Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 02:23 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If it wasn't arbitrary you wouldn't have a lady in the background screaming about the injustice and so many people outraged.

No need to yell. The crazy lady cursing in the background calling the 16 yr. old a baby and saying he didn't do nothin' wrong has nothing to do with it being arbitrary or not.

arbitrary: depending on individual discretion and not fixed by law.

The officer on duty was assigned to the bus stop. What do you think his duties at the bus stop were? Perhaps keep people from walking in the bus lane, perhaps for their own and others safety. That is not arbitrary that is his assigned duty. He wasn't just on patrol cruising the neighborhood and focused on some kid crossing the street in the wrong place. And if the kid would have got back on the crosswalk like the officer asked all that "injustice" would have been avoided.

Quote:
YOU are trying to convince people its a law that needs enforcement when the majority of posters have already said its a non-issue. No matter how much you repeat yourself its not going to change that fact.
No, I'm trying to convince people to follow direction and not argue, curse and resist an officers simple request. We have speed limits, stop signs, crosswalks, school zones for a reason. Sometimes they seem like a non issue to us but still, it is the law. If your bent on breaking the law for the love of Pete don't brazenly do it in front of a cop.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
It is a law that needs to be enforced as it would cut down on pedestrian accidents. I don't see a majority of posters saying it is a non-issue. I saw only a few say such a thing. No matter how much you try to use your opinion as fact it won't actually become fact.
"Resisting Arrest" Laws in California | Penal Code 148 (a)(1) pc

So was this kid under arrest? You could argue he was obstructing the officer, but the officer initiated the contact. An argument in his defense could be he was acting in self defense.

What has you posters so upset is the fact that he defied the officer. Which is progress since we now know what's driving some of this bad behavior. Ego.

Little man syndrome.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No need to yell. The crazy lady cursing in the background calling the 16 yr. old a baby and saying he didn't do nothin' wrong has nothing to do with it being arbitrary or not.

arbitrary: depending on individual discretion and not fixed by law.

The officer on duty was assigned to the bus stop. What do you think his duties at the bus stop were? Perhaps keep people from walking in the bus lane, perhaps for their own and others safety. That is not arbitrary that is his assigned duty. He wasn't just on patrol cruising the neighborhood and focused on some kid crossing the street in the wrong place. And if the kid would have got back on the crosswalk like the officer asked all that "injustice" would have been avoided.

I was talking about the public. What other posters are telling you. Not the cop who's getting paid for revenue collection.

No, I'm trying to convince people to follow direction and not argue, curse and resist an officers simple request. We have speed limits, stop signs, crosswalks, school zones for a reason. Sometimes they seem like a non issue to us but still, it is the law. If your bent on breaking the law for the love of Pete don't brazenly do it in front of a cop.
People respect laws that are just.

Unless you TRULY are a threat to traffic and drivers, this law should NEVER be applied. One poster had to go back to 1970 to cite a case where she'd seen it happen

I'm trying to convince people to stop bowing down to these bogus laws, corrupt officers and politicians and to stand up for our freedom.

I'm tired of this nanny state BS, racist policing, and selective enforcement where the most corrupt never see the inside of the jail while those who's crimes harm no one, spend years in there.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:36 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
"Resisting Arrest" Laws in California | Penal Code 148 (a)(1) pc I will print it out for you.

Resisting Arrest under California Penal Code Section 148(a) PC is a broadly defined criminal offense that makes it illegal to intentionally resist, delay or obstruct a law enforcement officer or emergency medical technician from performing his or her lawful duties. The "lawful duties" in question include almost any action performed in connection with their job, and is not limited to the act of performing an arrest.

So was this kid under arrest? You could argue he was obstructing the officer, but the officer initiated the contact. An argument in his defense could be he was acting in self defense. Again you do not have to be under arrest. He was being detained. The officer was performing his lawful duties and no the defense couldn't use he was acting in self defense.

Resisting Arrest under California Penal Code Section 148(a) PC requires the following elements:

1.The "victim" was a peace officer or EMT lawfully performing or attempting to perform his or her lawful duties
2. The defendant intentionally resisted, obstructed or delayed the performance of these duties AND
3. When the defendant acted, he or she knew that the officer/EMT was performing a lawful duty

Edgar Avendaño, who posted the video to Facebook, said the teen was stopped for jaywalking after he stepped out of a bus Tuesday morning near the San Joaquin Downtown Transit Center and was standing 2 feet away from the sidewalk.

“The cop was telling him to take a sit but the teen kept walking to his bus but the cop kept grabbing his arm and the kid took off the cop's hand off his arm so the cop took out his baton and that's when I started recording because everything happened too quick,” Avendaño wrote on Facebook.

The teen knew it was a police officer. The teen intentionally resisted.

What has you posters so upset is the fact that he defied the officer. Which is progress since we now know what's driving some of this bad behavior.
We have another person teen or not that thinks it is okay break rules, resist and think there shouldn't be any consequences for said action.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
As nearly as I'm getting it, lots of people in this thread think it would be not only a good idea, but ultimately somehow right and just for cops to allow black teenage guys to wander/walk/run out into traffic and be run over …

I dunno … Go figure ...

Old 09-22-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
As nearly as I'm getting it, lots of people in this thread think it would be not only a good idea, but ultimately somehow right and just for cops to allow black teenage guys to wander/walk/run out into traffic and be run over …

I dunno … Go figure ...
Oh what did we ever do back in the day without the Police state

Old 09-22-2015, 03:28 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Oh what did we ever do back in the day without the Police state
What ever did we do back in the day before so many people wanted to disarm the police and just keep them sequestered at "the station" ...

Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Bad choices made by the juvenile delinquent Kid.
You have no evidence that the teen was a juvenile delinquent. Lots of good kids make bad choices too. This particular teen was on his way to school. Why is it that you have to defame the boys character.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:21 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You have no evidence that the teen was a juvenile delinquent. Lots of good kids make bad choices too. This particular teen was on his way to school. Why is it that you have to defame the boys character.
The moment he made his bad choices, he became a delinquent. It's sort of the definition.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:23 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Apples and oranges. Show me where it's illegal for a cop to talk on the phone and text?
In many states it is illegal to text and drive. I assume that includes policemen as well as civilians.

State Distracted Driving Driving Laws

There are only 4 states without a ban on texting while driving.

Quote:
Currently, 46 states, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands ban text messaging for all drivers. All but 5 have primary enforcement. Of the 4 states without an all driver texting ban:

2 prohibit text messaging by novice drivers.
1 restricts school bus drivers from texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies