Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm saying he's here as a head of state and contrary to what you seem to think, no different than any other head of state.

Perhaps we need a clarification from you. Are you actually alleging the words of a head of state are not a different situation than a government employee refusing to do her job? If you are, it's silly, if you're not, the claim of hypocrisy in the OP is baseless.
Burdell, you're trying to have it both ways by couching in as "head of state" ....not political...not religious...but head of state. Do you not see how such hedging completely undercuts your broader argument?

It's the Pope for goodness sakes....OF COURSE he's espousing religious doctrine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The first time a legislator cites the Pope as inspiration for drafting legislation, will you denounce the lawmaker for using a religious reasons to push forward legislation? If not, then it sounds like you believe religious points of view and government regulation can co-exist.

If that's the case, Kim Davis is owed an apology.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Bill Clinton cited the 2,000 mentions in the Bible of helping the poor as a moral foundation for his policies.

Jimmy Carter has long used his Christian faith as a foundation for his policy and humanitarian work.

I honestly don't know why this is a new concept. Inspiration can come from anywhere. Inspiration doesn't break the law.

Refusing to uphold the law breaks the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I/2 of the Senate and 1/4 of the House including the speaker are Catholic. And by golly, some are Republican.

Kim Davis declined to perform her job.

The pope shares his opinion. Huge diff.

I have no interest in the pope's opinion.
But the Pope's opinion as a religious leader will undoubtedly inspire legislation. Will you then cry foul? If not, then that suggests that you believe government regulation and religion can co-exist. At which point Kim Davis will be owed an apology.

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
When the Pope pushes a "moral obligation" backed by religion, it makes hypocrites out of every living, breathing supportive Democrat and liberal in America:

1) Keep Kim Davis's religious views out of government!
2) Take the Pope's religious views on American social policy and incorporate them into government law and regulation!

Both of which affect American's, but only one of which liberals support!

The hypocrisy is downright disgusting!

I agree to some extent. I think that both Kim Davis is flat out 100% wrong (which she is), and that the Pope has no place addressing congress (which is how I would feel about any religious leader).

The only difference is that Kim Davis is a law breaking ignorant douche bag. The Pope is actually an appointed leader of the church of a billion people. However, he still has no place addressing the US congress.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Is that supposed to mean something? I'm not familiar.
I was going to say the same thing about the thread!

Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about. Bill Clinton cited the 2,000 mentions in the Bible of helping the poor as a moral foundation for his policies.

Jimmy Carter has long used his Christian faith as a foundation for his policy and humanitarian work.

I honestly don't know why this is a new concept. Inspiration can come from anywhere. Inspiration doesn't break the law.

Refusing to uphold the law breaks the law.
So, it sounds like you're perfectly fine with religion being the moral authority for which laws are created? Is that a new plank in liberal ideology? That's pretty earth-shattering coming from the ideology that believes homosexuality should be normalized through American laws.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Burdell, you're trying to have it both ways by couching in as "head of state" ....not political...not religious...but head of state. Do you not see how such hedging completely undercuts your broader argument?

It's the Pope for goodness sakes....OF COURSE he's espousing religious doctrine!
HOW is suggesting the US and Cuba improve relations a RELIGIOUS doctrine?

HOW is talking about MAN affecting the environment RELIGIOYUS doctrine?

I believe the OP is a baseless accusation of hypocrisy and just another one of your 'liberal this' and liberal that' whines and you're now trying to distance yourself from it.

So I'll ask: Just HOW is a speech given by a visiting head of state remotely comparable to a government employee refusing to do her job?

Please answer THAT specific question without continual attempts at deflection.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
I agree to some extent. I think that both Kim Davis is flat out 100% wrong (which she is), and that the Pope has no place addressing congress (which is how I would feel about any religious leader).

The only difference is that Kim Davis is a law breaking ignorant douche bag. The Pope is actually an appointed leader of the church of a billion people. However, he still has no place addressing the US congress.
Bingo! I am absolutely, 100% in agreement.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
But the Pope's opinion as a religious leader will undoubtedly inspire legislation. Will you then cry foul? If not, then that suggests that you believe government regulation and religion can co-exist. At which point Kim Davis will be owed an apology.

That would depend on the legislation, if it was secular, and here's a tip for you, the Pope is actually allowed to and does have secular thoughts, I'd be fine with it. BUT, if the legislation was based purely on religion I would indeed cry foul. And Kim Davis should be owed nothing but a severance check.

BTW, I'll note you have yet to answer : Just HOW is a speech given by a visiting head of state remotely comparable to a government employee refusing to do her job?

Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
But the Pope's opinion as a religious leader will undoubtedly inspire legislation.
By the bye, the Pope is the head of state of Vatican City a sovereign city-state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies