Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,129,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It really doesn't matter what this guy's racial makeup is. The only reason it's become a big deal to a lot of people is because there WAS and IS an agenda of sorts with the media to not release that info to try to prevent people from getting racist ideas from simple facts. It's been going on for so long, and is so obvious, that it makes people who aren't even racist assume the worst.

Another grand social experiment that has negative consequences that nobody saw coming back in the day. The country would be so much better off if media stuck to the facts and dumped all the spins. Let the people be mad at the criminals and not immediately go searching for the criminals race because they know it's being hidden. THAT is a huge part of the problem right there because when people know they are being played it never ends well.
Well said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It really doesn't matter what this guy's racial makeup is. The only reason it's become a big deal to a lot of people is because there WAS and IS an agenda of sorts with the media to not release that info to try to prevent people from getting racist ideas from simple facts. It's been going on for so long, and is so obvious, that it makes people who aren't even racist assume the worst.

Another grand social experiment that has negative consequences that nobody saw coming back in the day. The country would be so much better off if media stuck to the facts and dumped all the spins. Let the people be mad at the criminals and not immediately go searching for the criminals race because they know it's being hidden. THAT is a huge part of the problem right there because when people know they are being played it never ends well.
I agree with you that the media should "stick to the facts" and present them as impartially as possible. Unfortunately, such has never been the case and is not today.

Twenty some-odd years ago Randy Weaver was relentlessly called a "white supremacist" by the media in the Ruby Ridge assault on him in which his son and wife were killed by FBI snipers. Eventually, they settled on calling him a "white separatist" after members of Congress took up his case. This was my first realization that there was some kind of agenda afoot in demonizing whites. In the succeeding years we have seen instance after instance of the MSM emphasizing such "white supremacist" leanings (perceived or accurate) when the perp is white, the most recent being the portrayal of Dylan Roof as such. When an Asian or a mixed race person is the perp race is presented as little more than a footnote--indeed, hardly mentioned, if at all. In either case the cry for "more gun control" becomes the battle cry.

What I find really disturbing about both the Dylan Roof and Chris Mercer incidents is that both targeted specifically Christians--a fact downplayed by the media. We shall see if Christians become the target of future massacres.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Back in the day, when snopes was the only place to go to "fact check" I noticed their tendency to lean left in various and subtle ways. I have found TruthorFiction to be much more objective.
Perhaps you were not happy when they debunked stuff that supported your own leanings, and then you decided they must be 'left leaning'.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Perhaps you were not happy when they debunked stuff that supported your own leanings, and then you decided they must be 'left leaning'.
Really, there is no need to turn this difference of opinion into a personal attack, however mild, but since you did here is my view......

After eight decades of life I have reached the point in life where I rely on my own experience and perceptions to form my world view than I do the opinions of others. In the early days of my "computer life" (late 1990's) I viewed snopes as impartial, entertaining and informative and I thought they were the be-all-end-all for good information. (Not sure when snopes was founded but it was in this timeframe.) Before long I began to see a leftish bias to their political posts--this was early 2000's. After other fact-finding sites popped up I began going to them and found their tone to be more impartial--which is what I wanted. Occasionally, I would compare pages on the same subject of other sites with snopes. The facts, as presnted, may be identical but I would find subtle differences in presentation. I still look for impartiality--"just the facts, ma'am"--and I get more of that from the other fact-finding sites than I do from snopes. While others have tried to present snopes and their founders as hard leftists and in the pockets of progressives, I just see them as biased left. I suspect that with all the criticism they have seen in recent years they may have tried to avoid being perceived as blatant leftists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies