Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 03:53 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,968,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
No guns, no gun deaths.
No cars, no auto accident deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM

572 posts, read 547,665 times
Quote:
No one says that laws are not being enforced where we have them. The complaint is there are two few of them and state by state is difficult without registers and harsher cross state law breaking. There is nothing in the murder of our citizens especially little children (you do remember sandy hook?) that is hysterical, hormonal or feel good. It's insanity that is partially at least, fixable when people stop standing in front of the cowardly acts of the NRA.
the Feds are on a downward trend with respect to prosecuting federal firearms cases, especially as they relate to known violent offenders -- folks in the know indicate that the Feds are instead going after dealers, manufacturers, and traffickers - instead of the known criminal element
Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch - Washington Times

While President Obama decries gun violence and presses for more laws to restrict ownership, his Justice Department has prosecuted 25 percent fewer cases referred by the main law enforcement agency charged with reducing firearms violence across the country, a computer analysis of U.S. prosecution data shows.

Federal prosecutors, current and former ATF agents and gun law researchers told The Times that the downward trend in ATF-related prosecutions primarily reflects a Justice Department shift away from tracking down one-off violent offenders and toward prosecuting more complicated regulatory-type cases, which take longer to develop.

“Within the later part of the Bush years, case selections within the ATF have gone from mostly violent crime cases — which is their forte — toward the regulatory, where they look at dealers, manufacturers and trafficking cases,” said Robert Sanders, a former ATF assistant director. “The agency’s philosophy has shifted to guns are the problem and access to guns are the problem, rather than the criminal being the direct indicator of crime"

Old 10-05-2015, 03:55 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No cars, no auto accident deaths.
No bathtubs, no bathtub drowning deaths.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:55 PM

218 posts, read 213,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
First of all, none of the rifles you saw that day were military grade rifle not one was fully automatic or select fire. NOT ONE. The assertion that they have no other purpose but to kill people is also false. I own one and use it on my place to kill ferel pigs, which where I live are basically a rodent. It is the ideal firearm for this purpose. A so called assault rifle, is basically no different from a semi automatic hunting rifle. The only difference is it looks different. As far as function, it is less lethal than my .308 Winchester model 70 hunting rifle.
Incidentally, I am not now, nor have I ever been a member or supporter of the NRA. You may live in a house with guns, but your knowledge of them is extremely limited. It is obvious. Do a little homework.
You are never going to stop violence with a gun or knife or any other instrument. Men have been finding better ways of killing one another since the advent of the club and rock. People misused them too in their time. If you want to see a ridiculous argument,, go back and look at what you have posted after you educate yourself..
I have NO NEED to educate myself on the types of guns abounding in our world. Besides hunting and protection, all other classes of guns are for nefarious purposes, or ego only. We lived without them for ever, until lately and nothing in your world or mine requires them to be used for any other purpose than war, murder or mayhem.

If you,want an exception to this rule for hunting feral hogs that live almost no where, be my guest. Get it registered, pass background checks, get a license along with schooling for gun safety and only use it for that purpose and I don't have a complaint. There are always exceptions. I know farmers that get to use dynamite but the public at large doesn't get to open carry dynamite!

What "rifles" are you speaking of? The ones we saw at the two gun shows? Oops I mean, sportsmen shows? Yes, they were assault rifles, including ones my husband used in Vietnam, walking out the dang door bold as you please. He knows everything I need to know about guns for this argument, but thanks anyway. It's true, no one can stop all violence, no one can stop horror, but with responsible gun owners such as my husband and perhaps yourself much can be done to greatly reduce the carnage that has occurred in the last 15 years or so. But then so few responsible gun owners give a rats patootie if it's not their school being wiped out, or their place of business blown apart. I have retread all my posts. See no problem with any of them.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Sooooo,,, If you wouldn't hang out with them, they didn't have as much right to be there as you did? Are they somehow less human than you?
They had every right to be at the gun shows. I am simply stating I felt that too large of a percentage of people visiting those shows were low life's. Personal opinion only. I wouldn't be inviting them to my BBQ anytime soon. No doubt I was judged as having a stick up my behind by them, and I am ever s sad about that! Boo hoo. But yes, they had every right to be there and I gladly left them to it.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I do, but I don't have a condescending attitude towards people who are different from me.
Oh somehow I doubt that, actually I seriously doubt it.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:01 PM

572 posts, read 547,665 times
Quote:

What "rifles" are you speaking of? The ones we saw at the two gun shows? Oops I mean, sportsmen shows? Yes, they were assault rifles, including ones my husband used in Vietnam, walking out the dang door bold as you please. He knows everything I need to know about guns for this argument, but thanks anyway.
in all likelyhood, they were not functional equilavents to the rifles your husband used in VN.
they may have resembled the style of rifle he had used, but they were in all likelyhood not the same.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I have said the same thing on several threads related to this topic, but it is ignored. They are rabid on gun bans again.. This is more or less a routine. Dismiss what would work and demand something that won't.
We can't afford to keep teachers paid or buy supplies, and you want to have armed guards on every campus and grade school in the USA? Now do you,know why you don't get a response?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:06 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,896 times
Quote:
I have NO NEED to educate myself on the types of guns abounding in our world. Besides hunting and protection, all other classes of guns are for nefarious purposes, or ego only. We lived without them for ever, until lately and nothing in your world or mine requires them to be used for any other purpose than war, murder or mayhem.

If you,want an exception to this rule for hunting feral hogs that live almost no where, be my guest. Get it registered, pass background checks, get a license along with schooling for gun safety and only use it for that purpose and I don't have a complaint. There are always exceptions. I know farmers that get to use dynamite but the public at large doesn't get to open carry dynamite!

What "rifles" are you speaking of? The ones we saw at the two gun shows? Oops I mean, sportsmen shows? Yes, they were assault rifles, including ones my husband used in Vietnam, walking out the dang door bold as you please. He knows everything I need to know about guns for this argument, but thanks anyway. It's true, no one can stop all violence, no one can stop horror, but with responsible gun owners such as my husband and perhaps yourself much can be done to greatly reduce the carnage that has occurred in the last 15 years or so. But then so few responsible gun owners give a rats patootie if it's not their school being wiped out, or their place of business blown apart. I have retread all my posts. See no problem with any of them.
I guess you think your husband was the only person who served in Vietnam. If what he saw at the gun show was the same thing as what he carried, then he didn't know his weapon very well. No, what you saw WAS NOT a fully automatic weapon. No disrespect intended, but your lack of knowledge on this topic is only superseded, by your arrogance and condescending attitude. Solutions are out there, but until such time as people such as yourself are ready to sit down and accept reasonable solutions, the problems will not improve. You are never going to be able to stop all these shootings unless you find a magic pill that identifies all of the lunatics. Until that time, there will either be shootings, bombings, torchings or other means or destruction. What we can do is limit the destruction of these incidents and perhaps reduce the numbers, but you really aren't interested in that are you... You are only interested in one thing. Gun bans. Well, I can tell you right now, that is not something you are going to see in the near future. So be my guest and continue tilting at windmills. You seem to enjoy it.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:07 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,414,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As soon as Barry mentions "common sense", I have to laugh at the man who has absolutely zero common sense himself. If we need "common sense" gun laws, why doesn't the left have easy answers? You all know that making every gun owner in America pay a price (that won't have any logical effect) for the actions of a few isn't "common sense". If it were as easy as that, the major cities with the most stringent gun laws would be the least violent places.

Everything is political with Barry....he will NEVER make a statement that could remotely "offend" his base.
His name is Barack. You may address him as Mr. President
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies