take the safety and well being of even black teens very seriously indeed.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
No, it's probably another witness having a problem with a cop assigned to oversee safety in a bus zone who then ratchet's up a benign encounter so as to result in an attack upon a black kid whose safety he was supposed to be concerned about.
Ahh yes its because he is black and not because he was walking in a bus only zone and the officer asking him to move out of that lane. Its not because when the officer tried to detain him the teen decided to remove said officer hand and keep walking.

Quote:
I'm so concerned for this kid's safety that I'll holler at him to get up on the curb and when he ignores me I'll get right on his case, grab his arm to spin him around and when he resists that, as I know any person other than a black teen (who is clearly beneath me on the socio-economic scale) would, I'll then have the excuse to pull the nightstick and go all official on his sorry azz.
Oh please spare me the poor black teen rhetoric. A simple solution was for this teen who is old enough to know you aren't suppose to walk in the street not walk in the street. A simple okay when the officer asked him to move out of the bus only lane would have been key. But hey the teen just didn't give a f***

Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My husband and I were talking about this last night and remembering once when he got a ticket for parking in the fire lane at the grocery store. He was waiting for me to come outside and was illegally parked. A female officer came up and wrote him a ticket. About that time I came outside. He was very aggravated and irate, saying we were leaving. The officer was adamant about giving him a ticket and frankly, a *****. They had an unpleasant verbal exchange which ended with her writing the ticket.

But she didn't feel the need to tell him to get out of the car so that she could show him who was boss, or to otherwise escalate the situation. I can only wonder what the outcome would have been if he'd been a black or brown kid mouthing off.
There are clearly times when all of us will be tested to remain calm and not push the hot buttons of other people when we've developed the skill-set necessary to determine their likely response given the clues they've given us in a very brief preliminary encounter.

Your husband will probably admit now that; regardless if he was sitting behind the wheel with the ability to move should a big red vehicle with EMERGENCY emblazoned across the front of it suddenly appear in his mirror, he should not have sat there virtually displaying a sign for one of the more authority entranced cops to be given license to bust his chops.

The upshot is; your assessment is probably quite correct that had he been a young black male who gave the cop lip, his car would probably still be in the pound lot or perhaps already auctioned off by now with cops having enjoyed a ski trip to Lake Tahoe on the proceeds.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
What would you like them to do? Let him go?
Yes they would. Same thing they said about Michael Brown. "Why did the cop get out of his car after the initial scuffle and gun shot. Brown was walking away, no need for the cop to get out and hassle him at that point.". Same thing they said about Tamir Rice. "He was walking away, the cops didn't need to intercept him like that.". Sorry folks, you don't get to commit a crime & then decide to simply go home & not be arrested.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
There are clearly times when all of us will be tested to remain calm and not push the hot buttons of other people when we've developed the skill-set necessary to determine their likely response given the clues they've given us in a very brief preliminary encounter.

Your husband will probably admit now that; regardless if he was sitting behind the wheel with the ability to move should a big red vehicle with EMERGENCY emblazoned across the front of it suddenly appear in his mirror, he should not have sat there virtually displaying a sign for one of the more authority entranced cops to be given license to bust his chops.

The upshot is; your assessment is probably quite correct that had he been a young black male who gave the cop lip, his car would probably still be in the pound lot or perhaps already auctioned off by now with cops having enjoyed a ski trip to Lake Tahoe on the proceeds.
Exactly. We both knew he was parked illegally, but let he who has never done that for a minute because it was convenient cast the first stone.

But the fact that the situation didn't escalate is either because the officer was experienced, well-trained and had a thick skin, or because we are middle-class white adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies