Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 01:57 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So I suppose your claim then is that you can READ HIS MIND eh?

Ken
His words are his words. He has taken a position, and it has a meaning. If you disagree, then go back and read the quote, the linked articles, and then spell out why you disagree with the authors and me.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So your game is to make an assertion that can never be proven, and when people point out the flaws in your argument, you call their arguments "suppositions". Ah, the irony of it all!
I am no stranger to the twisting, contorting, and outright purposeful misinterpretation of my posts by liberals such as yourself. It's your modus operandi. Always has been.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
LOL. You simply cannot wrap your mind around the idea that when Pope Francis uses "leftist", he doesn't mean the same thing that you do when you use "leftist." Even though EVERYTHING about Pope Francis points to how differently he sees the world than you.
So you're admitting that you'll not go back and read the articles and make an informed argument as to why the author's are wrong? Is that what you're saying? Ok. Fine. No matter to me.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
His words are his words. He has taken a position, and it has a meaning. If you disagree, then go back and read the quote, the linked articles, and then spell out why you disagree with the authors and me.
His words say "I'm not Liberal" so what?
He's not Conservative either.
As compared to the AMERICAN litmus test for Liberal or Conservative he's all over the place - with Liberals on Global Warming and Immigration, with Conservatives on Abortion and Gay Marriage. Is that a SURPRISE to you? If so you have a very Ameri-centric view of the world. I got news for you - Right and Left are not identical overseas to what they are here.
It seems pretty obvious that YOU are the one trying to make his visit POLITICAL. I certainly don't care what his views are -I just like the guy *and I'm not alone in that.
He is a GREAT man - but more importantly he's a GOOD man.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 09-23-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 02:06 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Pino

Old 09-23-2015, 02:06 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So you're admitting that you'll not go back and read the articles and make an informed argument as to why the author's are wrong? Is that what you're saying? Ok. Fine. No matter to me.
Still waiting on you to actually defend your viewpoint.

My argument as to why the author is wrong still stands. Different people from different cultures and different political landscapes define political terms like "liberal, leftist, conservative, reactionary" differently. Pope Francis is from a different culture. He's not using the term "leftist" in the same way you do. I can't be more straightforward than that. Now, please defend your viewpoint without obfuscation.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Which is understandable, as it really terrifies the right to see a man of religion champion humanity over ideology. I suppose because the most vocal religious leaders they venerate here in the U.S. put ideology and dogma above all else. This Pope reminds me that there are still Christians in the world who actually follow the teachings of Christ.
We are strong Christians and generally conservative as well. I agree with the Pope on a lot of things. We feel strongly that it is our duty to treat others well, help the less fortunate, take care of God's planet, etc.
Where I part from liberals is that I feel that is my personal duty. I give my money and time to serve others. I recycle, consume less, etc to help God's planet.
Jesus didn't come and ask the government to feed the poor. He personally did it and called on Christians to do the same, to literally be the hands and feet of Christ.

That's what I practice as do so many others at my church.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Most democrats are more than happy for this Pope to speak his mind. Most Catholics are thrilled with his positions.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:24 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Different people from different cultures and different political landscapes define political terms like "liberal, leftist, conservative, reactionary" differently. Pope Francis is from a different culture. He's not using the term "leftist" in the same way you do.
There's no pigeonholing the pontiff.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
There's no pigeonholing the pontiff.
That's EXACTLY right. The OP apparently has some deep-seated need to place everyone into a neat little box.
Real life doesn't work that way - and it especially doesn't work that way when you are talking politics and including in your examples folks from other countries.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies