Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
We are talking about singular events, population comparison/ratio is irrelevant.
I know you went and looked up the numbers and suddenly realized that your argument just lost all it's steam, but a population comparison ratio is actually very relevant. Per capita, the occurrence in Norway is strikingly close to the occurrence rate is here in the US. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
BREAKING: CONFIRMED: Chris Harper-Mercer Is 26 Year-Old Muslim Killer #UCCShooting - GotNews

Any surprise there?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:11 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No, the fact is, the genie is out of the bottle. If you took all of our guns away, guess what. There would still be guns in this country and there would still be mass shootings. You would however create yet another black market, much the same as has been created with the drug war. I know you think 340 million people can live in a Utopian state, but that isn't possible. This many people in one country, there are going to be mass murders. There are steps that could be taken to prevent it from happening again, but that would cost money and that really isn't your purpose here anyway. Your goal is to remove guns from law abiding citizens. It isn't to prevent further deaths due to mass murders and it isn't to stop gun crimes. If you wanted to stop mass murder, you would insist on armed guards on campuses across the country. You won't do that. If you wanted to stop gun crimes in the cities, you would address illegal drugs in a more realistic manner, but again you won't, because that isn't what all this is about, now is it....
I don't believe that the answer to gun violence in this country is to give more people guns. About that you are correct. That's what your answer is--arm even more people. It's insane.

If we had the will, we could address this in a rational manner. Other countries have managed to do it, why can't we? The answer is that there is no will to. Because people are so in love with their guns that they are willing to live in a country where mass shooting have become so much the norm that we just shrug and go about our business.

But we'll be back here in a few weeks, having this discussion again, and again you will tell me, oh, well, there's nothing we can do about it. You seem to be okay with that. I'm not.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't believe that the answer to gun violence in this country is to give more people guns. About that you are correct. That's what your answer is--arm even more people. It's insane.

If we had the will, we could address this in a rational manner. Other countries have managed to do it, why can't we? The answer is that there is no will to. Because people are so in love with their guns that they are willing to live in a country where mass shooting have become so much the norm that we just shrug and go about our business.

But we'll be back here in a few weeks, having this discussion again, and again you will tell me, oh, well, there's nothing we can do about it. You seem to be okay with that. I'm not.
Oh there are things that can be done about it, but you and your ilk don't want to do them. Those things wouldn't include infringing on the rights of American citizens to keep their firearms. If it doesn't remove firearms, then it doesn't interest you.. If there were a way (which there isn't even if you removed all the firearms) to prevent all mass murders in this country, you wouldn't go along with it unless it included taking away peoples guns. You have made that abundantly clear.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post

Urban, how 'bout we agree to disagree and hang it up for the night? There is nothing Republicans or Democrats can do about the crazies of the world.
Well that is false, other countries don't seem to have this problem....yet somehow there is nothing that can be done. Sitting on our hands while this continues to get worse is not the answer and I am tired of people like you who seem to act like there is nothing we can do. It is getting old and more people keep dying in mass shootings thanks to this inaction.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh there are things that can be done about it, but you and your ilk don't want to do them. Those things wouldn't include infringing on the rights of American citizens to keep their firearms. If it doesn't remove firearms, then it doesn't interest you.. If there were a way (which there isn't even if you removed all the firearms) to prevent all mass murders in this country, you wouldn't go along with it unless it included taking away peoples guns. You have made that abundantly clear.
Well, then, don't keep being so coy. What are these things that can be done that me and my "ilk" wouldn't want?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Is anyone surprised that you will believe anything you read on the internet? Nope.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yeah, I read on the Internet today that this guy was an atheist, Muslim, right-wing Republican Wiccan IRA supporter and men's right advocate, so all of that must be true if it was on the Internet.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Is anyone surprised that you will believe anything you read on the internet? Nope.
Correction. Anything that fits her preconceived beliefs. And this fits the bill, so it MUST be true.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well, then, don't keep being so coy. What are these things that can be done that me and my "ilk" wouldn't want?
Improved security measures at all schools and public gathering places would be an excellent start, to include metal detectors. Costs money but it is effective. I'm willing to pay my share. More training for teachers and professors to recognize students with the potential to create a similar circumstance. Yes occasionally there will be people unjustly questioned, but is it worth saving the lives of potential victims? We are all about the victims right? Right? Monitoring of the internet for potential threats... These guys are all posting their intentions... These are a few beginning measures, I am sure there are more that could be implemented as well. That said, regardless of what we do, there will always be the one that slips through all of our defenses in some way and commits another mass murder. Regardless of what we do, we can't stop them all, but we can stop the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies