Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:22 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Well not just slutwalk supporters, but all people who keep screaming about how nobody has the right to judge them for how they dress. Their argument is almost always the same: "You have NO right to tell us how we dress, and thus you can't judge us for dressing the way we want."

I 100% agree that they can dress the way they want. If a women wants to go downtown almost (almost!) naked, I don't think there should be a law that says she can't. But here is where their cause turns into total nonsense: The part where they say we can't or don't have a right to judge them for it. It appears they have no idea how freedom actually works.

Since when did freedom to dress how you want also translate into freedom from being judged? How could such a freedom assuming it exists (it doesn't) even be enforced? How are you going to prevent me or anybody from judging you for how you dress? Why are you even entitled to not be judged?

The only thing, THE only thing that freedom of clothing gives you or should give you, is the freedom to dress how you want. It does not take away others freedom to look down on you for how you dress. Just like women have/should have the right to dress like sluts, other people can judge them for doing it. That is how freedom works. It comes with responsibility. You cannot prevent others others from judging you for how you look/dress. No law will ever prevent it.

Now don't get me wrong, clothing can NEVER be used as an excuse to defend any kind of violence against anybody. That isn't what I am talking about here. I am talking about this bull**** notion that women's freedom is somehow being violated if others judge them how they dress. Not for forcing them to dress in a certain way. Just for judging them for doing it. They aren't fighting for the right to dress how they want, they are fighting for the right to regulate what opinions others can have on them for the way that they dress. That's total horse crap.

So yea, that's why slutwark supporters are fools. They are fighting for a right that doesn't exist, and in my opinion should not exist.

Wanting the right to dress how you want= Ok
Wanting the right to tell others they aren't allowed to think about you in ways you don't approve= Not ok
You have the freedom to judge and "look down on" whoever you want. Anyone who says any differently doesn't know what they are talking about. That is, assuming your vocal judgement doesn't progress to harassment.

Other people have the right to judge and look down on you for being judgmental, a prude, holier than thou, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
People judge others on what they are wearing all the time, you are free to do that. What slutwalk is about is that the way a woman dresses is not an excuse for why she might get raped. A rapist will rape a woman regardless of what she is wearing.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
People can dress how they want.

But they can't expect people to hire them if they look like a weirdo.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,061 times
These women just want/need attention and because their brains are lacking they use their bodies to get it. Nothing really 'wrong' with it, it is just cheap, immature childish behavior like a kid would do to get what they want.

Best to just ignore them, like when a child has a temper tantrum.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:01 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
No, the point is you don't get to judge someone's sexual lifestyle because of the way they dress. You don't get to assume that a woman is DTF, asking to get raped, a prude, a hooker, a virgin, or anything else because of the way she chooses to dress.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
These women just want/need attention and because their brains are lacking they use their bodies to get it. Nothing really 'wrong' with it, it is just cheap, immature childish behavior like a kid would do to get what they want.

Best to just ignore them, like when a child has a temper tantrum.
Uh; there's more to "Slutwalk" than that, to be fair. Even Indian ladies IN India are getting behind the idea of being treated like human beings when out and about. Those ladies are def "conservative" in looks and clothes by US or European standards but; many of their "men" HATE the idea of their sisters being equal instead of slaves.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:18 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Their business and obviously there is never an excuse to assault\rape\rob or otherwise harm someone else.

However, if you go out in public and get drunk while wearing skimpy clothing or maybe a nice suit with an expensive watch....then stumble down the street by yourself late at night while tapping on the latest iphone....you're an idiot.

Doesn't mean it's ok for some horrible person to do god knows what to you but the reality is that there are horrible people out there and if you put yourself in bad situations that's your choice, your consequences to live with.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:22 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I guess I am out of the loop as I have no idea what you are talking about.
Ditto.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:23 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
What is a slutwalk, where is being held next, and can I go?

Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Now don't get me wrong, clothing can NEVER be used as an excuse to defend any kind of violence against anybody. That isn't what I am talking about here.
Too bad, because that's what the Slutwalks are actually trying to start a conversation about. You can judge to your heart's content [MOD CUT/flaming] .

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-02-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies