Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:42 PM

6,378 posts, read 6,267,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to publish welfare recipient names and address followed with a public plea for folks to come forward with job offers. But no that would be too forward think. No we prefer to shame people without offering a single tangible alternative. Way to go, just love those Republicans.
Excellent idea!

But names don't have to be posted to do that. Just post the resumes with hours available for work (because most are already working somewhere else or caring for children under 5.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Are you comparing trust funds to food stamps?
I will speak to this. So many Trust Fund Babies ARE on food stamps and Medicaid! Remember that you can "gift" someone up to 14k dollars TAX FREE.

THESE are the people who should be scrutinized, if anyone, for scamming the system.

I would bet that at least 25% of those with "jet skis" in Maine, obtained them by such means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So far, the only thing I'm hearing as to why it's a bad idea is because it "demonizes" the poor.

What I'm hearing as to why it's a good idea is that it allows tax payers to know where their money is being spent, it holds people accountable, it can help prevent abuse and fraud, it's not a new concept....

I don't agree with addresses, but I think putting people's names on a list online isn't such a bad idea after all. When someone is using my money, I guess the idea that they might be embarrassed (or what some who like to exaggerate call "demonizing", seriously people), doesn't matter to me. I was poor as hell. I never took any benefits. I didn't get any hand outs. So yeah, I think this is a good idea.
REALLY?!

Then you must have missed or purposefully dismissed (consciously or unconsciously) my post on the 6th page or so:

"

1. It exploits the poor.

2. There is SO MUCH hatred for the poor in our society (just look at this forum for proof), that this would put them at high risk of violence. Add this to the fact that poor are ALREADY at high risk of violence merely by being poor.

3. Some who need benefits would be reluctant to receive them. For one reason, domestic violence still exists and many don't want abusers to know where they live.

4. As parents discuss this at home, that info would quickly make it to schools. Poor kids have it hard enough without the added bullying/teasing.

5. When seen in society working or walking down the street, it would be open season for verbal harassment. (e.g. "Why aren't you at work?" "Why don't you get another job?" "Why didn't you have an abortion?" Etc)

6. Blackmail. Anyone could use that info to pass on to others the recipient didn't want to know- a boss, parents, former abuser, etc. And now that the blackmailer knows the person gets *some* money so they want a certain percentage to keep quiet.

7. Discrimination. In potential jobs, schools, etc.

8. All of this could make it MORE DIFFICULT TO STOP DEPENDENCE on welfare and perpetuate the problem.

I think these are more than enough reasons and they are just off the top of my head!

"

Old 09-27-2015, 12:09 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,434,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
if I steal a hundred dollars from you it's okay, but if I take a thousand you'll call the cops?
What is an acceptable amount of money to be taken from you and given to someone else without your permission?
Do you care about the money being stolen from your paycheck to build bombs to kill people?

Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
All businesses who have a contract with the federal government have their names and contract amount published. All businesses who receives grants, subsidies, etc have their names published and the amount awarded.

Federal workers have their names published, the salary they received, job title, and agency they work for are published. Arrest records despite having no conviction are available for the public; yet you do not think those who receive public funds (welfare) should not have their names published or at a minimum, available publicly?

1. That is not "corporate welfare" that is a contract with the government. Apples to oranges. I want to see the names of businesses- in that town- who receive special federal tax considerations, all private companies tax deductions, tax breaks, itemized deductions, gross: net ratio, tax returns, etc. After all, some of that is "my money."

At *the very least,* I want to see the percentages of their staff who is on welfare. THIS should be the starting point way before posting individual names. Because by not paying employees enough, these businesses are "spending my money."

2. Yes, but it is ALREADY KNOWN by the public that they work for the government- just utilize a school, town hall, etc and you can obviously see who works there. And their addresses are not posted. Apples to oranges again.

3. I do not think that arrest records should be public either unless convicted.

4. No, i do not.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:28 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,916,813 times
The problem with any list ,especially if democrats are in charge ,is that being applied to a list is easier the getting taken off.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,186,795 times
Good idea. Better idea: put them in stocks in the town square.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,506,998 times
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Proverbs 14:31

Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,746,092 times
I would take this proposed revelation and post everyone's Income Tax Returns on a government website. That would go a long way to expose the hypocrites amongst us.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:20 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,345,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Why are the poor different than everyone else?
Exactly my question - why should they get singled out for "special attention"?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,746,092 times
Because it diverts attention from the corny capitalists, corrupt bankers, and stock speculators that are the ones really stealing our wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies