Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 04:42 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
#1 I am in total agreement

#2 that's not my call to make. I am not a professional but there are plenty out there who are qualified.

We need a process to determine this kind of criteria, with plenty of oversight to ensure there's no abuse and that people aren't losing their rights for no good reason. For those who are denied their rights because of mental defect, we need to ensure that due process is afforded.

We could start by putting some barriers in front of gun ownership. I hate to say it but at this point I'm thinking licensing complete with mental health screening for first tome buyers....

Is it an infringement of Rights according to the letter and spirit of the BoR? Yep, I'd have to say so, but that's where we're at in America. We either make tough concessions like these, or yes, we accept this as the new normal. We accept that at any time, any place, and at any moment, we can become a part of some basement dwellers personal revolution against society....

So which is it?

The concession would be that is no longer a right.
It would be a privilege granted only under the auspices of a government beaurocrats.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:48 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
To the right-wingers who think arming the entire populous would curb mass shootings... FORT HOOD.

Melting down the majority of the 300+ million guns in this country would slow the shootings. Nothing less would suffice.

Perhaps you should have sprinkled this post with some honesty.
Sorry to hear you don't seem to respect the country by ublive in.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:52 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
So now we know.

Quote:
On Tuesday, Harper-Mercer answered a discussion thread asking: “How many girlfriends you have had?”

“0,” he wrote. “Never had anyone.”

The day before the shooting, a poster replied to him in the thread saying, “You must be saving yourself for someone special. In due time then......”

“Involuntarily so,” Harper-Mercer responded.
Plus a teetotaler. Can't trust em.

Oregon community college gunman sympathized with Va. TV shooter, shared Newtown school shooting documentary

Quote:
The shooter’s stepsister said the tragedy made no sense.

“I’m shaking right now,” she told reporters. “He meant a lot to me. He was a nice guy, and he put everyone before himself ... it doesn't sound right. All he ever did was put everyone before himself. He wanted everyone to be happy.
False flag ammo.

Last edited by Ih2puo; 10-02-2015 at 05:08 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am just saying that we better be careful about this. We don't want everyone who has ever been treated for a mental illness to lose rights. What sort of mental illnesses do you think should preclude someone from gun ownership?
Ones that have exhibited previous violent behavior. Will that stop every bad thing from happening? No. Nothing will.

There may be other things we can do but we will never know because we refuse to discuss it.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:02 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
I stopped arguing with gun nuts. There's only one way to deal with them: Government flown AC-130s. Let them take out the South Chicago gangs, the gun shows, the Remington & Colt factories, the NRA building.

And make our country safe again from ourselves.
You are the one that is sounding like the nut.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
So - you want to KILL me because I want the right to defend my family from crazy people and criminals, and uphold the Constitution.

Ghod help our nation if this is how the anti-gun nuts feel. Clearly as we have feared, lawful firearm owners are in serious physical danger both from anti-gun zealots and our very government.
If we let them take our right to keep and bear arms, America is over. Once again, Obama has jumped in to demand more controls after this incident.

We already have enough controls. The problem lies elsewhere.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
So the mentally ill should be deprived of their second amendment rights? What classifications of mental illness should be denied gun ownership?
The problem here is that the Leftists think anyone who likes guns, wants to own a gun, is "mentally ill." They describe gun owners as "gun nuts."

Old 10-02-2015, 05:16 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
States would need to pass laws that allow mentally ill patients to be hospitalized against their will.

Currently, laws can make it almost impossible to hospitalize adults involuntarily, even when their families or caregivers feel threatened and they are extremely sick.

I doubt the politicians or citizens of this country have the stomach to go there, however.
The don't necessarily need to be hospitalized, they just need to be separated from their guns. Other countries seem to do a better job addressing mentally ill, in many of these cases people see that there is a problem yet there they are showing up on a school campus one day with a 5 guns.

Mass shootings like this haappen every few months now, there needs to be a solution.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:17 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
As soon as Obama leaves office the senseless high profile mass shootings will stop ... unless Hillary or another establishment puppet get's back into the White House.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:34 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Norway has had exactly 1 mass shooting in the last 15 years and it accounted for 75% of the shooting deaths in that country over that same 10 year period.

Norway may very well be the worst example you could have come up with.
The entire population of Norway is about 5 million people, which is less than the metropolitan area of any of the top ten American cities. Compared to the US population of about 320 million, that is 1.5% of the US population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies