Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:57 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They are. Take a look at any school's report card. I'll provide a link to one in Chicago, so you can see what's going on. Schurz High, 94% low-income:

SCHURZ HIGH SCHOOL | Achievement Gap
But not every public school shares the same statistics. How about black inner city schools who have no principle and are the verge of being taken over by the state? But it should be noted that being white and in poverty/low income has the same effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
It's 94% low-income, so no one has a socioeconomic advantage. The White/Black achievement gap is still remarkably wide.
Low income designation at schools is based upon return of free/reduced lunch forms. Many parents lie on those forms and say they are low income so their kid can get free lunch. Schools rarely verify the information shown on the form.

Quote:
They are. Take a look at any school's report card. I'll provide a link to one in Chicago, so you can see what's going on. Schurz High, 94% low-income:

SCHURZ HIGH SCHOOL | Achievement Gap
FYI, that school is a Hispanic majority school with less than 10% black students and less than 2% white students. You should choose a majority black school or a more diverse school within CPS if you want to make that comparison.

CPS: Find a school - Schurz High School

And FWIW if the OP is still around, Chicago actually has a lot of private like public options for all children.

An example of public school working better than private in Chicago is Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep Academy

CPS has what is called "selective enrollment" schools whereas low income, minority students actually get a preference for admission as long as they pass entrance tests, as such, minority groups are very well represented in the selective enrollment schools. These schools have specialized and much more rigorous instruction that traditional public schools.

My husband went to selective enrollment schools in Chicago from 2nd to 12th grade. Today they have much higher instructional levels and a few of them are also considered some of the best high schools in the country.

Brooks is over 80% black and has a 95% college acceptance and entrance rates and higher average ACT scores than the district and state averages even though nearly 80% of its student population is considered low income.

So again, districts do have other options besides bad public schools. I have yet to find a major urban school system that doesn't offer some sort of selective enrollment schools or programs for their district. I used to live in Atlanta and I do believe they have taken away those options but they have a large public charter movement in metro Atlanta as well and many of the charter schools there, including the one my son attended have 80-90% low income black students who perform better in regards to testing than traditional public schools, mostly because they have the option to kick out low performing or behavioral issue children.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:46 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Believe it or not, most people in poor black communities care about their kid's education. I'd go as far as to say the ones who don't are probably like at the 5-10% mark. The issue is that the parents themselves aren't that educated, so they really don't know how to hold bad education under the microscope. The result is that many of these parents just tell their kids to do well in school, but aren't going to be all that critical about the stuff their kids are being taught.

As far as risk? Well did you know educating people actually doesn't cost that much money? It's true. These days you don't even need books. Give every kid a tablet, and they have an infinite amout of study material at their finger tips. Only keep facilities open half a day, because most of the school day in public schools is filler. You're actually learning about 3-4 hours in a day anyway. And clearly the school's budget can be estimated based on the amount of parents they'd think will participate on a quarterly basis.

I think private schools could actually be a cheap investment.
This is ridiculous. The education isn't bad, it's just not capitalized on. Plus middle and lower income school systems actually have offered classes and seminars on how best to advocate for their kids in school. Caring is not enough, parents have to follow through. I'm all for working with at risk parents and at risk kids - unfortunately, there's no money for edupenuers in that, so they exploit those at risk kids and do everything they can to ruin kids who are thriving in public schools. You should step into an inner city school. There are still more kids out of trouble than in trouble and even the "failing" schools manage to get kids into good colleges every year. To say private is best is a silly generalization. I see plenty of black kids just get by at our local catholic schools each year while leading the basketball team to a state championship. Please don't try and tell me private schools are genuine about educating all students.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:49 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
But not every public school shares the same statistics. How about black inner city schools who have no principle and are the verge of being taken over by the state? But it should be noted that being white and in poverty/low income has the same effect.
Exactly why I posted the stats for a school that has a 94% poverty rate. Even with that, there's a HUGE White/Black achievement gap.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Low income designation at schools is based upon return of free/reduced lunch forms. Many parents lie on those forms and say they are low income so their kid can get free lunch. Schools rarely verify the information shown on the form.
Oh, please. Look at the school's attendance boundaries. They ARE low-income neighborhoods.

Quote:
And FWIW if the OP is still around, Chicago actually has a lot of private like public options for all children.

An example of public school working better than private in Chicago is Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep Academy

CPS has what is called "selective enrollment" schools whereas low income, minority students actually get a preference for admission as long as they pass entrance tests, as such, minority groups are very well represented in the selective enrollment schools.
Only because they're admitted with lower test scores as an act of affirmative action. And look at the achievement gap in those schools:

Gwendolyn Brooks CPA, as you cited, in particular:

GWENDOLYN BROOKS MIDDLE SCHOOL | Achievement Gap

The High School isn't reporting their racial achievement gap.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,307 times
Quote:
Oh, please. Look at the school's attendance boundaries. They ARE low-income neighborhoods.

Only because they're admitted with lower test scores as an act of affirmative action. And look at the achievement gap in those schools:

Gwendolyn Brooks CPA, as you cited, in particular:

GWENDOLYN BROOKS MIDDLE SCHOOL | Achievement Gap

The High School isn't reporting their racial achievement gap.
Plus, and this is the kicker. The "achievement gap" is present even across income levels. Black kids in homes with parental incomes above $200k barely score higher than white kids with homes below the poverty level.

It's not just the schools or the curriculum.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,877 times
Quote:
Exactly why I posted the stats for a school that has a 94% poverty rate. Even with that, there's a HUGE White/Black achievement gap.
Doesn't lessen the effects of black students living in poor conditions in relation to academic achievement.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Doesn't lessen the effects of black students living in poor conditions in relation to academic achievement.
Why are White students at Schurz less affected by living in those same poor conditions?

Attendance boundaries:

http://www.schurzhs.org/pdf/boundary_map.pdf

Old 09-29-2015, 01:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

well they verify it here in NY...and when I was living in NC... and you can go to jail for lying on that form

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
doesnt matter if they are black, hispanic, or white...a kid of a poor crackhead is going to do poorly in school...if the parents dont care, they kid isn't going to care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies