Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkIo...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A lot of what you just described, which is not altogether inaccurate, could also be said about western/Christian civilization.

Which is what? Colonization? Forced religion? Ok.... and? How did it work out for the culture and religion of the natives in the Americas when Christianity came knocking? Seems to me like it needs to be a lesson learned from experience!

It also Doesn't make what's happening now right in any way. It also doesn't mean that the civilizations of Europe, and the citizens of Europe TODAY should now roll over or accept it as a sort of "comeuppance." There's not too many civilizations, religions or cultures in this world that haven't subjugated others at some point in the past. And if that's an excuse, then we'd be OK making excuse for Christian expansionism in Mexico by claiming the Aztecs "had it coming" for their own empire building and cultural imperialism.

If the entire population of Germany voluntarily converted to Islam tomorrow, I guess that would be one thing. But to voluntarily supplant or cede your own culture and peoples with one so fundamentally different --- which millions have literally died to protect in the past --- it is simply the height of cowardice. I'm struggling to find the right kind of word to describe someone who would betray their own culture and destiny... it's all very Uncle Tomish.

The Ottomans beseiged Vienna twice with massive armies, and were twice pushed away and back from the gates of the city, as the Ottomans attempted to expand the Caliphate. If only Suleiman the Magnificent could foresee that the p**** descendants of the folks who defeated his armies would one day welcome invading hordes with chocolates and roses and applause!

Last edited by TriMT7; 09-29-2015 at 04:28 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 04:32 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Christian? What did religion have to do with it. McVeigh was a Nationalist and he did it to protest the Government and not because of religion. If he yelled "Jesus saves" or "Allah Akhbar" we would know he did it for religious reasons.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:38 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Christian? What did religion have to do with it. McVeigh was a Nationalist and he did it to protest the Government and not because of religion. If he yelled "Jesus saves" or "Allah Akhbar" we would know he did it for religious reasons.
Like Nidal Hassan. But that wasn't terrorism, just workplace violence.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:42 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
Default Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
A good point I think. When it comes to these crazies who commit these sorts of crimes, I am hard pressed to blame anything other than mental retardation for their actions.

I won't go so far to say that I don't hold religion responsible for much of our problems as well, but regardless what someone like McVeigh or Osama Bin Laden might be shouting in the name of their terrorism, how do they not qualify as insane? And as such, how do we blame their actions on whatever faith or ism they might claim allegiance to?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Nativists said the same thing about the Jews, the Irish, the Italians, etc. Nothing new here from the people who were once immigrants themselves.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Errr..............Speaking for myself, I was born in the US, as was my mother and father. I'm not, nor was I ever, an immigrant. My great-grandfather was a Native American Indian and my grandfather who was an NAI married the daughter of immigrants. How would that make me an "immigrant"??

Do you really believe that the Jews, the Irish, the Italians who immigrated to the US had it in mind to change the US, make demands on the US, plotting to destroy the US, try to force their religion and cultures on everyone else??

Do you even know the definition of "immigrant"?

Immigrant: a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
Hey, dude, you need to read up on the Molly Maguires, who killed William McKinley, and who Emma Goldberg was. More recently, let's hear it for the Jewish Defense League and NORAID. Then we have that most notable "American" institution of the Ku Klux Klan, dedicated to keeping blacks, immigrants, Jews, and Catholic subservient through white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant terrorism.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:05 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
A good point I think. When it comes to these crazies who commit these sorts of crimes, I am hard pressed to blame anything other than mental retardation for their actions.

I won't go so far to say that I don't hold religion responsible for much of our problems as well, but regardless what someone like McVeigh or Osama Bin Laden might be shouting in the name of their terrorism, how do they not qualify as insane? And as such, how do we blame their actions on whatever faith or ism they might claim allegiance to?
Excellent points.

John Brown thought he was called by God to kill pro-slavery people in Kansas and to foment a slave rebellion which is why he stormed the federal arsenal at Harper's Ferrry, Va in 1859. Should all Protestants be blamed for his using religion to excuse his violence?

Most "radicals" who use religion as an excuse for violence have their own special interpretation of their religion that excuses their behavior. Consider the anti-abortion fanatics who claim that they're saving lives by killing abortion providers -- and some of the clerics who incite them to do it.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:07 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
Immigration and culture.

I'm a little late to this party. Maybe that's why I'm not too sure I understand what I am reading here, but of course immigration influences and/or changes the culture of a country over time, whether intentionally or not.

We hardly have the same culture in America that we were known to have 200 years ago. This is true for most all countries where immigration has been a significant part of history, not so much in other countries like Japan where they have remained for the most part homogeneous. Pros and cons to both of scenarios of course...

Also of course there are many other factors that alter a culture over time. The passage of time itself always takes its toll.

Immigration is very simply the movement of people from their own country to another typically because they believe moving is a way to improve their quality of life. Back hundreds of years ago, back when America was nothing but wide open spaces open to settlement for just about anyone who could manage a farm, there were not the issues like we have today.

Certainly not the issues like Europe has today, like the world has today.

Too many people are being displaced by poverty, ignorance and violence with no good options available to them.

Last edited by And D; 09-29-2015 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 05:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Wanting to preserve your way of life, AS A RACIST, makes you a racist...and don't you forget it either.
You mean like hood rats with their "keeping it real" nonsense? Cut off their welfare and so on; then let's see if those hooligans will still preserve their way of life IF breaking the law is a certain prison term for 20 years.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Colonizing is nothing new and started when the US opened Ellis Island, and probably before. I'm sure you know that. There were neighborhoods (colonies) for the Irish, the Jewish, the Italians, the Polish, the Hispanics, the Chinese, the Germans, and the list goes on and on, and to this day those neighborhoods exist all over the US. What do you call "white neighborhoods", "black neighborhoods", "Hispanic neighborhoods" and yes, "Arab neighborhoods"?? Are they not colonies??
MOST people who came here legally as free people may've stayed in their little "colonies"; for 2 to 3 generations but, after that the grandkids turned into "anglo white" Americans by culture even if they were Black or Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies