Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:16 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,896,766 times

Advertisements

It still hasn't been explained how this is a first amendment issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,218,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I didn't choose to come to this country, I was born here. My grandmother made that choice for me when she decided to move to the US/Puerto Rico from Germany. So Spanish is my native language, where the **** do I go? I don't qualify to go back to Germany or Spain, genius
You could move to Laredo, TX. It's 98% Hispanic and is the LEAST diverse city in the country (at least a couple of years ago). The cashiers at major chains like Target do not speak English. You have Nuevo Laredo, NL right across the river.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 AM

29,824 posts, read 18,675,159 times
For success in the business world no matter where you are in the world (and I've worked all over and currently in Peru), English is the critical language of communication and success so it should be a requirement for our kids sake to make sure they read and write English well. Learning new languages is something we are very deficient in on the world scale because our language dominates world business and we haven't done enough to promote other languages....we should also do that.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,806,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It still hasn't been explained how this is a first amendment issue.
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is at all, she was given 5 minutes to address the witness and instead was making a statement. He let her go for nearly 3 minutes....

Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,166,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
For success in the business world no matter where you are in the world (and I've worked all over and currently in Peru), English is the critical language of communication and success so it should be a requirement for our kids sake to make sure they read and write English well. Learning new languages is something we are very deficient in on the world scale because our language dominates world business and we haven't done enough to promote other languages....we should also do that.
English is by far thee Global language of this planet!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:46 PM

62,439 posts, read 28,688,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Why? I'd rather see us have a universal language so we can all communicate with one another.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM

30,150 posts, read 23,535,374 times
Quote:
Why should I have to live anywhere else but here just because you feel uncomfortable that several million native-born US citizens speak Spanish as their first language? Who gave you the right to tell me what language I can speak? Puerto Rico reserves the right, and we do, to speak primarily Spanish. It's never going to change, and I feel the same way that many many Puerto Ricans on the island do. We didn't fight for, and in many cases, die for the flag just so some insecure white good ol' boy doesn't like hearing any other language but English. You disrespect my family and thousands upon thousands of others from Puerto Rico who are and were combat veterans. We also died so you can keep your Bill of Rights, the 1st Amendment isn't for white people from the Midwest only
Calm down. No one is telling you that you can never speak Spanish. What anyone is asking for is that you also speak English. Since you clearly do, this thread has nothing to do with you.

As ceece said earlier, when you have this many different types of people coming in, (and it's NOT just Spanish speaking people), you have to find a way to communicate. You need to choose a single language that everyone learns so that people in this country can communicate. If you want to speak Spanish with your family and friends, who cares. If you want to communicate with others ...you know what? No. I know you better than this, you are NOT this dense. You're just making this out to be what it isn't, and you know it.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,273,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You obviously have never been to Puerto Rico, it's beautiful... With some work it could be another Hawaii..
Shhhhhh

It is the poor mans Hawaii lets keep it that way.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,066,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why? I'd rather see us have a universal language so we can all communicate with one another.
So then why not increase funding for ESL programs and for other bilingual education initiatives instead of wasting time on meaningless symbolic legislation?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,826,816 times
Quote:
I didn't choose to come to this country, I was born here. My grandmother made that choice for me when she decided to move to the US/Puerto Rico from Germany. So Spanish is my native language, where the **** do I go? I don't qualify to go back to Germany or Spain, genius
I think you CAN claim German citizenship through your grandmother's heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies