Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 08:34 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,183,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
totally untrue....
Absolutely true. The closer a private and public school are to serving the same neighborhood, the more alike their outcomes are. Same kids, same levels of problems.

Quote:
public schools are complicated, often underfunded operations influenced by political winds and shortfalls.
And private schools are somehow free to cut through all that crap and focus solely on quality education? My God, have you as often as once in your life actually been in a private school???

Quote:
Private school students typically score higher than public school students on standardized tests.
Not when corrected for parental income and education levels. Private schools admit only those students that they feel like admitting. The job of educating all the others falls to public schools. They are building in an obvious bias, and then advocates claim that better scores mean they are doing a better job. What a load of absolute baloney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
again, you are typing a lie..
It's all the truth. You are the one trapped in the lies of insidious partisan propagandists. The DC voucher program was not renewed after a 5-year run because it had failed to deliver on ANY of the promises that proponents had made for it. The final report of the Congressionally-appointed evaluators found "no conclusive evidence that the OSP affected student achievement overall, or for the high-priority group of students who applied from 'schools in need of improvement.'" In other words --- IT FAILED COMPLETELY!!!

Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
It's all the truth. You are the one trapped in the lies of insidious partisan propagandists. The DC voucher program was not renewed after a 5-year run because it had failed to deliver on ANY of the promises that proponents had made for it. The final report of the Congressionally-appointed evaluators found "no conclusive evidence that the OSP affected student achievement overall, or for the high-priority group of students who applied from 'schools in need of improvement.'" In other words --- IT FAILED COMPLETELY!!!
in otherwords the fascist liberals failed the program, because they didnt like it

but it was a success....again obozo failed the people

Obama

In February 2012, President Barack Obama announced his budget proposal for 2013, which did not include new funding for the program.[5] According to ABC News, the budget stated that the program's budget for 2012 had enough money to also cover students' vouchers in 2013, but did not mention future years.[5] The lack of funding was criticized by conservatives, including The Heritage Foundation and Wall Street Journal columnist Jason L. Riley, who argued that the program costs less per child and has a higher graduation rate than public schools in Washington D.C

oh and why didnt you type the REST of the statement

In 2010, a randomized controlled trial conducted under the auspices of the Department of Education examined the impacts of the OSP students. While the study reported that there "is no conclusive evidence that the OSP affected student achievement," the program was found to have a significant impact on graduation rates.[10] Students who were offered vouchers had a graduation rate of 82%, while those who actually used their vouchers had a graduation rate of 91%. By comparison, the rate for students who did not receive vouchers was only 70%. The study received the Department of Education’s highest rating for scientific rigor.[11] Over 90% of the study’s participants were African American, and most of the remainder were Latino American.

Further research found that students who received vouchers were 25% more likely to enroll in college than students with similar demographic characteristics who did not receive vouchers.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.C._O...arship_Program

the facts are there... liberlas are against vouchers and private schools...liberals want african americans and the poor to fail

Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 AM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Yes they are a lost cause at this point. I mean you basically have to squash the entire system and rebuild it from the ground up. That's not going to happen, let's be honest with ourselves. This is why it's time for the private market to tackle this problem.
I don't believe it's the role of the private market to be the primary educators of children. I strongly believe it is a fundamental role of government to provide education to children. There's plenty to debate as to whether it should originate at the federal, state, or local level but think privatization is dangerous path to go down.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree there is merit and some validity to your idea.
I do not agree that parents are doing everything they can.
I have kids. I see their parents. Most of them aren't doing squat.
They farm *everything* out. Their care, their education, their sports...everything.
Then they all sit around amazed that my kid can do all sorts of things theirs can't/couldn't at the same age and call me names like "Tiger Mom." Just bc I spend time with my kid.

You're right, there are parents who see public school as a "free" baby sitter for their children during the day. But let's be real, the public school system has always presented itself in this manner to begin with. Almost to the point where parents have become pretty lazy staying involved. Now I do hold parents accountable, I really do. But at the end of the day, the crux of the issue is that parents put TOO much faith in the public school system. Have you ever noticed that parents who give a damn actually pull their kids out of public schools?

I think we need to look at how parents have been conditioned to see the public schools as a way to get their kids out of their hair for the day. And I think this entire perception has pretty much become a mentality among parents in the last 30 years. So to some degree the public schools have marketed itself as a glorified public baby sitter. To the degree that maybe, just maybe parents actually believe simply sending your kids to school everyday is "doing their part". I'm plenty sure these parents would be shocked to know that this simply isn't enough.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
in otherwords the fascist liberals failed the program, because they didnt like it
No. Like voucher systems everywhere, it simply FAILED to deliver on ANY of the promises that proponents had made for it. By the way, the data on HS graduation rates were based on parental reports, not actually verified outcomes. Parents also reported that their children were in better, safer schools under the OSP. Students themselves did not agree with EITHER of those assessments. Over the course of the program in fact, many students left the program and returned to their original schools.

Quote:
but it was a success....again obozo failed the people
Obozo this, Obozo that. The mark of utter failure is on your posts as plainly as on the DC OSP.

Last edited by Reynard32; 09-22-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 09:56 AM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
If you wanted everybody to have a good chance of receiving education you would support private schools. The public school model can't be efficient in any configuration. It's because the entire model is not flexible and will always lag behind in terms of innovation.
I switched to public schools starting in 8th grade and had better opportunities (especially math and science) than I did when I was in a private religious affiliated school. The private school was very much one size fits all and if you were struggling or needed more challenging subject matter you were shortchanged.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You're right, there are parents who see public school as a "free" baby sitter for their children during the day.
And all those sectarian and other private schools are seen as just the same. I mean, let's be real here.

Quote:
Have you ever noticed that parents who give a damn actually pull their kids out of public schools?
Yes, mostly babbling religious fanatics and those who don't want their children exposed to various forms of modernity. You know, evolution, global warming, positive self-image, tolerance and cultural diversity, new math, whole-word language instruction, and a raft of other evils.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
Some kids, no matter where they're educated, just do not do well in schools. How do we know that doing anything different between what we have now (some successful kids, some middle of the road, and some failing) and some "other" education concept will even work?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
I switched to public schools starting in 8th grade and had better opportunities (especially math and science) than I did when I was in a private religious affiliated school. The private school was very much one size fits all and if you were struggling or needed more challenging subject matter you were shortchanged.
You're assuming that every private school is the same. Private schools are a business. It's up to the business owner in how they want to run it. Sure you will most definitely get a "one size fit all" model for private schools. But you can also get better innovation. Not every company runs the same, and certainly every private school is. The flexiblity and private of the market is the flexibility and the ability to meet market demands.

This is what people aren't doing. They're not looking like education as a business. They're trying too many juxtapositions between the public school. Private schools that probably have issues have them because they're directly trying to copy the public school model. Private school can be a completely different experience, if you allow business owners to model the best and most effective curriculum for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies