Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 11:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times

Advertisements

The recent backlash of all-things conservative and GOP-related has got me thinking lately. I've always considered myself a Republican with moderate-to-right leaning views on a lot of social issues but I find that what I believe in sort of spans both sides of the spectrum. Even sometimes leaning to the left, although I don't particularly like a lot of liberal viewpoints. So, I figured I'd get the opinions of the dark and scary CD posters and see what they think when I lay out some of my views, and how you all would consider me in the political sense.

Background....I'm a 30 year old white male who was born and raised in suburban Tennessee, but have also lived in Florida and California (the latter of which I'll be moving back to in the near future).

Like I said, I consider myself to be a Republican.

My views on some issues:

- I'm not religious. I don't mind if people are, I'm just not. I don't make fun of Christians or anything like that. I think the Christian-shaming in society right now is just stupid.
- I'm fine with gay marriage.
- I think transgender stuff is....kinda weird.....but there's no reason not to be who you feel you are. I guess I'm not one to judge.
- In the light of yesterday's shooting in Oregon.....I'm not a gun nut (never shot one in my life) and while I do believe there should be universally harsher gun laws and penalties for gun violence, I'm of the mindset that mentally messed up people are gonna get theirs either way (guns and lives). If they want to kill someone, whether it's a gang member killing another one or a mass shooting, people will find a way to kill people if that's what they want.
- Abortion. I have my own personal reasons for this, but I'm definitely pro-life.
- Immigration. I think this country has a problem with illegal immigration and something needs to happen. I believe people (mainly liberals) can make immigration reform seem like a "Trail of Tears" scenario but how long are these people going to be allowed to commit crimes, take up tax dollars, and circumvent our rules and regulations while legal immigrants pay their dues and become positive members of society? Legal immigration is totally cool with me and I've had close personal relationships with legal immigrants in the past.
- Racial tension: There are some racists who still exist. Across all races. It's dumb and people need to stop. I think "Black Lives Matter" is all well and good in theory, and it brings needed attention to race in America, but I feel like sometimes facts are missed or ignored for the sake of playing a race card. Example, the Mike Brown thing. Unfortunate situation, but two different autopsies showed that the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" incident was scientifically wrong and couldn't have happened. Yet, we see how much that deterred racial tension. Anyway, stop being racist. Which brings me to....
- Confederate flag. I think there are some rural yahoos in the south that fly the flag proudly as an ignorant racist statement, but I think most southern people use it as a symbol of just being a redneck. I think it's tacky and dumb, but I don't believe most people using the symbol are racists. People don't like hearing that but as someone who grew up in the south (granted, an urban/suburban area) that's what I believe. People make fun of the phrase "Heritage Not Hate" but I honestly do believe there are a lot of good-natured people who show off the symbol and they're just too stubborn to conform to "the evil progressive left" or whatever they might want to call them.
- Political correctness has gotten out of hand in this country IMO. Everyone is offended by everything. The term Washington Redskins? I don't care. I'll call them the Redskins until their name is changed if it ever is. Boycotting Chick Fil-A because they oppose gay rights (random I know)? I don't care. I'm for gay rights but I also like their food so I'll eat there if I want to eat there.

Anyway, as you can see I can sway towards both sides of stuff. Reading this, would you consider me, or someone who sees things like me a Republican? Democrat? Conservative? Liberal? A random hodgepodge of views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The recent backlash of all-things conservative and GOP-related has got me thinking lately. I've always considered myself a Republican with moderate-to-right leaning views on a lot of social issues but I find that what I believe in sort of spans both sides of the spectrum. Even sometimes leaning to the left, although I don't particularly like a lot of liberal viewpoints. So, I figured I'd get the opinions of the dark and scary CD posters and see what they think when I lay out some of my views, and how you all would consider me in the political sense.

Background....I'm a 30 year old white male who was born and raised in suburban Tennessee, but have also lived in Florida and California (the latter of which I'll be moving back to in the near future).

My views on some issues:

- I'm not religious. I don't mind if people are, I'm just not. I don't make fun of Christians or anything like that. I think the Christian-shaming in society right now is just stupid.
I would say this is a right leaning view. There is nothing I view in society as a whole that I would call Christian shaming, the biggest cases we have right now are all of someone in power/authority imposing their will on others who happen to not follow the Christian faith or at the least, not that power figures view of the Christian faith.

Quote:
Thats neither right or left.

Quote:
- I think transgender stuff is....kinda weird.....but there's no reason not to be who you feel you are. I guess I'm not one to judge.
Left wing.

Quote:
- In the light of yesterday's shooting in Oregon.....I'm not a gun nut (never shot one in my life) and while I do believe there should be universally harsher gun laws and penalties for gun violence, I'm of the mindset that mentally messed up people are gonna get theirs either way (guns and lives). If they want to kill someone, whether it's a gang member killing another one or a mass shooting, people will find a way to kill people if that's what they want.
right wing.

Quote:
- Abortion. I have my own personal reasons for this, but I'm definitely pro-life.
This depends on whether or not you are talking about on a personal level, or national governance.

Quote:
- Immigration. I think this country has a problem with illegal immigration and something needs to happen. I believe people (mainly liberals) can make immigration reform seem like a "Trail of Tears" scenario but how long are these people going to be allowed to commit crimes, take up tax dollars, and circumvent our rules and regulations while legal immigrants pay their dues and become positive members of society? Legal immigration is totally cool with me and I've had close personal relationships with legal immigrants in the past.
right wing.

Im against illegal immigrants being here on principle,

You seem to be against it based on the falsehood that they are stealing tax money.

Quote:
- Racial tension: There are some racists who still exist. Across all races. It's dumb and people need to stop. I think "Black Lives Matter" is all well and good in theory, and it brings needed attention to race in America, but I feel like sometimes facts are missed or ignored for the sake of playing a race card. Example, the Mike Brown thing. Unfortunate situation, but two different autopsies showed that the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" incident was scientifically wrong and couldn't have happened. Yet, we see how much that deterred racial tension. Anyway, stop being racist. Which brings me to....
Left wing.

Quote:
- Confederate flag. I think there are some rural yahoos in the south that fly the flag proudly as an ignorant racist statement, but I think most southern people use it as a symbol of just being a redneck. I think it's tacky and dumb, but I don't believe most people using the symbol are racists. People don't like hearing that but as someone who grew up in the south (granted, an urban/suburban area) that's what I believe. People make fun of the phrase "Heritage Not Hate" but I honestly do believe there are a lot of good-natured people who show off the symbol and they're just too stubborn to conform to "the evil progressive left" or whatever they might want to call them.
I hold this view, having grown up in the south as well.

Quote:
- Political correctness has gotten out of hand in this country IMO. Everyone is offended by everything. The term Washington Redskins? I don't care. I'll call them the Redskins until their name is changed if it ever is. Boycotting Chick Fil-A because they oppose gay rights (random I know)? I don't care. I'm for gay rights but I also like their food so I'll eat there if I want to eat there.
Right wing. more so because you believe Chick Fil-A is only boycotted because they are Christian, when in reality it is because of the groups they supported. There is a difference between being pro Christian and anti gay. Chick Fil a up until last year(when the donations stopped) was actually anti gay, giving to organizations that were fighting to keep gay people from getting married, adopting children, and visitation rights.

Quote:
Anyway, as you can see I can sway towards both sides of stuff. Reading this, would you consider me, or someone who sees things like me a Republican? Democrat? Conservative? Liberal? A random hodgepodge of views?
you are a random hodgepodge, like most people.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:

My views on some issues:

Conservative. You want less government in your life.
btw Social change comes by way of we the people not through governments force and coercion.

As far as this
Background....I'm a 30 year old white male who was born and raised in suburban Tennessee, but have also lived in Florida and California

Your actions define you. Not your race, sex, or where you are from. Except of course when it comes to sippin' whiskey, then Tennessee speaks volumes.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:25 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I consider myself to be an intelligent person with high morals hoping to find a candidate with the same attributes- who is unbiased to peoples differences, is not in bed with money, can act with dignity, justice. Have respect for all carry courage under their belt and tryto do the right thing for the country as a whole with out fear.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:42 PM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
You sound like a moderate Republican. You'd fit right in here in the Northeast.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Conservative. You want less government in your life.
btw Social change comes by way of we the people not through governments force and coercion.

As far as this
Background....I'm a 30 year old white male who was born and raised in suburban Tennessee, but have also lived in Florida and California

Your actions define you. Not your race, sex, or where you are from. Except of course when it comes to sippin' whiskey, then Tennessee speaks volumes.
I included the background info in case anyone would be wondering what demographic I was or maybe where I'd lived and what political surroundings I may have been influenced by.

.......and not only am I not a big whiskey guy, I actually prefer Jameson to Jack Daniels. Oops....

Old 10-02-2015, 03:55 PM

50,799 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

My views on some issues:

Let's put it this way, if you were currently running for the GOP nomination, I think you'd be down around that 1% mark.

I don't know many far left Democrats or far right Republicans (thank goodness), but most people who are sane (thereby leaving out half the posters on this forum) are a jumble of beliefs that don't strictly fit either party.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Lol...just pick the political orientation that fits you best and roll with it. Take a side.

No one here can tell you what you are.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:05 PM

19,751 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I'm close to you in a lot of those things, and I consider myself to be a middle of the road Independent. I was defined years ago as a Buckley conservative, however I do not align myself with the current right wing. I'm a fiscal conservative and certainly moderate on social issues.

As a matter of fact during any general discussion on political topics on this board and typically the far righties will automatically label me a liberal, which is kind of funny. It seems that anyone that disagrees or has a different view on even ONE topic is branded a liberal in their view. Slapping a label on someone due to their point of view is really silly IMO.

I think your views are moderate, no label necessary. I'm assuming your fiscal view is conservative as well?

Old 10-02-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm close to you in a lot of those things, and I consider myself to be a middle of the road Independent. I was defined years ago as a Buckley conservative, however I do not align myself with the current right wing. I'm a fiscal conservative and certainly moderate on social issues.

As a matter of fact during any general discussion on political topics on this board and typically the far righties will automatically label me a liberal, which is kind of funny. It seems that anyone that disagrees or has a different view on even ONE topic is branded a liberal in their view. Slapping a label on someone due to their point of view is really silly IMO.

I think your views are moderate, no label necessary. I'm assuming your fiscal view is conservative as well?
Yeah I'm fiscally conservative. I have a couple friends that are far right wing and they too kind of think I'm liberal at times, but my left wing friends also scoff at how I could possibly be okay with being Republican. Works both ways I guess.

I think social issues have blurred the party lines because in this day and age so many people are concerned with social things such as religion, gay rights, racism, etc that fiscal issues take a back seat. It seems there are a lot of broad generalizations about each party these days. If I told someone I was a white Republican male from Tennessee, how many people would think I was AT LEAST one of the following: Religious, anti-LGBT rights, or sadly, racist (in some way)? I'm sure plenty of people would generalize me that way as at least one of those because of party affiliation although none actually apply to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies