Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here's the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us/25south.html?_r=0

Like the NY Times article said, younger and more educated Blacks are fleeing blue states and moving to the South in search of better opportunities.
Thats not the end of your quote

this is the entire thing

Quote:
Northern blacks were a big part of Southern gains. There are now more than one million black residents of the South who were born in the Northeast, a tenfold increase since 1970.

Context matters, they are saying there are 1 million black people who have moved to the south since 1970, not in the last year or even in the last decade but since 1970, which was 35 years ago

1 million divided by 35 = is like 28,600 a year, so it is actually less than i described earlier.

Further more, as I stated in the previous debate on this subject, the Census defines the South as Maryland, Delaware,West Virginia, Virginia, Texas, oklahoma, and the rest of what most people would consider the core south.

last but not least, the word fleeing does not appear one single time in the NY Article. The article also states that those who are moving to the South are moving to the Blue dots, not conservative areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That is not the reason for their low rankings.

Do you know how the main ranking site - US News rates its national and liberal colleges?

There are multiple factors and they also rank by the "mission statement" of the institution as if that is significant to student learning.

The factors are as follows:

1 - Academic Reputation

2 - Retention rates

3 - Faculty resources.

4 - Student selectivity.

5 - Financial Resources.

6 - Graduation rates.

7 - Alumni Giving Rates.
Exactly. ALL are lower quality at HBCUs. Hence, their significantly lower academic rankings.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thats not the end of your quote

this is the entire thing

Context matters, they are saying there are 1 million black people who have moved to the south since 1970, not in the last year or even in the last decade but since 1970, which was 35 years ago

1 million divided by 35 = is like 28,600 a year, so it is actually less than i described earlier.

Further more, as I stated in the previous debate on this subject, the Census defines the South as Maryland, Delaware,West Virginia, Virginia, Texas, oklahoma, and the rest of what most people would consider the core south.

last but not least, the word fleeing does not appear one single time in the NY Article. The article also states that those who are moving to the South are moving to the Blue dots, not conservative areas.
The point is that blue states are doing nothing for them, and as the article specifically states, younger and more educated Blacks are moving out of blue states to the South in search of better opportunities.

So the question is... why aren't blue states providing better opportunities for Blacks? Why do they have to move to the South for that?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 AM

117 posts, read 92,643 times
Nope I don't think private education is all. But need to flourish knowledge going outside.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
The point is that blue states are doing nothing for them, and as the article specifically states, younger and more educated Blacks are moving out of blue states to the South in search of better opportunities.

So the question is... why aren't blue states providing better opportunities for Blacks?
Opps, 1970 was actually 45 years ago, not 35, so 22,000 a year. my mistake, but that makes my point even better.

I understand your point, I simply disagree because that still means something like 96% of black people chose to stay where they are or move to other northern and midwestern cities.

if 96% of your population stays behind, then doesnt that mean opportunity is there ?

Further more, moving in and of itself does not mean there isnt opportunity where you live. People have multiple job offers you know.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I understand your point
Good. The question remains... Blue states are doing nothing for Blacks, and as the article specifically states, younger and more educated Blacks are moving out of blue states to the South in search of better opportunities... why aren't blue states providing better opportunities for Blacks?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Good. The question remains... Blue states are doing nothing for Blacks, and as the article specifically states, younger and more educated Blacks are moving out of blue states to the South in search of better opportunities... why aren't blue states providing better opportunities for Blacks?
Come on InformedConsent. When I respond to you, I give you the courtesy and respect of responding to your entire post, not cutting it off or trying to reword it to make it seem as if you said something other than what you did, please give me the same respect.

As for your questions, I already explained it to you. the majority of the population believes those cities give them opportunity and someone leaving for a better job than the one they have or a better offer is not the same as having no opportunity, which is the flawed argument you are trying to make. Again, I have already stated this in previous post, give me the same respect I give you.

Last edited by dsjj251; 09-24-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 11:14 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Come on InformedConsent. When I respond to you, I give you the courtesy and respect of responding to your entire post, not cutting it off or trying to reword it to make it seem as if you said something other than what you did, please give me the same respect.

As for your questions, I already explained it to you. the majority of the population believes those cities give them opportunity and someone leaving for a better job than the one they have or a better offer is not the same as having no opportunity, which is the flawed argument you are trying to make. Again, I have already stated this in previous post, give me the same respect I give you.
your not seeing the big picture

650,000 have left NY in the last 3 years NY lost 3.4million in the 10 year period of 2000-2010

people and companies are leaving the so-called blue states (especially the northeastern states) in large numbers

in fact one company is leaving NY and going to your area AL.... remington arms co........ Colt (a CT company) is in bankruptsey)

ati moving to SC
kahr arms moving to PA

NY just recently lost congressional seats as it slipped to thrid most populas state now behind FL

Old 09-24-2015, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 6,381 times
Just catching up buy black kids can go to private school already so who knows what the OP is talking about.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Still your question to be answered... Younger and more educated Blacks are moving from Blue states to the South in search of better opportunities... why aren't blue states providing better opportunities for Blacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies