Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why should any political party in the United States suit the Pope? The Pope is a global figure.
"Should" is not the operative word in the question.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My values are not up for debate, nor have they been espoused here. Not sure what you're referring to in that regards.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. You listed normalizing homosexuality as something negative, which was an expression of your values.

Hopefully you're listening to Pope Francis and learning why that is a detrimental value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The Pope is not engaging in politics, he's stating his beliefs, which happen to fall in line more with the left than they do with the right. That's what you're really pissed off about.
So, your position is that the Pope is in fact a leftist, right?

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
You're confused. I'm not speaking of his objectives. I'm speaking of the co-opting of his objectives by Democrats for political gain, which he obviously is not very happy with considering he disavowed being a leftist moments before arriving in the US.
You're the one who's apparently confused as you stated "The Pope can try to run and hide from his liberal ideology" yet now you say he disavowed being a leftist. Care to actually take a position?

If you just want to whine about liberals and the left, at least try to do it sensibly.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
You're confused. I'm not speaking of his objectives. I'm speaking of the co-opting of his objectives by Democrats for political gain, which he obviously is not very happy with considering he disavowed being a leftist moments before arriving in the US.
Once again, that leap without any foundation.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
That's precisely the point of the thread. The Pope had a religious reason to espouse certain positions. Now, American Democrats are poised to bastardize those positions for political gain. The Pope is not enthralled by this circumstance because now he's in the crosshairs of both parties. It is no small thing that he made it a point to clarify that he's not a leftist literally hours before visiting a country whose leftist politicians have made it no secret of their intent to use his moral teachings for political gain.
Gimme a break! I find both parties repulsive so don't bother slinging insults at me, but how is it that you'll criticize democrats for spinning the Pope's message, but when evangelicals espouse conservative values, it's OK for the GOP to put their spin on it?

Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
So, your position is that the Pope is in fact a leftist, right?
No, my position is that many of the things the Pope believes in are things people on the left also believe in. Even you know this is true or you wouldn't be throwing such a tantrum about it. He also believes things that many on the left might not agree with, but you don't see us getting all pissy about that.

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
"Should" is not the operative word in the question.
Global is the operative word.

The Pope's agenda is global. He doesn't care about American politics except as it hinders or furthers his own agenda. He's not allying himself with any American political party. If they happen to agree with his agenda, he'll gladly accept their help, if they disagree with his agenda, he'll speak to that. But he's on a level outside American politics, so your claim, that he'll regret coming to the United States, is nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You're the one who's apparently confused as you stated "The Pope can try to run and hide from his liberal ideology" yet now you say he disavowed being a leftist. Care to actually take a position?

If you just want to whine about liberals and the left, at least try to do it sensibly.
Burdell...your comment makes no sense. The Pope disavowed liberalism. The Pope's "moral" teachings of late play right into the liberal handbook. I'm not sure where the confusion is on your part.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Once again, that leap without any foundation.
His quote to the media moments before landing in the US is quite telling. What part of the quote do you interpret that he is not disavowing liberalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies