Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:28 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times

Advertisements

Do you guys think it will happen? Even the ant-drug people I know want it to happen, but something tells me they won't be voting. Waddaya think?

If it gets legalized does the medical system stay in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:14 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
It won't be long before we can smoke pot at a gay wedding. The latter is here.

Last edited by YAZ; 09-19-2015 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: sic

Old 09-19-2015, 03:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Doesnt really matter as any one who wants to smoke pot can easily acquire the product whether its illegal or not.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:29 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
I guarantee 100% that it will happen.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:43 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,404 times
I really hope it doesn't, although it's readily available now both my legal and illegal means. The clinics are a joke and I see this first hand, they will give ANYONE a card even if you have no medical issues, if you don't they'll just make one up. Anyone that says the stuff is harmless needs to wake up.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:01 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Legal marijuana from the dispensaries is a minimum of $20/gram and can go up from there depending. Not to mention there is the fees for the card, insurance, etc. that jack up costs. So despite easy access to a medical card in this state (it's ridiculously easy) there's still an economic incentive for some to buy illegally as the illegal stuff is cheaper than that. In my opinion, I don't see anything wrong with legalization. It will eliminate the black market for marijuana, will reduce prices for both medical and recreational, create jobs in the state, and give the government something to tax. Especially now that we've seen Colorado and Washington test the waters for us, I think Arizonans are more open to the idea of legalization. It will happen eventually.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:17 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Instead of trying to be one of the earlier states to legalize marijuana, its better for the Federal government to decriminalize it nationally (by convincing) and let the states decide for themselves. Regardless if it's legal or not, people will flock to Colorado or other states and purchase their own or obtain it illegally on the black market for cheaper price.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:30 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Here is my take on this whole thing and to those that say it won't encourage the use of MJ as "if you're going to do it you'll do it whether it is legal or not".

I've never tried MJ or any illegal drug for that matter because they are ILLEGAL. Now, if MJ was legal I probably would try it to see what it is all about. I imagine there are many like me so I don't see how people can say this will not encourage/expand the use of MJ.

I'm not opposed to it being made legal, however, the arguments to do so are not well thought out in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm not opposed to it being made legal, however, the arguments to do so are not well thought out in my opinion.
Not putting people in a cage for use/possession of a plant is not "well thought out"?

As to the OP, it's likely to happen. People have grown tired of the b.s. Reefer Madness style paranoia regarding marijuana. Even people who don't like pot think it's a waste of resources to put people in jail. Alcohol is far more dangerous to society. Ever hear of a stoned brawl or a guy getting stoned and beating his wife and/or kids?

One irony, though, is that the medical marijuana industry has opposed legalization in some places and if I recall an article I read (one I will post if I can find it) Arizona was one of those states. That alone, however, likely won't be enough. It might not happen in 2016 but I am confident marijuana will be legal in Arizona and the United States entire during my lifetime.

Decriminalization would be the better first step, though. Even if legal in AZ the Feds could still step in and disrupt if they wanted to.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:55 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Not putting people in a cage for use/possession of a plant is not "well thought out"?
So you feel the same way about Opium and Coca? Let's make them legal also since they are from a plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies